After over 20 years it’s time to get my line wet!

Alan

Good morning and Merry Christmas, I have posted a very few times and want to say what a great, informational board this is! When I was just out of high school started fishing seriously, this was back in the late 70’s through the 80’s. Salmon,Steelhead, trout, bass and crappie, plus some jetty fishing. I fished mostly Nestucca, three rivers, and the North Santiam area. With the 80’s came my four sons so my fishing shifted to bating hooks and untangling lines, and rigging poles, lol. Wouldn’t change that for anything. Flash forward to 2020, I have more time now that I have retired and after over a 20 year absence it’s time to get my line wet again. I live in the Rainier, Oregon area (lower Columbia) but as you know that river is closed more than it is open. The upper north fork of the Nehalem is fairly close but with the lack of rain I would think it will be some time before very dark steelies show up....correct? But I know very little about the areas to fish in my area as far as lakes and rivers go, I want to surf fish also, I have watched a few guys and it looks like a kick, I also want to jetty fish and in the near future pick up a sea kayak and gain safe experience with it before I venture out of Depoe Bay as one fantastic member here did. On 1/2/20 I will be buying my license with tags to follow as fish appear, I want to stick to the species I knew with exception of surf fish, so not ready for sturgeon or walleye yet. Any suggestions were to start in my area for some early January fishing? I am also hoping for tips on spots that are open. I have copies the fishing regulations but reading them is much different than they read in the 70’s and 80’s... I know I have to figure them out just hoping for knowledgable current fisherman and fisherwomen for some educated guidance, of course I will check the regs myself before I go...... I would rather research tips from you than research the complete regulations looking for a spot to go. I appreciate any guidance you are willing to provide, Alan

Irishrover

Most Featured
Well welcome and Merry Christmas. You are somewhat close to Big Creek and Gnat Creek. Ben a long time but they used to produce good runs of steelhead.

pinstriper

Cullaby Lake in Gearhart, Coffenberry inside Ft. Stevens are good winter trout options. The Clatsop Spit itself when it isnt windy and the surf isnt too sporty is fine surf perch water. Check the tides and clamming closures, maybe combine razor clams and surf perch in a trip.

I bought my licenses two weeks ago. No need to wait.

Head over to NWKA for kayak fishing advice and contacts.

Alan

Thanks to both of you! Gnat creek is pretty close glad to hear there may be some decent steelhead fishing in the area. I am ready to get out there. Thanks for the heads up on getting my license early! I will check the regs on Gnat creek and start exploring it. But really ready for some sea (black) bass again. Use to fish off Cape Kawanda and loved it but I learned quick to watch the surf closely even on calm days. I have watch a few fish the surf at Sunset beach so may try that soon also. Thanks again and looking for any and all tips!

pinstriper

Tillamook bay along the south jetty wall is where a lot of kayak fishing and crabbing takes place in the right tides and conditions. I try to do that a couple times a year (had a knee issue last year and didn't make it).

Black, copper, etc. rockfish (sea bass) galore in that area. Plus of course launching at Pacific City and fishing around the cape for cabezon, lings, and salmon when you are ready to manage launching in the surf.

Top Bottom