Ack! -- Don't drive someone elses car unless their insurance is better than yours!

J

JeannaJigs

I've learned quite a few things since my car wreck on the 22nd of last month. Mostly I learned that I'm quite fortunate to be alive, and I attribute that to the sturdiness of the vehicle I wrecked, which, was not mine.

I also learned that in the state of Oregon, insurance follows the vehicle. So I wrecked my parents vehicle...and their insurance was responsible for picking up the tab. Yep that's right, their insurance rates just went through the roof because of an accident, that was my fault.

At the time I was told by my insurance that what their insurance didn't pick up, mine would, and I had very good personal injury coverage, so there would be no issues, and no out of pocket cost. Well my parents had very low coverage on this vehicle, with a $15,000 cap. I was lifeflighted ($17,000) and spent nearly 4 days in the hospital ($35,000) and have since had multiple followup visits to my PCP, Orthopedist, physical therapist, and massage therapist...I don't even know the cost of those services yet, as I haven't got the bills yet. I get a call today from my insurance company (Progressive) saying, that "unfortunately we cannot cover any of your medical expenses". The reason? there is a fine print exclusion. Yay. I moved back home a while back to help out while my parents were going through some tough situations, and so since I live at the same residence as them, and I had "regular access" to the vehicle that I murdered...that gets progressive off the hook to pay out a single dime. Never mind that I was only driving the vehicle that day because mine took a crap and was getting worked on, and that i didn't routinely drive that car.

I really hate insurance companies, and insurance laws in the state of Oregon, and I don't think a lot of people know about the insurance following the vehicle...or, I imagine, a lot more people would be leary about loaning out their vehicles for anything. I sure am! I'm not jumping at the oppurtunity to drive anyone elses vehicle, ever.

So now I have to fill out another thousand pages of paperwork and hope that my regular health insurance will pick up some of it, but they guaranteed will not pick up the life flight, so it's looking like that's coming out of my pocket.....So much for boat rennovations!

End rant/public service announcement.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Really hate insurance companies too!

Really hate insurance companies too!

Damn! That sucks BIG time. :rolleyes: Sorry to hear it. Maybe we can hold a "Help Jeanna with the Murdered Car Expenses" fundraiser...:think:

F

fishtales

Thank God for guardian angles! All the paper work can be draining but it might be worth it in the end.

J

JeannaJigs

Damn! That sucks BIG time. :rolleyes: Sorry to hear it. Maybe we can hold a "Help Jeanna with the Murdered Car Expenses" fundraiser...:think:

Lol, maybe! haha, i'm not sure how much is going to be out of pocket just yet, but i'm gettin' scurred...Thankfully I'll be on the water this weekend so I can temporarily forget about it :)

Thank God for guardian angles! All the paper work can be draining but it might be worth it in the end.

No doubt! I'm so incredibly lucky to have "walked" away as well off as I have, definitely, for sure had someone looking out for me that day. I'd like to start a bonfire with all the paperwork though lol.

troutdude

troutdude

My dear car murderer...at least you are not looking at "Life" or the death penalty for your crime. <just trying to lighten your load w/ a bit of humor> :lol::lol:

What a crazy mess. But, you are alive (thanks guardian angels). :) And it looks like you are well on the road to recovery. [I enjoyed meeting you last week]

I carry 100/100/100 coverage on my own car and personal injury. Plus, I have a 1,000,000 "umbrella" coverage. I drive other vehicles quite a bit. So, I wanted to leave no doubt, that my insurance is rock solid. I didn't used to have so much coverage; but I've heard far too many really bad stories like yours to not have as much as I can afford.

I agree, the laws in this state aren't good. But, the GREED of insurance companies--and little they'll pay out & how much they deny in claims--is a total rip off! And this does not apply ONLY to car insurance...but all types.

Good luck with everything. I encourage you to also fill out those papers. And I bet that you've already found a new insurance carrier!!!

J

JeannaJigs

I'm looking into a new carrier, I'm shopping around carefully. I had 100/300/100 coverage, but they won't pay a dime, so therein stems my frustration, when I pay quite a bit for that coverage, and then need it, and it's the same as if I didn't have coverage! (Except that I pay a ton each month for it!)

The paperwork will be done tonight when I get home. I'd rather fill out the paperwork than spend another second on the phone with these insurance d-bags.

troutdude

troutdude

Holy cow! Hearing that makes me want to call my agent, to make sure that I'm covered under the kind of circumstances that you're going through. Thanks for getting me to think about it!

J

JeannaJigs

Holy cow! Hearing that makes me want to call my agent, to make sure that I'm covered under the kind of circumstances that you're going through. Thanks for getting me to think about it!

Yeah I wasn't aware of this, until now. Now I'm painfully aware.

F

FishFinger

Progressive found a small loop hole and they've shoved you through it with a blunt stick?

Did you call Flo?

She seems pretty friendly.........

Last edited:
troutdude

troutdude

LOL...Flo's commercials are a hoot!

And she can't be half bad; being named for a town in Oregon afterall.

F

fishnquest

I learned something about insurance companies a long time ago. Every single one should revise all policies to simply say:
Everything is covered except whatever goes wrong.

J

JeannaJigs

Progressive found a small loop hole and they are shoving you through it with a blunt stick?

Did you call Flo?

She seems pretty friendly.........

Yup pretty much! They had a month to dig for a loophole and they found it!

Flo is on my list.

J

JeannaJigs

LOL...Flo's commercials are a hoot!

And she can't be half bad; being named for a town in Oregon afterall.

I personally, think she is the devil...butttt...I officially hate my insurance company.

C

capblack

insurance companies are a joke. if your lucky all you have to do is pay high premiums. if you actually need to use the insurance, they raise your premiums to cover everything they had to pay. its a joke really, and now we are going to be forced to purchase health insurance as well? here we go.