Albany/Linn County help

M
Mid-Valley Angler
hey there everyone i have been fishing for a couple years now and it seems like this years really slow i recently moved to Albany and recently:) i have not had much luck on anything really i have fished timber linn freeway lakes waverly the calapooia and the Willamette all bank fishing tried for bass crappie and trout i have caught a few trout at waverly other than that one crappie at freeway lakes about 12 1/2 inches, and 5 trout at foster a while backand thats it ive used power-bait, worms corn, jigs, spinners, top water frogs, buzz baits and swimbaits.

i have actually never caught a large mouth/small mouth bass before and recently got into bass fishing and done a lot of the necessary beginner research but unfortunately have yet to hook one on i have had a few bites but no sets i know its little late in season but ive been trying to stay positive and see tons of people catching them in fall i wonder am i going to wrong places or doing something wrong just looking for some tips from any veterans from the area or if i just need to travel farther?

read of some places ive been wanting to try:ee Wilson,Walter Wirth Lake,simpson, Swan Lake ,long tom, detroit lake. but those are a ittle far for a short day of fishin after wrk but still want to know more

mainly just want to start this thread for within 30-40 mins of Albany Lebanon Corvallis area. where to go and what species are in there? what do u recommend using? down for all species just love the challenge and getting to reel em in any info would be much appreciated i go out often so wil update and check this often if i manage any luck

Have a Nice day

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. Glad to have ya on board.

The Long Tom, was "home turf" when I was in middle and high school (mid to late 70's). It's got MANY species, to pick from: smallies, bucketmouths, carp, crappie, 'gills, cats, cutts and more. Upstream from Fern Ridge, is pretty much a trout show (with some 'bows there too, I believe). From Fern Ridge down, and in the lake itself, is where you'll find the rest.

IMO EE Wilson, and Walter Wirth are overused and overcrowded--and pretty much only have planted trout. Detroit has 'bows, kokes, and chinokanee. Bank fishing for trout can be good; IF you can get down to the water. I'll have to leave the rest, up to someone else.

M
Mid-Valley Angler
any good spots for bass a little closer to albany

J
Joshuablue77
Albany/Linn County Help

Albany/Linn County Help

mid valley angler, I know a huge large mouth and small mouth bass hole in the Albany and corvallis area, hit me up through e mail and I'll get ya going jroath15@Gmail.Com

troutdude
troutdude
The Simpson log ponds, in Albany, hold bass. And the lake farthest to the west--at Freeway Lakes--also has bucketmouths. But I don't think it can be fished very well, from the shore. And it has TONS of poison oak, all around it.

C
Combat Chuck
Around Albany, your best bet from the bank is probably the willamette. The ponds can be very difficult unless you have a small boat. You can catch trout at Foster year round. It also has a large bass population.

troutdude
troutdude
Good ideas Chuck. I forgot about the bass, in Foster.

M
Mid-Valley Angler
Loving all the reply's thank you for the useful info keep it coming i hope this thread can help others in the area as well, and joshua ill get around to e mailing u this evening thanks tons everyone keep it coming
Just fyi will be getting my intex seahawk 4 tommorrow in mail and plan to do wood floor mod and some others so i will have access to a boat withing the bext few weeks :)

happy fishin

M
Mid-Valley Angler
Where at on the willamete ive yet to have luck, bait choices?

C
Combat Chuck
I really like tubes in boring colors (think dirt and dirty green). Spinners are any easy one to start with too.

G
Gary W
Swan lake just above waverly used to be good. I once broke a rod on a wide mouth bass. You can get access from the spillway above the bridge under Pacific blvd You could probably knock on a few doors and probably someone would let you fish on their property. I do not think it gets much fishing pressure. probably some lunkers in it. I have also caught blue gill and trout below waverly lake in the creek. If you go to simpson ponds at night you can get catfish and if you go down the road below the south pond and know where the honda trails are you can walk to the river. It used to be full of large carp and pike Minnows(used to be called squaw fish). We used corn for bait for them. Also if you are in the lebanon area the old champion log pond has big bass. I think they have a different name for it now days. And the south santiam river below the bridge off grant street could get salmon and steelhead and cutthroat trout and also the lebanon dam on the south santiam. You can fish below that if you can get access these days.

