A 15 pound Channel Cat.

B

bigfootfish

My daughter-in-law holds the family record with this cat. Someday I'll score!:pray:

BFF

B

beaverfan

If your talking about Bullhead they're just about everywhere. If you want to catch something bigger probably St. Louis Ponds, pond #6. I believe ODFW stocks it with Channel Cats.

B

bigfootfish

Walter Wirth too, in Salem. Enter Walter Wirth or St. Louis Ponds in this site's search and it should show you a few things to clickon and read.

BFF

T

Throbbit _Shane

Theres some channel cats at Emigrant lake in ashland, might be quite a drive for u though.

D

davem

What did you caught him on?

B

bigfootfish

Food for cats..

Food for cats..

Hmmm. Many things can work for cats. Chicken liver is real popular, the smellier the better, worms, Ivory soap, lil smokies, liverwurst balls, other kinds of livers, crawdads, salamaders, dead chub(please make sure the chub are very dead!:naughty:). Anyone else got some pointers?

BFF

D

davem

I usually use chicken livers, that's my "go to" bait but if it is summer time and warm I have caught small sunfish and killed them and let them lie in the hot sun for a while and used them for cut bait- either lengthwise fillet with the skin or cross wise steaks. You need this cut bait to have juices, etc and after it soaks a while I think the bait loses its effectiveness.
I have also used live minnows on lead head jigs- just letting them lie on the bottom and that's worked as well.
I'm told that cut up hot dog-the cheap ones made from chicken also work.

B

beaverfan

Hopefully the live minnow thing was in another state. Can't do that here, no live bait.

B

Bohemian

Hmmm. Many things can work for cats. Chicken liver is real popular, the smellier the better, worms, Ivory soap, lil smokies, liverwurst balls, other kinds of livers, crawdads, salamaders, dead chub(please make sure the chub are very dead!:naughty:). Anyone else got some pointers?

BFF

The timing on this post is funny, because Tuesday my Mom emailed and said my dad had just caught a 14lb channel cat on a piece of hot dog that he ended up using because he was out of chicken livers. By the way, they live in Texas and the use of live hot dogs is legal down there -- so don't write a bunch of angry replies :lol:

T

Troutier Bassier

The timing on this post is funny, because Tuesday my Mom emailed and said my dad had just caught a 14lb channel cat on a piece of hot dog that he ended up using because he was out of chicken livers. By the way, they live in Texas and the use of live hot dogs is legal down there -- so don't write a bunch of angry replies :lol:
:lol: Haha!

Chicken liver, with worms. Ivory soap with Bacon grease. Small Bullgill with head cut off.

O

Outdoor_Myers

Can you legaly use blue gill here? I was reading that you are not allowed to mutilate any fish until you reach your car/truck/suv or when you get home?

T

Troutier Bassier

Uhm, I dont think thats true.
If you ever go to big creek theres rotting salmon milk and eggs everywhere and guts and I even found a salmon head.

You can use bluegil if its dead. Or cut. You can't use a live one.

O

Outdoor_Myers

sweet sounds great. Anyone looked at the two rod permit? does that mean you can use two rods on the williamette and any ponds/lakes not listed under the places it says you can't use two?

B

bigfootfish

bait.....

bait.....

Page 7 in the fishing regs tells about bait. Used to be you couldn't even use dead gamefish for bait, but now it's okay. The only live bait we can use in Oregon are earthworms, mealworms, periwinkles, grasshoppers and other assorted bugs, as far as I can tell from the regs. I could be wrong.
The regs do say it's okay to use live nongame fish in the ocean, bays and tidewaters if they were caught in the same waterbody that they will be used.

BFF

J

juggernaut506

Just say the cat was "hitchhiking" on the bluegill or whatever bait that bit your hook first... ;)

Top Bottom