Addicted to lure making!

E
engineerfisherman
About a month ago I decided that when I had the time i would get serious about building my own lures. Since then I've spent countless hours doing web research on this forum, other forums, and watching countless youtube videos as well. I also bought and read most of Jed Davis' book on fishing with lures. Once I decided what i wanted I spent a lot of time comparing prices on different websites, but was uneasy about making a large order over the web so I went to Oregon Rod Reel and Tackle to talk with Mike and he set me up with everything I needed to get going. He even showed me how he makes his lures. I got my first fifteen made today. They are all #3's using brass torpedo bodies and hammered .032 brass french blades in polished brass, white silver, and black. The clevis' are brass as well. For hooks I used #2 Matzuo sickle swash hooks. The beads are acrylic, brass with gold plating, or brass with silver plating. The brass and silver beads I got at Ben Franklin craft store. I'm pretty happy with how they came out and can't wait to try them on some summer steelhead, which is what these designs are primarily targeted for. I plan on making some #4's next in similar designs. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated and if anyone has questions about/or wants to get into making lures ask away! IMG_1133.jpg

A
alm21
Those look great. I'd add some with a metallic blue body with silver blades.

E
engineerfisherman
alm21 said:
Those look great. I'd add some with a metallic blue body with silver blades.

I will have to make some in my next batch. Thanks!

R
rippin fish lips
engineerfisherman said:
I will have to make some in my next batch. Thanks!

Yup! Lost 3 summers on that color this year. And they look real good. Those hooks are nasty!

E
engineerfisherman
rippin fish lips said:
Yup! Lost 3 summers on that color this year. And they look real good. Those hooks are nasty!

I too have lost a couple summers on my blue and silver #4 blue fox with a treble hook. I have been slowly changing all my lures to use these hooks. They seem to really hook up and the two summers I've landed were on a silver spoon and a orange blue fox #4 which I had matzuo swash hooks on .

E
engineerfisherman
I also have found that I rarely get snagged with these hooks because the tip is naturally more buoyant so the hook goes along with the long end towards the bottom of the river and the tip upwards away from the bottom.

C
cowboysfan
I can't wait to see some of the fish you hook with some of those lures hanging OFF there lip.

E
engineerfisherman
cowboysfan said:
I can't wait to see some of the fish you hook with some of those lures hanging OFF there lip.

Thanks the plan is to spend all day Friday testing them out. Im hoping to have time tomorrow night to make some more and finish reading Jed Davis' book which is so full of valuable information it amazes me. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for some good fish reading.

Last edited:
N
nativefish
i had good luck on coho with a brass size 3 blade and red body size . give that a shot when they come around

Last edited:
N
nativefish
and my favorite out of the ones u got in the pic are the black body with silver blade and green body with brass blade.