A thanks to the locals!

R
redsox0407
Having moved to Oregon only two years ago this was my first attempt at attempting to catch" a little bigger fish then normal" I guess I was kind of thinking when I decided to get my steelhead/Salmon tag this year. I went up to Waterloo to fish for them for really no other reason then I had seen this spot on a previous "scouting trip" from atop the bridge. Up until now I had only fished the north. I was fishing Waterloo for an hour or so with no luck just down from the falls. I'd prefer to have been closer but there was a pretty rowdy bunch up atop the falls that between the tats and piercings was at first glance the group you steer clear of. Well some one yelled "FISH ON" and everyone reeled in there lines to let the lucky winner threw with his prize. As all this was happening one of the guys came over and was just being friendly and freely volunteering info on what everyone else was catching them on. long story short he invited me over to the bunch and got me set up with what they were using and was soon part of this group that just earlier I was looking at as a 'motley crew bunch of dudes. I usually would love to be fishing a nice part of a stream with no one in site. Well who wouldn't? Up until now I had a million hours on the streams of NM, NH, MA, and ME where a 18" trout is a trophy fish. But this was a different kind of fishing. a team work of effort to keep lines apart. I was soon part of a casting "Wave" from the most downstream guy to the guy highest up river. Over the next couple of days I fished here RELIGIOUSLY, from Wed to Sun. I saw guys who had caught a thousand over their lifetime give a hooked fish of to a buddy who had never caught one before and was told at one point " I'm trying to get you one man their just not bitein anymore". I figure I had 30 hrs of time on the river . I also had 0 fish. The first night I joined the locals I saw a nice 15lber get caught and later a 30+lber. Every night, mainly, I'd see a couple get caught by guys using the same set up as me. (corky an yarn) . I guess the run is ending and I might have missed my chance this year but thanks to the ever friendly Oregonians I now know where I need to be next year.

S
Specialed
Thats a really cool story. It's so nice to hear of fishermen working together, sharing and helping each other out...
redsox0407 said:
Having moved to Oregon only two years ago this was my first attempt at attempting to catch" a little bigger fish then normal" I guess I was kind of thinking when I decided to get my steelhead/Salmon tag this year. I went up to Waterloo to fish for them for really no other reason then I had seen this spot on a previous "scouting trip" from atop the bridge. Up until now I had only fished the north. I was fishing Waterloo for an hour or so with no luck just down from the falls. I'd prefer to have been closer but there was a pretty rowdy bunch up atop the falls that between the tats and piercings was at first glance the group you steer clear of. Well some one yelled "FISH ON" and everyone reeled in there lines to let the lucky winner threw with his prize. As all this was happening one of the guys came over and was just being friendly and freely volunteering info on what everyone else was catching them on. long story short he invited me over to the bunch and got me set up with what they were using and was soon part of this group that just earlier I was looking at as a 'motley crew bunch of dudes. I usually would love to be fishing a nice part of a stream with no one in site. Well who wouldn't? Up until now I had a million hours on the streams of NM, NH, MA, and ME where a 18" trout is a trophy fish. But this was a different kind of fishing. a team work of effort to keep lines apart. I was soon part of a casting "Wave" from the most downstream guy to the guy highest up river. Over the next couple of days I fished here RELIGIOUSLY, from Wed to Sun. I saw guys who had caught a thousand over their lifetime give a hooked fish of to a buddy who had never caught one before and was told at one point " I'm trying to get you one man their just not bitein anymore". I figure I had 30 hrs of time on the river . I also had 0 fish. The first night I joined the locals I saw a nice 15lber get caught and later a 30+lber. Every night, mainly, I'd see a couple get caught by guys using the same set up as me. (corky an yarn) . I guess the run is ending and I might have missed my chance this year but thanks to the ever friendly Oregonians I now know where I need to be next year.

M
michigan_transplant
Work your way up higher to Church camp, Wiley and Pleasent Valley. They're going to be recycling the fish til later in the summer and you'll have plenty of opportunity up there. And you'll be able to see the same type of motley crew.

troutdude
troutdude
My buddies have done EXTREMELY well at the Church Camp hole.

And kudos to those local dudes. I'm a 6th generation Oregonian, so I love to hear stories like that!

BTW, a night crawler threaded tail first up your line and above the hook--with a pink corky between the worm and hook's eye also does well. Good luck!

P.S. Welcome to Oregon and to OFF.

R
redsox0407
As I am still relativly new to OR, where is church camp hole? I'm guessing more upriver toward sweet home? and I might just try that nightcrawler tonight if I can get over there at a decent time tonight.

troutdude
troutdude
Just remember, fish bite the worm's head. So, you want it's head closest to the hook (or on it) and not the tail.

