Adjustible leader rig

M

mrlindeman

:D Karen and I came up with this idea last night. Im not sure if I have ever seen any one use it before. It provides the ability to adjust the depth of the bait simply by moving a tiny split shot. The main slider weight is behind a swivel that connects to the leader. I dont think the fish will feel the resistance of that small split shot. I will try it and report back with any catch info.
FISHRIG.png

D

Drew9870

Banned User
I had good success with this rig last year at Wirth, I prefer a size PSS-B Split Shot, which is a size smaller than BB, found at Dicks as Water Gremlin brand.

I've got a couple Trout on Hair-Rigs, one was last month on Hair Rigged Powerbait :lol:.

If you fish close range, like the day of stocking, use ultra light gear and no slider at all, just the shot, the fish are used to seeing a freefalling meal.

M

mrlindeman

Very nice sweet! I think next time they stock i will just put some bait in my hand and when the trout goes for it Il bop him on the head lol Just kidding. that would be funny though. Bare handed trout fishing lol.

troutdude

troutdude

Very nice sweet! I think next time they stock i will just put some bait in my hand and when the trout goes for it Il bop him on the head lol Just kidding. that would be funny though. Bare handed trout fishing lol.

Now THAT is FISHING! LOL

Am interested to see how well you do, with your sliding rig adaptation.

T

The Nothing

you could do the same with a bead and bobber stop

troutdude

troutdude

Yep. I've done that. You can adjust the depth from just a foot or two under water; or sit it right OFF of the bottom.

troutdude

troutdude

It's really quite easy. I've caught LOTS of trout, when others got no bites at all. And their jaws drop, when they see how far I can cast a rig like that too!

Here are some instructions, from another site:

How To Rig a Slip Bobber

However, there are two little tricks that I add to my rigs.

1. I use either a weighted pencil float (top one in following link)...or use an unweighted pencil float (the 4th one down in the pics), and then crimp on a medium sized split shot on the line. Either of these approaches, help you cast farther.

Thill Premium Balsa Floats

2. Plus, about a foot ABOVE the hook; I crimp a BB sized split shot onto the line. It's a fly fishing trick, to keep your hook from wrapping around the line while casting. Plus the added weight aids in casting distance.

And here is a decent you tube lesson, on how to rig up and use your slip bobber rig.

YouTube - Hunt'in Bob - How to set-up a slip bobber

Have fun!

TD

troutdude

troutdude

I hear ya Woz. I'm dealing w/ that now myself.

The whole time, that I have used this method I have used the Gizmo Bobber Stop and Bead set up seen here:

Rainbow Plastics Gizzmo Bobber Stop, Floats & Stops, Terminal Tackle, Fishing : Cabelas.com

While the Gizmo also reels in and onto your spool...they have always been difficult to thread onto your line (and now it's getting nearly impossible).

Thanks for posting the Smart Bobber Stop link. That looks MUCH easier, far less frustrating, and MOST importantly FASTER...so, you spend more time w/ your line in the water and increasing your catch ratio.

P.S. BUT, I would still still use a BEAD between the bobber stop (no matter what type you use) and the pencil bobber. I do the same thing, with a bead, between a slip sinker and swivel. It helps to keep the bobber and stop (or sinker and swivel) from bunching up or getting hung up on one another).

P.P.S. Here is a link for the manufacturer of Smart Bobber Stops. They are VERY reasonable priced! And they have some other interesting looking products too.

http://www.clearlyoutdoors.com/fnimall/smart_stop_bobbers.phtml

Last edited:
M

mrlindeman

That smart stop is bad a@#!! Hey troutdude that rig is a lot like a bobber rig for steelhead right? Thats awsome! I bet that would rock for pond and lake trout

Last edited:
brandon4455

brandon4455

It's really quite easy. I've caught LOTS of trout, when others got no bites at all. And their jaws drop, when they see how far I can cast a rig like that too!

Here are some instructions, from another site:

How To Rig a Slip Bobber

However, there are two little tricks that I add to my rigs.

1. I use either a weighted pencil float (top one in following link)...or use an unweighted pencil float (the 4th one down in the pics), and then crimp on a medium sized split shot on the line. Either of these approaches, help you cast farther.

Thill Premium Balsa Floats

2. Plus, about a foot ABOVE the hook; I crimp a BB sized split shot onto the line. It's a fly fishing trick, to keep your hook from wrapping around the line while casting. Plus the added weight aids in casting distance.

And here is a decent you tube lesson, on how to rig up and use your slip bobber rig.

YouTube - Hunt'in Bob - How to set-up a slip bobber

Have fun!

TD

great info jay. and i am proof of the jaw dropping from how far he can cast a bobber. it's almost like he puts a motor on his bobber LOL.

W

wozniasm

I hear ya Woz. I'm dealing w/ that now myself.

The whole time, that I have used this method I have used the Gizmo Bobber Stop and Bead set up seen here:

Rainbow Plastics Gizzmo Bobber Stop, Floats & Stops, Terminal Tackle, Fishing : Cabelas.com

While the Gizmo also reels in and onto your spool...they have always been difficult to thread onto your line (and now it's getting nearly impossible).

Thanks for posting the Smart Bobber Stop link. That looks MUCH easier, far less frustrating, and MOST importantly FASTER...so, you spend more time w/ your line in the water and increasing your catch ratio.

P.S. BUT, I would still still use a BEAD between the bobber stop (no matter what type you use) and the pencil bobber. I do the same thing, with a bead, between a slip sinker and swivel. It helps to keep the bobber and stop (or sinker and swivel) from bunching up or getting hung up on one another).

P.P.S. Here is a link for the manufacturer of Smart Bobber Stops. They are VERY reasonable priced! And they have some other interesting looking products too.

Smart Stop™ Bobber Stops Fishing Tackle | Slip Fishing Bobbers

Already ordered two of the variety packs. Hope to get them wet as soon as they arive!

Top Bottom