Aaron Mercer Reservoir

brandon4455

brandon4455

going outside dallas for some big cutts on november 1st is anybody else going to be there opening day? if you are pm me maybe we can meet up or if you want to go pm me for directions and what bait/lures to use

Last edited:
brandon4455

brandon4455

will do ;) it dosen't open until nov.1st though lol

O

OregonNative

Can you tell me more about Aaron Mercer Resevoir? Is it regulated as Rickreall Creek (2 8-inch trout per day on artificial lures) or regulated as a lake (5 trout perday and bait is ok). Is it primarily trout or are there warm water fish in the resevoir also. How is the access and parking?

O

OregonNative

I found somore posts and it sounds like you can only drive to it during elk season? Are non-motorized boats allowed?

T

the_intimidator03

I would believe it would be classified as a lake vs stream for the regulations unless there is anything under special regulations for it. As for fish the little ive looked at for the lake leads me to believe there are cuttthroat trout up to and or exceeding 20 inches. and largemouth bass. There is a sign for the quarry at the road i believe and it says no trespassing and includes a number. Also what ive seen is that in november the gate opens on the first for you to drive to the lake. As for non motorized boats ive read yes and also read no boats period... I believe if you get the number and call you can find out. Also if its a reservoir for the city of dallas they should have that information available as well. Dalton Rock Quarry is the name on the sign. And I believe the name of the company and number would be Dalton Rock Inc, 503 623 1111

Ok... they changed the name to dalton enterprises OregonNative i hope this can help you with some questions on the location

N

No_Bad_Skunks

Trouble with attachments

Trouble with attachments

I hit Aaron Mercer on opening weekend last year and plan to go again this year. May or may not be able to go on opening day this year as it's on a Monday Whatever, I'm definitely headed back.

First of all, they they were not allowing boats of any kind last year. ( Locked steel cable across the entrance to the boat ramp. ) The fish are primarily Coastal Cutthroat trout, all wild...running to over four pounds according to a local angler I talked to.

Myself, I didn't get anything over fifteen inches, but these Cutts were some of the hardest fighting trout I've ever caught. Looking forward to making my return to AM

Attachments

• Mercer Cutts2.jpg
    Mercer Cutts2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Aaron Mercer2.jpg
    Aaron Mercer2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
brandon4455

brandon4455

you can use bait and keep up to 5 fish a day i recomend only keeping a small amount of fish to protect native cutthroat stocks you can use a non motorized boat i'm pretty sure ive seen people use them.

T

the_intimidator03

Well I would call either the quarry or Dallas chamber of commerce and you should be able to find out a final answer on boats.. motorized or not

brandon4455

brandon4455

i did see the cable last year but they allowed my uncle to use his raft..so yeah it would be a good idea to call first.

troutdude

troutdude

Well I would call either the quarry or Dallas chamber of commerce and you should be able to find out a final answer on boats.. motorized or not

Remember, this place provides drinking water for the City of Dallas. They may NOT allow any motorized boats at all, maybe not even an electric motor. Calling the City first, would be a wise choice.

brandon4455

brandon4455

yeah man..i don't need gas in my drinking water! lol

O

OregonNative

I called the Public Works Director for the City of Dallas today. He said no motors, but canoes and rafts are Ok! :dance:

B

Bass Ackwards

Did anybody end up goin out to mercer on opening day?? Just curious how you did!

brandon4455

brandon4455

Did anybody end up goin out to mercer on opening day?? Just curious how you did!

troutdude went opening day and caught a lot of small ones. i went today with troutdude and my dad. i caught 2 bass and got some bites. i also lost a big trout the fishing is slow this year to many people too big bag limit not enough fish... you know why? because they are native fish not stocked. native fish should rarely be kept if kept at all... the cutthrat poulation is scrwed unless i convince odfw to lower the bag limit to 2 fish a day :/

B

Bass Ackwards

Thanks for the report. At least you caught something. I am strictly catch and release. Just my preference. Good luck on gettin them to lower that bag limit