Advanced Speycasting

B
bigdog
That's pretty cool I might have to play around and give that a try. Most likely I'll end up in a tangled mess but what they heck.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have the basics down but that makes my head hurt. Think I need some dramamine!

E
everett464
good god... You could Bank fish the Columbia with a cast like that.

M
Markcanby
Hell what you need that big expensive rod for I can do that with my 4wt.

E
everett464
I can do that with my 4wt.

I actually have been experimenting quite a bit with single handed spey technique this summer with mixed results. What I have found is that, in the right stream, I can add about 15 feet to the end of my roll cast, and if I employ the fighting butt of my 8 wt as a half-assed handle I can make that almost 25 feet. That said, it is clear that you really do need the extra length of a Spey rod to really make it look like it supposed to. I think it is just difficult to pull off any of the "advanced" techniques when you are manipulating the line just 7 or 8 feet above the surface of the water.

I just bought a Royal Wulff Triangle Taper (Edit, it is the "Ambush" Triangle Taper line) shooting head line, and I am looking forward to getting it out on the river this week.

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
For real I have seen a couple Steelheading shows where they showed how toss a little Spey into your single handed rods I just havent had the nerve or need to try.

E
everett464
I like playing with it, even when there isn't necessarily a need. I figure if I don't practice it, I will kick myself when the time comes.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I played with it a couple years ago and buried a 2/0 steelhead fly into the back of my arm way up the bend of the hook. Not be all survivorman but I had cut it out with a knife after the pulling-it-out-with-line trick didn't work. Thank god it was cold out haha...

I'll stick to my light tackle goals thank you very much..

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've used the snap t and double spey on my 5wt when the conditions were not great (wind) to get the fly out on the water. The cast are just more tools in the box. What the guy was doing with the 14' rod is not something I do. If it were to be a windy day that style of casting would flop. There are some spey caster who us 15' and longer rods but they are more for casting competition and show. The skagit style of spey casting at least here on the North West rivers is a wee bit more user friendly and is geared toward actual fishing. Switch rods are a great way to go also.;)

N
ninja2010
switch rods are the best for our waters here - small to medium... for the bigger rivers, nothing beats the full size spey canons.

those spiral rolls and figure 8 rolls are tricky with skagit lines, but work great with long belly and skandi lines. the most i can do with my skagit setups is the snake roll... any fancier move to lift the line out of the water turns the "cast" into a candidate for the blooper reel. :lol:

i tried spey casting on my single hander when i first started, and it's just not even close to doing it with a switch or spey rod... size of rod does matter ;)

but check this guy out, if you're wanting to work the buggy whip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QhDavr24xA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZJhum4_Q4&feature=related

Last edited:
E
eggs
I single hand spey.. it's isn't too bad but after 50'(end of my floating head) + 15'(sink tip) + 9' (leader) there is NO WAY i can figure out how to get more line out.. you have to have more rod lenght to get anymore out..