A little help

brandon4455
brandon4455
hopefully this year i will visit the metolius, but i want to be prepared. a few questions, should i be focusing on certain bugs or do attractors work? should i use my regular 5x tippet or size it down or up?? altough there is a probability of being skunked its just nice to hit a new river (hopefully) wading into the cool,fast flowing river is enough for me..but a few redbands would be nice. thanks in advance for any advice. it is very much appriciated

Brandon

F
FlyBum
Well, hey there! The Met can be quite difficult to figure out. It is a real match the hatch type of river, although there are some days where the fish get stupid. But, for the most part they at least have there Masters and are working on there Ph.D.s They're some hatchs you can almost set your watch by. 5x or 6x floro is a must for me on this river, for trout, bulls are a different story. For the most up2date check with the Fly Fishers Place in Sisters or the Camp Sherman Store to see what is going on at the time.

Bull Trout are a bit of a different story. The Kokanee will be moving up from the lake soon if they haven't already and the big laker bulls will be following. This is really fun to swing some big patterns or try to bump them on the lips with a nymph or an egg pattern. They are not as leader shy as the trout but still none the less picky. So bring your 4wt. and your 7wt. and have a good hike. Because, that's one thing I can count on out there is at least I'll have a nice hike on a beautiful river! :)

But here's some from last winter:

12711285.jpg12791284.jpg13021310.jpg13011311.jpg13041309.jpg

Reactions: halibuthitman and n8r1
brandon4455
brandon4455
hey man good to hear from you again..really appriciate the help, and ill be sure to ick some 6xup as im stocked on 5 :lol: green drakes, i have searched up are good for that river, already have BWO's have a lot to stock up on for this river.. gunna eb my bigegst challenge yet. nice fish by the way. love the picture of the rod bending. and unfortunately i only have an 8wt so it will have to do.

F
FlyBum
Well, what time of year are you thinking about fishing?? The Drakes will be coming soon, right now the Octos and other caddis should be pretty good if they are keying in on them, it all is just so temperamental. On one day off the next, trust me I've seen it happen! :( Oh, by the way, that was my 8wt. bent in half, would have liked to land that one if I remember that fish was well over 30 and over 10lbs. Two years ago my buddy landed one that went just over 14lbs. NUTZ! :) The bows are scrappy as hell though and will surely tear you a new one!

Best of luck, maybe you let me know when you'll be over and if my buddies and I aren't out chasing chrome or the big bullies are in full swing we could meet up and show you a few spots. But almost all the water there looks just so nice!

brandon4455
brandon4455
hoping to fish it by december. might do it in the snow. depends on when the car gets fixed or if i go with friends. it would be cool to meet you out there.will have to let you know when we go. im sure those bows will tear my a new one. especially since im using an 8'6' 4wt :lol: thanks for the help.

brandon

S
skunk
Then in Dec. for me I know I would take a lot of BWO patterns. Especially some low riding emerger patterns. They can be picky on the BW's so bring a bunch of styles.