A springer sacrifice in memorium of Andy's net

J
JeannaJigs
FINALLY hit up the SS yesterday. Water level sure came down! Did the long float, alllll day. Been having terrible luck, lost every springer I've hooked...was about to say forget it and retire, but really I'm a filthy addict and can't kick this salmon habit. Launched at zero dark thirty, we had some bumps but nothing stuck, untily friend hooked one only to have his line sheared off, something very sharp down there, probably metal something or another. Later on another salmon and a steelhead lost. Get down to a sweet looking shelf that drops into a nice boily hole, cast out, my float goes down, figuring it's snagged because I'm good at overestimating depth, I lift my rod to get it moving again and I feel a slight tug. I feel my line wiggling, yes, I said wiggling, and think it's a trout, there's not a lot of resistance. Then i feel a good tug and some headshakes and think steelhead! It's still not feeling like a large fish. This is because it kept coming towards me...it suddenly decides it doesn't want to play and takes off like a freight train. SALMON! friend goes to grab the net, and we realize, EXCELLENT, WE LEFT THE FREAKING NET ON THE BANK! In a place I can't get to shore and drag it onto the bank. It doesn't want to come in, took a while to wear her out, she spanked my 10-20 rod, I need to get a heavier rod for salmon. She finally started to tire out after a while and my friend tailed her and she was in the boat. Nice fat hatchery hen. BRIGHT for an upriver fish this time of year. The lighting in the picture makes her look bronze, this fish wasn't bronze, shiny chrome. Stupid cell phone.

Oh and if anyone came down after we did and picked up a net off the north bank a ways down from pleasant valley...let me know. I borrowed andy's net (thuggin4life) and owe him a net now cause I suck at life.

Also, I hate the sun and wish it would die.

That is all.
c218563c.jpg

c515109e.jpg

M
Mad dog
Determination....Nice fish!!! :clap:

O
OnTheFly
Suh weet! Nice one Jeanna.

S
Santiam338
More net problems???LOL

Great job,nice fish...

J
JeannaJigs

I'm trying to concince myself that the hellacious sunburn and lack of sleep is worth it. Time will tell by the end of my shift. Which is only three more hours.

J
JeannaJigs
Santiam338 said:
More net problems???LOL

Great job,nice fish...

O m g. I borrowed the net and was like yesss, we have a net. Awesome. Used it on the bank and freakin left it. I thought my friend had it, he thought I had it. I was searching for it behind my seat when he hooked a steelhead but it came off and so I didn't think about it. It was an "oh shirt" moment when we both said where's the damn net?! My boat isn't big enough to lose a net lol. Originally we were gonna scoop it with a life vest lol, that wasn't gonna work lol. It was an interesting time to say the least. Very rewarding.

Now I gotta buy two nets, to replace mine that was jacked, and andy's, that I abandoned lol.

M
mlw
I'd trade someone else's net for that fish any day :) Very nice fish.

Not much choice on drifts on the s. santiam is there? Interested in trying it, as it's closer to me than the Mckenzie. (drifted Deerhorn to Hendricks a couple days ago and the salmon were rolling, but not interested in what I had). Don't forget the sunblock! - I'd be the color of a tomato without it.
Michael

A
Airs98
Love the pics and the story behind it! Nicely done!!!

J
JeannaJigs
Nope not much choice, there's two floats. Wiley creek to pleasant valley and pleasant valley to Waterloo. They need to put a ramp at bates bridge to break up the lower float because it is super long and there's too many holes, too much water, not enough daylight. From bates down, nothing but drunken locals floating in whatever flotation device they could find. I love the mckenzie, but screw the bumper boats. Good lord, probably 35 boats between leaburg and greenwood two weeks ago. You can't fish anywhere because there's already someone anchored up in every single hole. Guys spend the night in their boats up there. It's ridiculous. I much, much prefer the santiams, both of them.
mlw said:
I'd trade someone else's net for that fish any day :) Very nice fish.

Not much choice on drifts on the s. santiam is there? Interested in trying it, as it's closer to me than the Mckenzie. (drifted Deerhorn to Hendricks a couple days ago and the salmon were rolling, but not interested in what I had). Don't forget the sunblock! - I'd be the color of a tomato without it.
Michael

R
RunWithSasquatch
Awesome fish, congrats!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice springer Jeanna!

I need to catch a salmon/steelhead on a bobber. Sounds fun!

T
TTFishon
I sent you a message on FB but I'll let ya know here too. I have an old net that I don't use that you can have. It's missing part of the handle but a broom stick or dowel would work just fine. It also has a couple of holes but you can tie em up easy and it's big enough for salmon/steelhead. Let me know if you want it and I'll drop it off at Andy's.

troutdude
troutdude
Equation of the day:

Persistence + Jeanna (and pup) = CHROME!

NOYCE!!!

S
Slick
Two thumbs up Jeanna.:clap:

F
Finneus Polebender
Way nice salmon good lookin dog too!

J
JeannaJigs
Throbbit _Shane said:
Nice springer Jeanna!

I need to catch a salmon/steelhead on a bobber. Sounds fun!

It's a blast, and is pretty effective in the right water.00 It's awkard lobbing a big ol' 4 oz chunk of lead with a ginormous float, I have a sore thumb from braking the spool with my thumb...but now if I go back to my 1/8th float and jig set up for steelhead, it's going to feel so foreign. It's the best way IMO to fish those deep boily holes. The fish tend to be suspended in the morning until the sun comes up and aren't at the bottom. That's what I've noticed anyways with springers...

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
I sent you a message on FB but I'll let ya know here too. I have an old net that I don't use that you can have. It's missing part of the handle but a broom stick or dowel would work just fine. It also has a couple of holes but you can tie em up easy and it's big enough for salmon/steelhead. Let me know if you want it and I'll drop it off at Andy's.

Got a new net today as an early born day present :) so just gotta buy Andy his replacement lol. Hold onto it though, in case I have another net disaster lol

J
JeannaJigs
Finneus Polebender said:
Way nice salmon good lookin dog too!

Thanks! The fish outweighed my dog lol. She has some good lookin parents that are good dogs. She takes after her mom I think :) thanks again for the best fishing dog, ever.

C_Run
C_Run
Beautiful fish. Was that with bait or jig under the float? Sorry about the net. I'm hoping to go up that way a time or two yet this summer.

J
JeannaJigs
Bait. I have salmon jigs but with so many bumps on bait I couldn't convince myself to change it out for a jig. I like the first bite quad. A lot. It's the size of a baseball when it flares out in the water.