A lesson learned from home owner's insurance

T

TTFishon

Apparently when your neighbor's tree falls into your yard and crushes a couple of patio chairs, dents the metal garage roofing, and knocks off a gutter they don't have to pay a cent unless I can prove that they were aware that their tree was rotten! My insurance said it was an act of God. What a cop out. What does God have to do with it? It's a bunch of BS!. I guess this will be a test to see how honest my neighbor is.
1285209162.jpg

J

JeannaJigs

Damn that sucks. I've learned that there is no such thing as straight forward insurance on anything after my wreck, dealing with auto insurance and health insurance, it's been a nightmare. No one wants to pay for anything once they have your money. It's BS.

M

mlw

yep, insurance in this country is nothing but legalized extortion. On the other hand, it doesn't sound like a lot of damage - think of the folks who got hit by Katrina, etc.
Michael

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
State Farm was great when the plumbing sprung a leak in the middle of the night and flooded 75% of the house. They even paid to keep the Border Collie in a doggy daycare for three months. But when the loony neighbor behind us lost a huge branch off a 75' tree right onto our fence,we got the same story. I think all insurance companies require "An Act of GOD" tattooed on all employees where they can see it at all times....

F

fishtales

Not really going with the flow of the thread but though i could add some input.

Good luck man I hope it goes well.

One thing to keep in mind is if the neighbor trimmed or cut branches (before the tree fell) in a way that made the tree unnaturally off balance causing the tree to fall your way then it is their fault.

Hopefully you guys can figure this out with out pointing fingers or going through the he said she said drama.

H

Hawk

Apparently when your neighbor's tree falls into your yard and crushes a couple of patio chairs, dents the metal garage roofing, and knocks off a gutter they don't have to pay a cent unless I can prove that they were aware that their tree was rotten! My insurance said it was an act of God. What a cop out. What does God have to do with it? It's a bunch of BS!. I guess this will be a test to see how honest my neighbor is.
1285209162.jpg

Sorry to hear this BRO :mad:

Only positive i see is you have some firewood.

troutdude

troutdude

Gotta love insurance companies. The 4th largest gang of theives in the land (next to the government, mafia, and the Columbian/Mexican drug cartels). What a lovely group to be associated with...NOT!

P.S. Now TT...please put your Stihl back in it's case. It'll do you no good to drop that other tree in your neighbor's yard. :shock::naughty:

Last edited:
C

capblack

getting money from insurance companies is a waste of time. its like pulling teeth, and if you do get money from them, they raise your premiums and get it back anyway. a real joke, should be a crime. Brian

K

kaimuki49

uhmmm your homeowner's insurance DOES indeed cover the incident you describe. This gets tricky, but the short of it is this - your insurance covers ACTS OF GOD. That's why damage by hurricane, lightning, etc IS covered. The insurance company seems to be doing what some often do - and this is not a legal expression - jerking you around. Secondly, it would be an incredibly simple task to prove that your neighbor knew the tree was rotten. I should point out, however, that the legal test is not whether they knew or not, but the legal test is whether they knew OR SHOULD HAVE known.

Dont give up yet. Best of luck and hanapa'a, tm

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
uhmmm your homeowner's insurance DOES indeed cover the incident you describe. This gets tricky, but the short of it is this - your insurance covers ACTS OF GOD. That's why damage by hurricane, lightning, etc IS covered. The insurance company seems to be doing what some often do - and this is not a legal expression - jerking you around. Secondly, it would be an incredibly simple task to prove that your neighbor knew the tree was rotten. I should point out, however, that the legal test is not whether they knew or not, but the legal test is whether they knew OR SHOULD HAVE known.

Dont give up yet. Best of luck and hanapa'a, tm

Sounds like good advice from a very informed source. I would definitely pin down the insurance company. We didn't do it because the damage was less than our deductible. Think of it this way,insurance companies take your money and put it in a "savings" account for you and hold it until such time that you need it to pay for an accident,no matter who's "act" it is. If the bank refused to give you the money you've been saving,would you just shrug your shoulders and walk away? Too many insurance companies make millions in interest and investments from the money we entrust them with and refuse to return any of it in the spirit in which the industry was founded. Until,that is,we,the customers who keep paying their huge bonu$e$ each year,grab them by the scrotum and refuse to stop squeezing until they beg us to let them give us some our own money.
Just sayin'...;)

H

halibuthitman

Its common practice to deny every claim the first time it is summited , lawyers are a common cure and solution to so called acts of GOD..

T

TTFishon

Thanks for the advise. Since the damage was so little we're not going to claim it. I think our deductible is more than what the damage cost anyway. It would be a different story if the tree would have crushed my garage though.

O

OnTheFly

We need an insurance company run by Atheists.
Hilarious!

Sounds like good advice from a very informed source. I would definitely pin down the insurance company. We didn't do it because the damage was less than our deductible. Think of it this way,insurance companies take your money and put it in a "savings" account for you and hold it until such time that you need it to pay for an accident,no matter who's "act" it is. If the bank refused to give you the money you've been saving,would you just shrug your shoulders and walk away? Too many insurance companies make millions in interest and investments from the money we entrust them with and refuse to return any of it in the spirit in which the industry was founded. Until,that is,we,the customers who keep paying their huge bonu$e$ each year,grab them by the scrotum and refuse to stop squeezing until they beg us to let them give us some our own money.
Just sayin'...;)
Very true and the 'Bank' analogy was a good point. You really need to question insurance companies if there is a problem with them paying a claim. It's as though they deliberately try not to pay you. My wife and I have gone through it more than once.

Hey Barb, The last sentence in your post reminded me to never get you upset at me.:shock::lol:

L

lilsalmon

Just sayin'...;)

Hey...not to hijack here but how come you get to say scrotum and I have to say shipoopy....just kiddin with ya Barb :D

Top Bottom