Advice on buying a pontoon boat

kirkster
kirkster
I'm looking to by a pontoon boat,
I need some advice as I've never even sat on one. I spent many hours as a kid all the way up to now in a drift boat so I'm expierienced in that field. My uses would be drifting the sandy and the clack at any given point throughout the year. So winter conditions are a factor. The advice I need is like how big of toon should I get to run these rivers in winter conditions. The other day I saw a guy on the sandy on an 8' toon and it didn't look all to stable to me. Any other advice would be appreciated as far as set up and add ons. Thanks in advance

O
OnTheFly
kirkster said:
I'm looking to by a pontoon boat,
I need some advice as I've never even sat on one. I spent many hours as a kid all the way up to now in a drift boat so I'm expierienced in that field. My uses would be drifting the sandy and the clack at any given point throughout the year. So winter conditions are a factor. The advice I need is like how big of toon should I get to run these rivers in winter conditions. The other day I saw a guy on the sandy on an 8' toon and it didn't look all to stable to me. Any other advice would be appreciated as far as set up and add ons. Thanks in advance

Hey kirkster, I've got a bucks bag 8' bronco and it's great for lakes and river riffles in summer but I only sit 6in. above the water. I don't think I would trust it in winter river levels. Take a look at the larger toons in the link. A bucks bag Extreme would be the minimum size I would use in faster water. I have owned my boats for years and they are built very well with stainless steel frames and high quality polyurethane bladders. They are pricey though.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
i have an 8 foot creek co pontoon. I've taken it down the river in the winter, and it was very stable. However, this was down the Siuslaw, and I'm not familiar with the Sandy or Clack, I imagine they are a bit more hardcore than the 'slaw. However, I absolutely love my pontoon. I have had it for about 5 years, and had no problems with it, until this year...and both pontoons ended up getting leaks. They're fixed now, hopefully. I will find out for sure in December lol. I gotta say though, I wish I had a 9 footer for river use, but I do fine with what I've got.

kirkster
kirkster
JeannaJigs said:
i have an 8 foot creek co pontoon. I've taken it down the river in the winter, and it was very stable. However, this was down the Siuslaw, and I'm not familiar with the Sandy or Clack, I imagine they are a bit more hardcore than the 'slaw. However, I absolutely love my pontoon. I have had it for about 5 years, and had no problems with it, until this year...and both pontoons ended up getting leaks. They're fixed now, hopefully. I will find out for sure in December lol. I gotta say though, I wish I had a 9 footer for river use, but I do fine with what I've got.

Thanks jenna, Thats excactly the input I'm looking for.

Irishrover
Irishrover
pontoon size

pontoon size

It depends on what part of the river you are fishing. I have an 8' Bucks Bag South Fork and there is no way in hell I'd ever take it down from Dodge Park to Oxbow. I made that trip with a guide in a 14' pontoon last March when the river was at 12'. Most of the guys that run that strech of river use 16' pontoons. If you want to run that piece of water I'd seriously consider min 16' and go with a guide to learn the route.

From Oxbow to Dabney you can get by with a smaller one, and from Dabney to Lewis and Clark is a piece of cake. The only problem with Dabney to Lewis and Clark is jet boats run that strech and you want to be visable so riding higher in the water is of value. I prefer to use my driftboat from Oxbow on down. I'm drier and have more room to take gear (like coffee). I won't run Dodge to Oxbow in the drift boat and my pontoon is way to small for that water when it is at runable levels.

On the lower Clack I have seen and know guys that use 8' toons. (Barton to Carver) Again for me I prefer the drift boat, but it's pontoonable water.

Hope you find the right one. ;)

Last edited:
L
lizardman
Kirk,

I have an Outcast "Fishcat 9" that is rebadged as a "Sportsman's 9" (same manufacture and boat, just that Sportsman's was buying them by the thousands and rebadging them and selling them for a little less than MSRP) that is in the classifieds.

Dave

K
koboabe
I am super novice, but I purchased a 10.5' Dave Scadden toon last spring.

I took it from Dodge to Oxbow during the summer... I think the river was at 900CFS.
it was pretty hairy.
I havent had any problems on the Clac yet, but I havent taken it out during the winter.

M
Markcanby
I have a 9' Creek Co an love it! In my opinion it can go anywhere I would want to go. Very stable in the water an easy to control I have taken in the lower Molalla in the spring an most people I know wouldnt take a drift boat down that because of all the snags but I had no problem getting around them. I wouldnt go over a 12' for sure an with the 12' from Creek Co there are a lot off accessories like a standing platform. Bottom line I would say if you can't do it in a 9' toon you shouldnt do it at all!

kirkster
kirkster
Very helpful

Very helpful

Thanks to all who replied with opinions and info it will certainly help with my decision. Thanks again Kirk