A place to buy crawfish traps in or near PDX

B
b70turner
Does anyone know of a local store that carries crawfish traps in PDX? I'm hoping to get one before the weekend to give it a try on one of those hot, sunny days in shallow water.

M
Modest_Man
Pretty sure I've seen them for sale in Fisherman's Marine. Not 100% though.

H
Hendo30
I have seen them at Bi-Mart in Aloha, Hillsboro, Forest Grove....also at Fisherman's Marine in Tigard as Modest_Man stated. They are hit or miss and Dicks Sporting goods in Hillsboro.

B
b70turner
Thanks to both of you. As luck would have it, my fiancee's new office is down the street from a rod shop called Ollie Damon's. She found them there for me and said she got a good deal on them. It's on Grand St. in PDX, in case anyone else is interested. Now I just hope we can both round up a bunch this weekend!

Thanks again for the tips.

C
coyo7e
I was going to make myself a trap but I realized that they're like 10 bucks at most sporting goods stores. Headed out to Yachats this weekend, I've caught a few bucket loads up the river there before. :)

O
orkfest
Make your own!!! Use 1/2" square chickenwire. 1)make a tube about 8-10" in dia. by 2-3 foot long. 2)cut a 3" X 3" door mid tube and wire on a 4 X 4" door to it. 3) make a pair of wire cones with a 3" end hole for the bugs to enter and to fit the tube. 4) wire the cones in. You will have bloody fingers when done, but using the carcases of fish you will do no wrong with these. The Spokane River is the best I have ever done on bugs (40 quarts/night) and there I had to enlarge the entry cone to 4" as some of them bugs were huge!....Bon Appite!

B
BJConner
They are easy to make but I like the way the store bought ones nest. If you bait them with bread crumbs in cheese cloth you can catch minnows. I don.t think you can use minnows anywhere in Oregon.
We use to use crawdad tails fishing off the rocks. Rubberlips and other perch liked them jusst fine.

S
Stradic2000
Bi-Mart, Fisherman's Marine Supply, Sportsman's Warehouse, maybe Dick's?

F
FishOn420
I have been wanting to get a trap as well to use for live bait. I have never tried using live crawdads for bait before but I have heard they work amazing.

D
DrTheopolis
FishOn420 said:
I have been wanting to get a trap as well to use for live bait. I have never tried using live crawdads for bait before but I have heard they work amazing.

Not legal.

B
bagold53
DrTheopolis said:
Not legal.

5. Live crayfish may not be used as bait and live crayfish taken for bait may not be released into Oregon waters except in the waterbody in which they were taken

It doesn't look to be legal to use live crayfish as bait but can you use crawfish tails, I start getting nervious when I see lines like this in the reg book. They way I read this is that you can take live craw for bait but have to kill them before had. Please let me know if I am miss reading this line.
And dont mean to hijack if I am.

thanks, Ben