Quepos, Costa Rica October fishing report

B
bigsteel
GringoJohn said:
That would be fun. It seems like the red / pink lures are always the ones that have the bites in offshore fly fishing. I wonder why he was casting right there. Was there some action and then he stopped to throw the fly, or were they just in open water throwing the fly?

I was wondering that too,,,maybe they were chumming til the sharks came within range..i couldnt imagine stripping in line and WAM SHARK ON

G
GringoJohn
bigsteel said:
I was wondering that too,,,maybe they were chumming til the sharks came within range..i couldnt imagine stripping in line and WAM SHARK ON

Yeah, I guess that would have to be the case. When i'm that far out, I can't anchor because it would be 1000 feet deep, but I bet it was shallower there. Maybe they have shredded fish in the livewell?

B
bigsteel
GringoJohn said:
Yeah, I guess that would have to be the case. When i'm that far out, I can't anchor because it would be 1000 feet deep, but I bet it was shallower there. Maybe they have shredded fish in the livewell?

do you ever fly fish out on the ocean?what do you like to catch that puts up the biggest fight?

G
GringoJohn
bigsteel said:
do you ever fly fish out on the ocean?what do you like to catch that puts up the biggest fight?

Marlin. By Far. We run teaser with ballyhoo in the center, no hooks. When the Marlin, or sailfish, comes up to eat the teaser we stop the boat and reel in the teaser. The fish keeps following the teaser and then they cast out and if the angler can put the fly in between the Marlin and the teaser, it'll hit and then we are chasing the fish with the boat so you won't get spooled! It's a ton of fun. The sailfish will put about a 30-60 minutes fight, and the marlin is an all day thing. It's a blast!

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Note to self...Self get out the to-do list again! Must catch big fat green fishies!!! Oh,and the ones with the long pointy nose thingy,too!