Advice for Trollin Big C tomorrow

J
just1nook
Looking for any tips for the troll tomorrow. Got my friends boat setup, plannin on headless brined with bad azz dye and garlic etc. short dropper probably? Any best depths or spots between 205 and the rr bridge? Don't really know what Im doin but givin it a try anyways.

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have not fished but one day up there, and we only got one, but it was opening day pretty much, and not as many fish were there yet I guess. But I have been having most of my success on 7"-13" droppers, in 19-27 feet of water. A few have come out of deeper, and shallower sections, but that is where they seem to hang out right now. We downstream rally, cut plug Red Lables. Cut one right hand, and the other lefty. See if they like one roll, over the other. So far they have not had preference, but I bet you the fish will, before they kick us off the water this season. We also run a K-14X on the bank side rod holder if three or more rods are in. It targets Chinook, but the most action we have had on it, have been coming from large, finned Steelhead lately. Good luck Chris!

J
just1nook
So you fish the willy huh. Would that be a better choice? It is a freakin zoo on the C, was going there because i have at least trolled it with another captain before. Do you fish Sellwood area? Wouldn't mind trying down there just need alittle info about where the right water is etc.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Oh, no I usually fish under the I-5 bridge, and in front of the airport normally. But I have been out on the Willy a few times, with a little luck. But yes I fish the Sellwood area a lot for Springers, but if you hit the Willy, head down from the crowds, and find the same depth water that the fleets are in, and fish those. Low hole the hog line! We do it all the time on the Columbia if there is a wall of downstreamers comin at ya. From what I saw on my way out, and back home today, I would want to hit the Big C. There were hundrends of boats in the Willy. Columbia is a zoo, but much easier to navigate than the Willamette right now. I would fish the Columbia and if you don't hit one by the time the tide swaps direction, hit the Willy if you have time. Those fish are not as affected by the push/pull of tides.

J
just1nook
High tide is around 715 am. So maybe switch rivers when the tide is goin out? less fish coming in then right?

A
ArcticAmoeba
The fish are going to be in the river all day, up that far. But, a lot are finding the bite to slow way down most days after it turns. The fish will push in, and wash back out of the mouth for days until a pumper tide pushes them all the way over the bar, but we really don't need to worry about more fish coming in that far up. What fish are there, probably have been for a day or two at minimum. But yeah, I have played the switch game, and come up with great results some days. Catch and kick a buncha fins in the Big River, then move over to the Willy, and hit some clipped fish after a good lunch break.

F
FishSchooler
Tons of boats on the willy in down town/near ross island... Tons of boats in the morning and afternoon (saw it on the way home from omsi). Couldnt tell if anyone caught anything from the bridge though! :lol: Maybe there are fish there...

A
ArcticAmoeba
10 fish below the Falls in the evening, only 3 to the boats. 7 were Sea Cat meals. Day before 46 fish for 46 boats at a ramp on the Columbia though. They are starting to make an appearance en masse...

F
fisch
Mult. Channel

Mult. Channel

Tried channel with my neighbors today. Plug-cut, prawn spinners, K15x but no action. Saw 1 pulled out of sooo many boats not really encouraging. Maybe next time.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Dam has been pumpin. So finding pocket holes is the only way, and it becomes much harder when te water is up 6 feet in 3 days.