? about Terrabone

B
bigsteel
so i got lucky and will be headin over to terrabone for 3 three day next week to do some garage doors....i was wondering if anyone had some advise as a good starting point or general location to hit up..i see peter scene ogden state park and smith rock state park on google,,does anyone have knowledge about these areas....i can't wait to hit some new water........HAPPY NEW YEARS:)

F
fisherwilly
Hello, Peter Scene Ogden is a gorge and it not possible to reach the river from there. Smith Rock has the crooked river flowing around it, it looks good, but I have never fished there at the park. Also you can consider Borden Beck wildlife area which is the deschutes river here is a map.
http://www.raprd.org/maps/Borden Beck Wildlife Preserve Map.pdf

There is also good wintertime fishing at the crooked river below Bowman dam and the Deschutes around Tumalo and Bend. Good luck and Happy New Year.

B
bigsteel
thanks that is great info....i will be bank fishing and wading.....i will definitely hit that spot up....gonna try and get the work done a day early so i can have a full day on the river!!!!

R
rainbowfisherman
IU was at the crooked recently and tried some flys. No fish for me put i was only there for a little while. I fished lower river and part of it was frozen over. Type in crooked in the search forum and there is a lot of good advice. Hope this helps a little.

-Rainbowfisherman

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you are going to be in Terrebonne you should check out the Deschutes at "Lower Bridge" There is pleanty of bank access. Turn off hwy 97 on Lower Bridge Rd and head west. The road takes you right to Lower Bridge. You can park right by the bridge and walk to the river, or you can park in the parking area and work your way through the weeds to the water. It's a short drive from Terrebonnne. (prince nymph, pheasant tail nymph and small greenshoft hackel)

Next spot would be Haystack Reservior. North of Terrebonne and east of hwy 97. Fish from the fishing platform over by the intake to the lake. Not the greatest but close.

There is the Crooked River at Smith Rock State Park. A trail takes you to the river. Better yet as Rainbowfishermans said go to the Crooked river below Bowman Dam. Take hwy 26 to Prineville then south out of Prineville on Hwy 27. Don't start fishing until mile post 12. It's a bit of a drive but the view is worth it. There are a few post here on this spot with suggestions on what flies to uses.

There is Tetherow Crossing on the Deschutes. Some public access by the bridge and on the east bank. I have fished it with little luck.

For a good beer and baby back ribs check out Terrebonne Station by the rail road tracks.;)

Have a good trip!

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Fisherwilly I just clicked on the link you posted. That's the same place I recomended. (Lower Bridge) Nice little spot. I have only seen one other person fishing there when I've been up there. Have you fished down river from the bridge? I have fished by the parking area up stream, and down some from the bridge. I was wondering if you knew what it was like further down stream. Mainly how is it for wading for an old guy with bad knees.

W
wormosa
crooked river

crooked river

years ago i camped at crooked river ranch and i hiked down to the river( it is a good hike and steep on the way back up) but i recall catching fish there, i do not recall what they were, they were not trout...i would say hit that spot...and good luck bro...

B
bigsteel
thanks wormosa,,and everyone...im gonna try and put a couple full days in on the river...im gonna hit both the crooked and deschutes

W
wormosa
good luck bro, let us know how you did when it is said and done....

B
bigsteel
ill let ya all know how it goes...i can't wait

B
bigsteel
well im back from terabone,,,,i didn't manage to catch anything,,,,but i did check out borden beck wildlife preserve,,,,,man what a gorgeous place i am definitely going back there....i wish i had more time but the job thing gets in the way:(thanks for all the info guys i love it over there...