A reminder to be careful out there

A
autofisher
Went out on the Santiam yesterday with a buddy to do a little fishing and relaxing. Everything was going great until we were just above the confluence. I had my buddy stay wide right, and as I was telling him where to row I got snagged up. Before I could snap the line, the current had pulled me where I did not want to go. I was fine through the shoot, but as I hit the bottom of it I saw a couple of logs jutting out into the current. I tried to row wide around them but the fast water caught my pontoon and s*@t whipped me right into the logs. I was stuck between the two and the current was pushing me further into them when the back deck of the toon started getting swamped. As I scrambled to get loose, my right ankle got pinned under one log with the foot rest of the pontoon. The force of the water started to flip the pontoon and that's when I knew there was no dry way to get out of the situation. I pushed as hard as I could on the foot rest with my foot and bailed out over the top of the log. Somehow, I got on the other side and flipped the pontoon over the log. In doing so, I lost an oar, my hat, my sunglasses and most everything else that wasn't strapped down. Even snapped the reel right off my pole! Glad that's all I lost. Made it to shore just before the confluences (whew!) and took inventory. Phone and wallet were dry and safe as they were in water tight boxes and zipped in the pouches.
Aside from the missing items, a swollen knee, bruises and a deflated ego I'm fine.
Just be careful out there everyone. I've had plenty of experience on the river and always carry a life jacket, but you never know when stuff is going to go haywire.

Last edited:
Reactions: igquick
C
ColoradoTroutMan
Glad you got out of there ok.

M
Modest_Man
What were you floating in?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Yikes!!! Glad you're OK! That's scary stuff! Logs are bad BAD!

Chromatose
Chromatose
One Millisecond and your scratching your head asking what the HE**!! I am glad it all worked out in the end.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
His call scared the bejeebers out of me! It was even worse when he finally told me about his foot getting stuck, all I will say is I did the whole "Momma" thing when I was alone. :sad: PFD's don't help if you don't wear them. :hi:

troutdude
troutdude
Glad to hear that, we didn't have to read your obit in the paper. Good thing your guardian angel, was on the job and alert! Also happy that your momma, still has you intact. Whew!

B
Big3d
While it's already been said, Glad you are ok and no serious injuries occured. Keep safe and dry.

I
igquick
Glad your alright! The norm of people always think fishing is a lazy sport, but it can turn into something more crazy and extreme than being hit by a 300 lb lineman. Glad you made it out

A
autofisher
Yeah, I'm fine. Lucky and very thankful. So.... anyone know of any good deals on oars, sunglasses, reels, or hats? :)

M
mikeee2362
That was your "cheap" lesson....glad you're OK!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
mikeee2362 said:
That was your "cheap" lesson....glad you're OK!

That's a great way of putting it. I like that!