Advice about fishing the Willamette in the middle of Eugene?

T
Tyman729
How's it going guys? New member and very novice at fishing. So I pretty much have the willamette running through my back yard. It looks pretty low, hell I can see the bottom pretty clear and could probably walk across the river. Anyway because of school starting again I can't afford a fishing trip this weekend :sad:. I figured if the weather was nice, I would just wade in the water. Any of you guys think that there is any fishing running in the low water? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

S
sapo
Hey! I really don't know much about the Willy in Eugene, but from what I've heard you can typically find at least a couple steelhead in there year round..But if it was in my backyard I'd be fishing it every single day! Learn the river! Spinners work for steelies there I'm pretty sure.

T
Throbbit _Shane
People catch summers pretty good this time of year up by dexter, they arnt the best quality eating but could be decent smoked up. Good luck.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

T
Tyman729
I don't have a steelhead tag....:sour: If I get my hands on a limb trimmer and a weed eater, I could fish right out my back door. With a long list of excuses and the restrictions, it wasn't number one priority. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

throbbit_shane, I see you are a donkey show fan.

P
pinstriper
Tyman729 said:
I don't have a steelhead tag....:sour: If I get my hands on a limb trimmer and a weed eater, I could fish right out my back door. With a long list of excuses and the restrictions, it wasn't number one priority. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I think the Willy qualifies as a Columba trib, so you'd need the columbia basin endorsement as well.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Tyman729 said:

You can luck in to one while trout fishing. And I was big fan of the donkey show, miss hearing those guys on the radio.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

S
steelhead_stalkers
The Willie in Eugene is a sad, fishless river. Especially this year with very few steelhead over the falls. You might be able to catch some suckers though.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I read there may be some walleye in the river and there are apparent reports of channel catfish as far upriver as Dexter dam.
I won't vouch for that but the only way to know is to fish it.
Also don't overlook small mouth bass that are reported to be plentiful in some parts of the Willamette near Eugene.
I've Also been reading that the Mackenzie river is being fairly productive for trout and some Steel Heads.
But as I'm a newby to the area also, (this is my second fall fishing season) it might be best for you to just fish and see what happens.
Don't forget to post your results, whether positive or negative.
It always good to know what doesn't work as well as what does.

T
Terry
Lots of trout. There are also largemouth near sloughs. Just fish.

T
TTFishon
PM sent.