A.b. 5/7/10

N
natro
I was just curious how anybody has done since they stocked AB on Thursday. I limited out and lost quite a few in a couple of hours the day they stocked it (thursday). Went out today and got skunked. I did see a few people doing pretty good though. I decided in the afternoon to go try behind Autzen. I fished the narrow waterway that leads into the radio tower pond. I stopped at one spot along there and attracted a nice BIG fish with my rooster tail. I mean it was steelhead size. I had a brown bodied larger sized rooster tail, and he followed it up until it was about 3 or 4 feet away from the bank, then turned away. Seeing that fish really got the heart pumping, LOL. I tried for another 15 minutes or so with no luck, and moved on. In the end I went home with no fish, but now I know there are some big fish in that little stretch leading to the pond.

Last edited:
G
grampa ron
I must have C&R at least 70 fish today using my fly rod. The fish seem to be moving out of the canal pretty fast. I talked to people that were catching them at spillway yesterday, only a few hours after they were put in. I saw the state trooper catch a guy fishing without a license today. Another guy got a $120 ticket for giving a fish to to someone else.

Admin
Admin
grampa ron said:
Another guy got a $120 ticket for giving a fish to someone else.
Is it illegal to give a fish you caught to another angler?

T
the_intimidator03
it is if you dont do it a certain way lol There is on page 19 of the regulations something called a Fish and Wildlife Transfer Record which should cover your butt on things like that. As for alton baker pond on the 7th I was there fishing next to ron and caught a few then hammered them at the spillway. probably 40-50 fish. Most coming from the spillway. I also got a great blue heron LOL but ron almost had a bigger catch ;-) the state trooper

M
milktoaste
When you guys talk about the spillway, are you talking about the far upstream end where the water comes in next to the boat landing at D street, or the area just West of the freeway, or a different spot?

E
everett464
There's fish in there!

4590239553_5ee0e9f26c.jpg

This one gutted my fly, but I C & R'd about four 10-12". This guy taped out at 14".

N
natro
When I talk about the spillway I'm talking about the area that's the concrete pond, and there is a part of the concrete pond where it spills into the river. I'm assuming that's what everyone else is meaning too. I went and tried the radio tower pond and the narrow stretch leading into the radio tower pond again. I didn't really spend much time there though. There were people canoeing in the narrow water. I talked to a guy for a few minutes at the pond, and he said there was a kid who lost a steelhead (it could have been a brooder too...who knows) right at the bank. I guess he had light line and no net. He was using green power bait. The guy said he got it right up to the bank and it broke his line, and the kid jumped in the water after it. I might try back there again tomorrow, but not sure.

E
everett464
natro said:
. . . and the kid jumped in the water after it.

Hahaha. That is awesome. I have had the urge before for sure, but never actually done it.

T
the_intimidator03
natro said:
When I talk about the spillway I'm talking about the area that's the concrete pond, and there is a part of the concrete pond where it spills into the river. I'm assuming that's what everyone else is meaning too.

this is the spillway as i call it myself

G
grampa ron
Yes it is. Apparently it's ok to let them take it off your hook and keep it. Check the regs.