About the shad comming

K
kenjimua
when is the shad comming to the boniville dam? or got a web site soo i can check the shad count

B
beaverfan
You still got quite a ways to go till the Shad come in. I usually start fishing for them around Memorial Day usually.

B
BlackBass
Shad fishing is hot up at bonni in mid may through june. Great fish to catch on light tackle , take the kids to have fun. Crab bait all year long :)I make my annual trip up there mid june, we spend two days catching all the crab bait we need for the year, and have a blast doing it.

K
kenjimua
coolios! btw how do we know when the shad are coming =s...i still dont know where to go look for the fishing counting place thingy is =s

F
FishSchooler
M
mthoodrider
What do you use for shad? Is meldrum bar good for shad? I'm thinking of starting the little guy on some river fishing this year, he has pulled quite a few trouts over 20" since he was two all by himself, I just help him a little by holding the pole above the reel and he can reel in those brooters. He's four now, so I think he can handle a few shads. Appreciate any tips.

K
kenjimua
well i really dont know how to explain it really =s....shad darts? and i also herd they like flashy stuff from a person that works in this sports place =s

F
FishSchooler
They will bite anything with color, even a plain brass or nickel swivel. Just make sure it is a small hook!

D
Drew9870
I have always been told to drift fish crappie jigs in the current adding split shot until you bump bottom about 1-3 times per drift setting the hook (not too hard) on any bump, bright colors like chartreause, orange, and neon pink should work fine. But don't rely on my word, I have yet to catch a shad, but I also don't think I have gone during a good run.

M
Moe
I have never caught a shad, only gone for them once, but I saw them getting slaughtered with gold swivels with a hook attached immediatly to the swivel.

T
Troutier Bassier
Those things will bite anything....

O
OnTheFly
Troutier Bassier said:
Those things will bite anything....

Not true grasshoppah. Sometimes one must explore other options in the tackle box to get the desired results.

K
kenjimua
OnTheFly said:
Not true grasshoppah. Sometimes one must explore other options in the tackle box to get the desired results.

that is very true =s...i have to go through my tackle box or my gear just to find out what kind of bait the trouts are eating :s...this goes for shad too

T
Troutcatcher
chartreuse jigs kill them.

T
Troutier Bassier
Chartruse kills everything

M
mainman
has anyone been out for these little buggers latley down in oregon city if so how was it?