A place to shoot

S
Smoked Ribs
I am looking for a decent place to sight in the new rifles my brother and I have purchased. We have been out to a popular place on BLM land in Molalla but it is too popular and I have a hard time trusting the other hooligans who are having way too much fun shooting into nothing but a gravel mound 50 yards away. I am definitely willing to go for a drive if it's a decent spot. We're looking for at least 100-200 yards or more. Any suggestions would be most appreciated...

Owen

K
kornphlake
Just about anywhere on public land within a reasonable distance from the portland metro area will be just as infested with hooligans shooting into a gravel mound. If you can get out mid week you might have a better experience.

Try the pit up memaloose road, about a mile past the marina at north fork reservoir cross the green bridge onto memaloose rd. and wind your way up the hill. It's illegal to shoot until you get to the gravel pit, it's about 6 miles from the highway on the east side of the road. The place fills up fast and is crowded with hooligans so go when the weather is bad or mid week for best results.

Wherever you go be sure to pick up your trash along with as much of other people's trash as you can carry.

S
Swamp Puppy
smoked - it's a haul from ya, but Rainier has a decent little range that won't cost ya an arm and a leg to shoot at. membership is done on an annual basis, but the cost is really minimal and you usually have the place to yourself. if you don't mind the drive, let me know and i'll get you some more info.

M
mudslinging79
ive been out to the gravel pit outside estacada, they are usually a good group of guys there, big on safety, even dealers show up with cool and exotic toys sometimes

M
Mattdm22
It's pretty far from you but I usually head to Agency Rd. in Grande Ronde. There is a nice gravel pit out there and it doesn't get crowded at all. My stepdad, brother and I take up a bunch of guns and just have a BLAST. :lol:

S
Smoked Ribs
Excellent, thank for the info. everyone...

D
dangerranger
Theres a really nice rock quarry up off of fish cr rd outside estacada... its a drive about 45 min from the highway but you can get out to probably 200 yrds safely and I have never seen anyone else up there when Ive been there. Just follow the highway out of estacada about 15 miles, take a right and head up fish cr rd... the road forks.. first two forks stay to the left... second two forks stay to the right then youll get to a big intersecton a road to the right... strait... and one to the left... go to the left and up a pretty steep hill and youll drive right into it... its at about 4000ft so too early or late in the year and youll hit snow... great place to shoot though

K
kornphlake
The area on fish creek rd is closed until further notice due to some timber removal in the area. See the link below from the mount hood forest home page for more information.
20080201.shtml

M
mudslinging79
i think danger was talking bout another place off of fish creek, cause to get to the strip you hang a right onto fish creek, then keep bearing left at all the forks. left at the first one, left at the secont one, then its the first left.

M
mudslinging79
memaloose pit is still open though, frew miles closer than fish creek to boot