A bitter-sweet day on the Siletz

S
steelhead1
Perfect water conditions and an overcast sky,Thats all it took and I am off to the Siletz for some winter steel (not to mention being cooped up with FIVE fifteen year old girls and my wife for three days, at a beach house in Newport). The holes were crowded after arriving an hour late, looks like I will be hiking to find some solitude,but thats ok,I have all day to kill.Started off kinda slow,a few missed fish and some pesky trout,but I am fishin a hole without another fisherman in sight,wait, here comes someone and he wants the run I am standing in.Oy. He ends up being a good guy,polite and courteous,with some welcome advice on some new fly fishing techniques.We hung out for most of the morning and I agreed to show him a few of my favorite holes.I hooked and landed my finest fish so far this year on the first casy. About fifteen pounds of bright native,and pissed off, buck.My new bud tried to take a pic, but accidentally took some low quality video instead. Oh well, I know it was a nice one! I took a break to watch his casting and let him have a shot.He hung up and lost his fly, so I stepped in and hooked another on the first cast, this time a four pound wild hen!We parted ways and I hiked a little further up.Got a nice bright eight or so,clipped and full of roe,a keeper!I am feeling good and hikin out,whats that?A nice Gerber multi tool lying in the sand! Score!Crossing the river, something else catches my eye, thats a rod! A Lami with a abu reel!Must be my lucky day! I am almost back to the rig when my luck runs out.I step on my rod jumpin a log,snap,that one is done.Go back to the beach house and pick up the girls,and on the way home I discover that someone opened the gate on my Jeep, and didn't close it,yep,my wading boots and rainjacket are missing,gone to live somewhere on highway 20. Anyway,If you are missing a rod,or a Gerber, lemme know.:D

• DSC01513(1).jpg
  • DSC01512(1).jpg
R
RunWithSasquatch
haha what a rollercoaster im not sure if to tell you congrats. The fishing aspect was topnotch! Thats whats nice about the gorge, when you want to get away from the crouds, you can. Nice work! Sorry about your gear.

C
Chedster
Looked like a great day for you! Nice fish. Do the hatchery fish make it past moonshine into the gorge?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yes, many miles, I can't remember the exact river mile. They have a trap, and the deadline is posted, its in the middle of a clearcut, I'd say atleast 10 miles up.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm sorry man but that gets the big LOL from me haha...

B
Bucknasty
Great report, Nice fish!! Bummer about your rod! Cheers, Bob

troutdude
troutdude
Wow, now THAT is quite an adventure...being cooped up like that with all of those girls...ZOIKES!!! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Glad to see that you met up, with another fellow so share part of the fishing adventure with. And you inked some steel. Lost some stuff, but found some stuff.

Overall a good day I'd say (minus busting your rod of course...sorry about that).

F
fishingfreak
Nice Chromers! Sorry about the rod! Sounds like an interesting day!

J
Johnny Southpaw
love the pic with the dog-awesome! curious if you worry about salmon poisoning or has your dog already been exposed and developed immunity?

S
steelhead1
Thanks for the replies!Yes,snappin my rod was a total bummer.Seems like I have to buy a new one every year:confused:. I love to take my doggy fishin,and he is as dedicated to it as I am. He always knows the instant me or my buddy hooks one,I think he picks up on the body language or something.He has never got sick from the salmon flukes, I really dont know why, as he is always rolling around in nasty rotten fuglies. I dont let him get to blood or guts,but I am pretty sure he spent most of a ride home from Nestucca licking a steely in the backseat:shock: and didn't get sick.... IDK, he is lucky or immune:D

Reactions: OnTheFly
R
RunWithSasquatch
Both of my dogs have had salmon poisoning, one almost died, recognized the others case right of the bat, they go down to the creek and find the dead salmon in the fall. $$$ spendy

S
Santiam338
I think dogs only get it once..After that they are immune...Kinda like the measles..LOL

Reactions: OnTheFly
Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
nice fish and report

J
Johnny Southpaw
steelhead1 said:
Thanks for the replies!Yes,snappin my rod was a total bummer.Seems like I have to buy a new one every year:confused:. I love to take my doggy fishin,and he is as dedicated to it as I am. He always knows the instant me or my buddy hooks one,I think he picks up on the body language or something.He has never got sick from the salmon flukes, I really dont know why, as he is always rolling around in nasty rotten fuglies. I dont let him get to blood or guts,but I am pretty sure he spent most of a ride home from Nestucca licking a steely in the backseat:shock: and didn't get sick.... IDK, he is lucky or immune:D

Nice to be able to take your partner out with you and not really worry about salmon poisoning. Tight lines!

troutdude
troutdude
steelhead1 said:
Thanks for the replies!Yes,snappin my rod was a total bummer.Seems like I have to buy a new one every year:confused:.

Do you use Graphite or Fiberglass?

I have never broken a glass rod. Just a thought to ponder.

Y
youngbuck307
Santiam338 said:
I think dogs only get it once..After that they are immune...Kinda like the measles..LOL

pretty much true once they have it once they normaly won't get it agen....

N
nwkiller
awesome feesh

S
steelhead1
Troutdude, I stepped on my rod with all my wieght jumping off a log.DOH! I doubt any rod would have survived. I generally use graphite rods,as I like a nice fast action. I am really hard on my gear,and need to just pull my head out, and be more careful!

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, even a glass rod might break under those "conditions". Again, sorry that it got broken.

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
He Alsea hows the fish'en your way??? I lived on the Alsea river for 18 years! ") Miss it????