I think the Church Camp hole, is just a couple of holes below Wiley Creek. It's IN Sweet Home. You might look up and call Dan Dee Sporting Goods and ask them how to get there.

M
Mike123
Welcome to the freak show. hahaha. Where fishing is pretty good, but pretty ugly. lol

M
michigan_transplant
If you go over the Pleasent Valley Bridge from hwy 20 and take a right on North River (i think thats the name) and follow it up about 3 miles or so you'll see a place where there is a summer time church camp. This is the church camp hole. You'll see cars pulled off and parked on your right. If you hit the deadline you've gone too far. It was advertised to me as a "nicer bunch of people then Wiley and the Deadline." They haven't robbed me when I have been up there but not the kinda people I would trust either.

M
Mike123
Witnessed some tires slashed at Deadline this year. My buddy had a fillet knife pulled on him.

C
capblack
I love the north fork, i would rather drop a line in my kids swimming pool than to put up with that b@%##@t. Ill never fish the south because of that crap. I dont care how many more fish it holds, thats not my idea of fishing. Brian
Mike123 said:
Witnessed some tires slashed at Deadline this year. My buddy had a fillet knife pulled on him.

M
michigan_transplant
Was talking to a guy drifting who had a friend in from Washington. Told him he could catch fish further up from Pleasent Valley if they wanted to. They said they had floated that area and were turned off by the crowd. The guy from Wash had a classic quote he said "Going up there to catch fish is like going to a Mexican whore house, you may get what youre looking for but you don't feel too good about it"

haha

W
waco
that's kind of racist!!!!!

M
Moe
michigan_transplant said:
Was talking to a guy drifting who had a friend in from Washington. Told him he could catch fish further up from Pleasent Valley if they wanted to. They said they had floated that area and were turned off by the crowd. The guy from Wash had a classic quote he said "Going up there to catch fish is like going to a Mexican whore house, you may get what youre looking for but you don't feel too good about it"

haha

LMAO, lol,:lol::lol:

troutdude
troutdude
R
redsox0407
lol, You guys are a good laugh early in the AM. My whole point of telling this story was to convey to others that this group of rowdy guys, and a couple of gals, where at first glance a group to steer clear of turned out to be really one of the most hospitable and fun bunch I've ever seen on a river.Yea some are rough, but maybe I'm just more like them then I originally thought. This "montly crue" also has a true Hero among them. On Sat or Sun, I can't even remember which, a group of three inner tubers was heading down river and apparently didn't know about the falls. The two guys made it to shore in time but the girl hit the left side of the falls and well.. spun 3 times like a pinwheel… actually stood up just after the falls but the current immediately swept her down and off. She was screaming " HELP ME…..PLEASE HELP ME". I'll be the first to admit I didn't rush to jump in and watched to see what others might due. As I looked around I saw "one of those locals" pulling of his shoes and diving in (freezing cold water by the way) to intercept the panicking girl. Went last night and hooked a big one, the drag was almost completely on he was pulling…WeeeeEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ. He jumped out of the water and my jaw dropped .. and then the hook came out.. yadiayadiayadddaa .

troutdude
troutdude
redsox0407 said:
lol, You guys are a good laugh early in the AM. My whole point of telling this story was to convey to others that this group of rowdy guys, and a couple of gals, where at first glance a group to steer clear of turned out to be really one of the most hospitable and fun bunch I've ever seen on a river.Yea some are rough, but maybe I'm just more like them then I originally thought. This "montly crue" also has a true Hero among them. On Sat or Sun, I can't even remember which, a group of three inner tubers was heading down river and apparently didn't know about the falls. The two guys made it to shore in time but the girl hit the left side of the falls and well.. spun 3 times like a pinwheel… actually stood up just after the falls but the current immediately swept her down and off. She was screaming " HELP ME…..PLEASE HELP ME". I'll be the first to admit I didn't rush to jump in and watched to see what others might due. As I looked around I saw "one of those locals" pulling of his shoes and diving in (freezing cold water by the way) to intercept the panicking girl. Went last night and hooked a big one, the drag was almost completely on he was pulling…WeeeeEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ. He jumped out of the water and my jaw dropped .. and then the hook came out.. yadiayadiayadddaa .

WOW. I gotta tip my hat, to the fellow who saved that girl from the river!!!

Both my mom and I almost drowned, when we were both kids. We were both saved by an unsung hero. God bless them all!!!

M
michigan_transplant
Yeah those Motley Crew have always been nice to me. I've fished the deadline, Waterloo, and Church camp without any bad run ins, but i keep hearing stories from people ie getting their tires slashed and knives being pulled.

great story about the guy jumping into save the girl.