Access to Aaron Mercer?

K
kayakkid
Does anyone know if it is ok to accress aaron mercer? I would like to fish the lake. I know the gates may be closed I do not mind riding bicycle or just walking. But there are a a lot of No trespassing signs, I believe some rock company owns the land, does anybody know what company it is? Has anybody ever asked them for access? If anybody has any information about this lake this time of year I would really appreciate it!

I know the gates are open in Novemeber.

troutdude
troutdude
Howdy,

Mercer is owned by Dalton Rock in Dallas.

You can call them. But, I believe that they told me about a year ago...that motor vehicles of any kind are PROHIBITED. I also believe that you can walk in or ride a bicycle, but it's a windy and "washboardy". And I also think it's 6 miles to the lake! (BUT please get permission to enter the property from the Dalton's...DON'T merely take my word for it).

I'm planning to fish Rickreall Creek on the opener, on May 22nd (below and above the gate). It's open then for 2 trout per day on artificial flies/lures. And there are some NICE cutt's in there! Keep in mind, that the creek is NOT open right now. But, it looks like Mercer Res. is open year round.

According to "Fishing in Oregon" (7th ed.), it is 60 acres in size. And the book says it has native cutt's up to 12". But, I'd guess it's lightly fished and had much larger fish in it.

Good luck,

TD

K
kayakkid
Thank you very much for the response. I did fish the lake this Nov. the fishing was hit and miss. I would like to get up there and fish it when no one esle can! I will give them a call before I go. Once again thank you very much!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Hi Kayak,

You're welcome. Happy to help, and hope that I did.

BTW, I have only HEARD that it's six (6) miles into the lake, from the gate...and that the road is windy and such. Is all (or any) of that information true? I'd love to go up there with a float tube. But, it sounds too far for my tired "ol' geezer" body to walk or bike ride.

Maybe they'd allow one of those scooter's with a small motor? Know what I mean...kinda like a skateboard w/ a tall handlebar? I think their concern is that motors present a fire hazard in dry timberland.

Please let me know, if you have any tips or tricks to getting on in there. And let me know if it's not as far as I've heard.

Thanks.

P.S. Before the season opener last year...I saw some NICE cutthroat (in the 14 - 15" range right at the gate). [BUT, let's keep that our lil' secret, eh?] :whistle:

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Bass too

Bass too

btw, my book also states that "illegally introduced" bucketmouth bass can also be found in Mercer Reservoir!

S
solution7
kayakkid said:
Does anyone know if it is ok to accress aaron mercer? I would like to fish the lake. I know the gates may be closed I do not mind riding bicycle or just walking. But there are a a lot of No trespassing signs, I believe some rock company owns the land, does anybody know what company it is? Has anybody ever asked them for access? If anybody has any information about this lake this time of year I would really appreciate it!

I know the gates are open in Novemeber.

It is 6.5 miles from the gate mostly uphill.. And we caught several in November in the 17 inch range.. Native cuts that is