Advise on a Electric Trollng Motor Battery

F
Flying Fish
I bought a pontoon boat recently that came with a trolling motor and a newer looking 12 volt battery. My question is about battery charging. I have an old car battery "trickle" charger that has a gauge, green meaning full charge. I think it charges full overnight on a car battery. I haven't used it in years. Any suggestions on charging? How long does a charge last when using one of these little MinKota motors? The pontoon boat is light, maybe 100lbs. Should I buy a charger that is designed for boat batterys?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the family...

Welcome to the family...

Flying Fish said:
I bought a pontoon boat recently that came with a trolling motor and a newer looking 12 volt battery. My question is about battery charging. I have an old car battery "trickle" charger that has a gauge, green meaning full charge. I think it charges full overnight on a car battery. I haven't used it in years. Any suggestions on charging? How long does a charge last when using one of these little MinKota motors? The pontoon boat is light, maybe 100lbs. Should I buy a charger that is designed for boat batterys?

Welcome to the fishing forum family! As you may have heard,this is the premier forum for friendly fishing folk.
I moved your thread here so the boat and motor members could better help you out. We have a couple other threads on this very topic. You could check the archives for them or wait for fresh opinions.

B
bd2cool
Hi Flying Fish.

I have Minn Kota and when I first got it I used the type of charge that you have.
I didn't like it very much.
When I have a chance to fish I fish a lot. The charger that I had would take 10 to 14 hours to charge me battery which meant that as soon as I got home the charger went on-and some times I would go back out with a battery only 75% charged.

I now have an Schumacher SC-8000A - 80 amp 30<>12 amp , 2 amp with Engine Start charger. I can charger both battery in about 6 hours.
I got mine from Bi-Mart for $83.

Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled

• 80 Amp Engine Start – for emergency starting.

• 12<>30 Amp Fast Charge - self-adjusting, variable charge rates for everyday charging needs and maintaining your battery in peak condition. Charges and automatically desulfates and restores car, truck, RV, farm equipment, AGM, gel cell and deep-cycle batteries.

• 2 Amp Slow Charge – for charging and maintaining small batteries; charges motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and lawn tractor batteries.

• 125 Amp, Sure-Grip Clamps – for top and side-mounted battery posts.

• Electronic Touch-Pad Controls – easy-to-select switches for Digital Display, Battery Type or Charge/Start. Choose from 12V regular automotive, 12V deep-cycle, 12V AGM or gel cell and 6V regular batteries.

F
Flying Fish
bd2cool-It looks like I am heading to Bi-Mart-Thanks for the info
Flying Fish

B
bd2cool
You are welcome.