A day on the Willamette. Monster squaw and a suprise!!!

M

mrlindeman

Drew and I decided to go to the willy and see if there were any Sturgeon around. They have been caught at the dock before.

B

beaverfan

Ya you want to catch some of them Sturgeon cut one of those pikeminnows into strips I mean BIG strips and use some magic thread and tie it to a 4/0 or 5/0 hook. (just make sure it's barbless!)

A

Armando Garcia

What kind of bait were you guys using? I have always wondered what you might catch from the dock there, any luck from the Wallace side?

D

Drew9870

Banned User
The bait was leftover fillets, and I have always had better luck using anything BUT Squaw, maybe us humans aren't the only ones who look down upon Squawfish, lol.

Come fish it with us sometime, Wallace is too shallow, and better if you were wanting to target Salmon or Steelhead.

A

Armando Garcia

Ya that sounds good, P.m. me next time and I'll see if can make it. I have been spending all spear time hunting steelhead with no luck, hit the Alsea today and every one every spot skunked, turned in to a family beach trip.

B

beaverfan

The bait was leftover fillets, and I have always had better luck using anything BUT Squaw, maybe us humans aren't the only ones who look down upon Squawfish, lol.

Well about 15-20 miles upstream from there, near St. Paul you can't keep em off the pikeminnow. Especially if you soak em in pickle juice!

If your catching pikeminnow when fishing for Sturgeon you need a bigger bait. I've gone out at least 30 times on the Willamette above the falls targeting Sturgeon and have never caught anything but Sturgeon. Sure you'll occasionally get one on small baits but the smaller quicker fish will usually get there first.

Last edited:
M

mrlindeman

I think the monster Pike Minnow is fun to catch when nothing else is biting. Next time we are going to use sand shrimp.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
It is only about 20ft where we fish, so regardless of what we use, we will still have exactly the same luck.

I spend more time at Riverfront than anywhere else, have been since '08, I have tried many, many different baits, and the only proven thing to work up here is a half of a nightcrawler believe it or not by the people who just like to cast a worm and read a book, I have tried Liver, Worms, Shrimp, Tuna, Trout Fillets (Pellet head), Squaw Fillets, Perch Fillets, Peamouth Fillet, and Squaw Fillet soaked in high quality fishmeal and 'Pickled Sturgeon Candy' juice. They are few and far between, so I guess you just gotta hit one on the head to catch it.

Last edited:
M

Moe

lol i was just watching random youtube videos this morning and saw that before you shared a link on OFF. What you might try is only using the gills from the pikeminnow . make sure to tie it on there real good. Not a good bait for shakers or small legals, cuz my friends that use it say they catch a ton of oversize fish with it. A friend actually caught a nine footer with that.

M

mrlindeman

lol i was just watching random youtube videos this morning and saw that before you shared a link on OFF. What you might try is only using the gills from the pikeminnow . make sure to tie it on there real good. Not a good bait for shakers or small legals, cuz my friends that use it say they catch a ton of oversize fish with it. A friend actually caught a nine footer with that.

Now that sounds like a good idea!!!! Drew hop in here, whatya think of Moes' Idea? I think it rocks!!!

M

Moe

"I've caught sturgeon in the Willamette that were stuffed with eel,... however, I think this is pretty early for a sturgeon to have eel in it in Jan. We did however catch a 50" today we thought was so fat we thought it was full of caviar, but it turned out to be fat from having a 2.5 lb squaw fish in it's gizzard! "
OFF another forum. should answer your ? right there.

O

Outdoor_Myers

Hey drew is that the place right there across from the city center and penney's parking lot? I been wanting to fish that area for some time now and the wallace place. Any suggestions on gear rod size weight size and what not?

D

Drew9870

Banned User
It is Riverfront Park, across from wallace, it is the dock with the Sternwheeler (Willamette Queen) in downtown Salem.

You can catch a variety of fish if you just plunk worms or corn on a Trout rod with 6lb, Smallmouth are rarely caught off the dock since it is just a mud bottom, but I have seen a few pulled out, the best spot is by the big globe (acid ball) for smallies.

Come hit it up with us sometime.