M
Mid-Valley Angler
i feel as if i am terrible at this or i am doing something wrong ive been fishing for bass for two and a half months now 3-4 times a week and at least 3-4 hrs each time i go,ive went to many ponds and lakes where i was suggested even when i can seee them cast past em and wrk their area still nothing. i have watched thousands of videos read tons about lures techniques and what it takes to catchem.

and still have yet to catch my first bass idk what im doing wrong i have:
plastic worms (have tried texas rigging and wacky)
plastic crawdads
real worms
different depths of swimbaits some jointed some not
plastic swim baits
jigs
top water frogs
top water poppers

usually try at least 2 or 3 everytrip
AND STILL NOTHING

i fish cover, docks, open water, weeds you name it
every tip from a pro or a joe shmoe that i have heard i apply
im beggining to become very discouraged and thinkin maybe i just can't bass fish idk about to give it up but any last few tips would help :/

F
Fish
Mid-Valley Angler said:
i feel as if i am terrible at this or i am doing something wrong ive been fishing for bass for two and a half months now 3-4 times a week and at least 3-4 hrs each time i go,ive went to many ponds and lakes where i was suggested even when i can seee them cast past em and wrk their area still nothing. i have watched thousands of videos read tons about lures techniques and what it takes to catchem.

and still have yet to catch my first bass idk what im doing wrong i have:
plastic worms (have tried texas rigging and wacky)
plastic crawdads
real worms
different depths of swimbaits some jointed some not
plastic swim baits
jigs
top water frogs
top water poppers

usually try at least 2 or 3 everytrip
AND STILL NOTHING

i fish cover, docks, open water, weeds you name it
every tip from a pro or a joe shmoe that i have heard i apply
im beggining to become very discouraged and thinkin maybe i just can't bass fish idk about to give it up but any last few tips would help :/

Hire a guide?

It's like having a teacher. A fishing sensei and the result is a black belt in bass!

M
Mid-Valley Angler
So encouraging....
sigh*

troutdude
troutdude
Keep trying. And remember, it's called fishing...and not "catching". If you give up; you're guaranteed to not catch any.

M
mjans813
After fishing multiple ponds and little streams in the area over the summer, I'd say the best spot to catch a largemouth pretty easily would be the slough off of kiger island rd. in Corvallis (I've caught some good sized smallmouth in there as well). It'd be pretty tough to not catch a fish by tossing out a black/gold blade panther martin out there. If you want some bigger fish, though, I'd go with a pig on a jig or a 3-4" senko wacky rigged drop shot. A (what I think) underrated smallmouth river is the luckiamute. You can find some pretty good bank spots if you go north on buena vista rd. off of springhill.

I will also echo what was said above: it's called fishing, not catching. don't get discouraged! we all get skunked from time to time - especially when exploring new spots and how/where to fish them.

M
Mid-Valley Angler
Still no luck been out 4 times since last post

troutdude
troutdude
Hire a guide, go out with peeps on this forum / or other forums that you may know. Find someone that knows how to get it done; and you'll see a geometric rise, in your learning curve.

M
mjans813
Mid-Valley Angler said:
Still no luck been out 4 times since last post

What baits/lures are you using? With the weather and water cooling a little bit, I've noticed at my spots that bass are hitting more in the 1-3' range and closer to shore. Don't overlook things like roostertails and PMs. Rapalas have been working really well lately for me, too.

M
Mid-Valley Angler
I've used Texas rig Worm wacky rig tried as well 6"&4" i've tried a couple of my top water frogs chartreuse and white buzz bait and just white spinnerbait with and without trailers I have a couple jigs tried them with and without trailers usually use a craw trailer I have some soft plastic swim baits of Shad color, jointed Rapalla rapshad swim bait and a few other swim baits and I have a few rooster tails