A fallen comrad

Q
Quillspirit
I don't know if "TJ" was a member of OFF or not, but I guess if you gotta go down, might as well go down fishing... RIP TJ.

GATES, Ore. -- A 46-year-old fisherman who slipped and fell into the Santiam River is presumed drowned.
Marion County sheriff’s deputies say Troy J. "TJ" Topper, of Salem, was fishing with a friend from the bank of the river in Gates when he went to rinse his hands and lost his footing. He was not wearing a life preserver.
The friend reached his fishing pole out to the victim, deputies say, but wasn’t able to pull him in.
Linn and Marion county deputies were called at about noon and began searching. Poor water clarity and fast current hampered the effort.
During the search, a Linn County boat capsized and three people were tossed into the 38-degree water.
They were all rescued by a nearby safety boat, but the Linn County boat continued downstream and hasn’t been recovered.
A rescue swimmer was treated for exposure.
The search was called off at 3:30 p.m

:( Be safe out there guys

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Damn man... Washing his hands. That is ****ed.

M
mrlindeman
Not fair :(

B
bigsteel
this is a sad story i just finished reading it in the paper,my prayeres go out to his family.............PLEASE EVERYONE BE SAFE ON THE RIVERS WITH THESE WATER LEVELS

M
markasd
My thoughts go out to his family and friends...

Be careful folks.

G
GottaLoveFishing
Very sad to hear that. My thoughts go out to his family.

brandon4455
brandon4455
very sad to see another life taken from the rivers. my thoughts and prayers out to his family and friends

troutdude
troutdude
That is an absolute bummer! Rest in Peace TJ.

Knee mail going up, for the Topper family.

Q
Quillspirit
Marion County Deputies Find Fisherman's Body
POSTED: 8:56 am PST February 14, 2011
UPDATED: 9:55 am PST February 14, 2011

GATES, Ore. -- The body of a fisherman who was missing for more than two weeks has been recovered from the Santiam River near Gates, Marion County deputies said.
Authorities found the body of Troy "TJ" Topper, 46, on Saturday night on a rock island about 15 miles downstream from where he fell into the water, deputies said.
Investigators said Topper was fishing with a friend along the bank of the river on Jan. 27 when he lost his footing and fell into the water. He was not wearing a life preserver and is presumed to have drowned, according to detectives.
A friend who was fishing with Topper at the time tried to pull him from the water with his fishing pole, but was unsuccessful, deputies said.
During the initial search effort, a Linn County boat capsized and three people were tossed into the 38-degree water, deputies said. According to deputies, one of the rescue swimmers was treated for hypothermia.

troutdude
troutdude
Hopefully this will give his family some closure.

A
Anyfishisfine
I had my first good scare this weekend. I took a guy on his first (steelhead) fishing trip, and thought I'd take him to a spot that involves a good amount of rock climbing and wading.

About 1/2 way there I heard a big splash behind me and he is clinging onto a branch, waders full in the current. He was able to regain his footing (and saved my pole he was holding), but it makes you remember that all it takes is not verifying your footing before each step to end your life out there.

Also, as far as this guy who drowned. They keep bringing up the fact he wasn't wearing a PDF. He was bank fishing. Nobody I've seen has one bank fishing. They seem to be beating a dead horse with that one.

S
SantiamDrifter
I've had friends fishing the north the last couple weeks. When they say 15 miles below gates on a island. Im pretty sure they've floated by the one they found him on. There are a lot in that strecth tho, but I wouldnt have wanted to been the one to find him.

D
Dbaum
This is a very sad story. my thoughts and prayers to his family. Stay safe out there guys and gals. DB.