Advice/Questions?

T

Tribal16

My buddies and i are looking for a good place to fish for trout.

We probably wont know what we are doing but we are def going to try :D

We live by the Portland airport and are wondering if their are any lakes near us ( within 75 miles ) that are good for fishing at this time. I have herd Benson lake by multnomah falls is decent but i have never actually been their. We are going to cast from the shore.

Any advice on what kind of bait to use and stuff would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :dance:

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Welcome!

Welcome!

My buddies and i are looking for a good place to fish for trout.

We probably wont know what we are doing but we are def going to try :D

We live by the Portland airport and are wondering if their are any lakes near us ( within 75 miles ) that are good for fishing at this time. I have herd Benson lake by multnomah falls is decent but i have never actually been their. We are going to cast from the shore.

Any advice on what kind of bait to use and stuff would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :dance:

Tribal16;
Welcome to Oregon's best fishing forum. If you are looking for friendly fisher folk to share information with,you hit the jackpot.
There are a multitude of fishing opportunities in your area. Here is a link for tons of info: Boat Escape; Ultimate Oregon Boating, Camping, Fishing Resource click on the 'Rivers & Lakes' at the top of the page and have fun. It is always great to hear from people anxious to get into the hobby/sport.
Don't forget to come back and share your story.
Be safe.
Barb

18406ej

18406ej

Tribal16,

Welcome to OFF! I don't know anything about Benson Lake, but if you go to the OFF Search Engine located at the top of your page and type in "Benson", you will find several articles posted about it in the archives. It looks like it may not be the best place for bank fishing, and that KastMasters are the killer lure to use there.

Good luck,

T

trollin4trout

Here's the basic powerbait setup:

powerbaitsetup.jpg

Powerbait floats off the bottom to keep your bait out the debris on the bottom. You can adjust the length of the leader between the swivel and the hook to change the distance it floats up. Be sure to test the hook/ powerbait before you cast to make sure it floats. Some hooks may be too heavy- lighter/smaller hook or MORE powerbait!

After your cast, set the pole down and tighen up SOME of the slack. Your line should NOT be tight. There should be a nice bow in the line as it heads towards the waterline. Now a fish can pick up the bait without feeling any resistance. When you see your line begin to twitch/ then straighten out- fish on!

Casting lures can be good also- roostertails, kastmasters, other spinners and spoons.

Hartman Pond is the little lake on your right as you enter the park to Benson Lake. It is also stocked with trout- I've actually had better luck here.

North Fork Reservoir- east of Estacada (not open 'tii May 23rd)is a great place to bank fish for trout- lots of bank access and stocked heavily.

Just before go up the hill before you get to N.F. is a sign leading to Faraday Lake. Open all year. Stocked and sometimes with excess steelhead.

Another half hour up the Clackamas is Harriet Lake- watch the stocking report.

If you go up Hwy 26 past Mt. Hood- there are LOTS of lakes- Trillium, Clear, Frog, Timothy- check the stocking report and go soon after.

Trojan Ponds (west of St. Helens-not the mountain!)- stocked and lots of bank access.

Vernonia Pond in Vernonia.

In Hood River- Lost Lake, Lawrence Lake(no bait allowed), Kingsley Res. (small but HEAVILY stocked)some big fish go in here too.

There- that should occupy you for a summer or two!!!!!

Jim

T

Tribal16

Thanks for the quick responses! :lol:

All those lakes sound very fun and i will def try them!

benson lake was stocked with 4,000 trout 4 days ago, i am going to head out their today and try my best heh :dance:

i also was wondering what kind of line i should use? i put 4 lb test on so hopefully that is around the right ballpark!

Last edited:
T

Troutier Bassier

Salish ponds is A GREAT fishing spot. Right in Fairview, Off Gilsan and 122nd. (Google it "Salish ponds, OR") tomarrow they are stocking it with 2500 leagal. (8 inch) and 125 trophy (16+ inches). Head out there on LATE friday or saturday morning . Use the powerbait set up EXCEPT use power eggs in a Chartruse color. KILLER! I will be there myself on friday/sunday And I will be using a Kastmaster Or Rapalas.

Good Luck
TightLines!

T

Tribal16

Today we caught our limits in like 30 minutes.

We literally casted out and a fish would be on hehe =)

most of the fish were pretty small thou. Benson lake is def a good place to fish =) despite the lack of fishing spots along with the rude people who are their.

This one guy kept cutting down branchs everywhere for some reason and then took our fishing spot when we were trying to dehook this fish. :(

we were using pink powereggs

T

Troutier Bassier

NICE! School is over for the week so im going to salish ponds in a bit. But thats awesome limmiting out in 30 mins! Great job. See you learned something on this site!

T

Troutier Bassier

not over like its over for they year, but Imean i dont have school over the weekend. I get out on june 8th

Top Bottom