9/29 at Charleston for crab

plumbertom
plumbertom
Launched my jon boat out of Charleston at about 10 AM after the 2-1/2 hour drive from Eugene.
Dropped our 6 traps along the north side up river from the cribs in about 25' or less. Chicken for bait.
This time I tried to keep our soak time shorter between pulls. so about 1/2 hour or so of fooling around jigging for Rock fish around the structure places close by.
Only boated one Black rockfish about 2 lbs. My partner broke his knot on what seemed to be a fair sized ling cod.
Anyway, we did get 24 legal Dungeness along with maybe 8 large Red crabs over about 4 hours on the water.
Lots and lots of females and shorts including those shorts that were just barely (Less than 1/8'') shy of legal
All in all, I'd say we had a good days outing and great meal of fresh crab when I got home.
Now for the crab Étouffée over rice I love so much.

Reactions: Echskech
G
Gulfstream
Many softies?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Gulfstream said:
Many softies?
I don't handle the crab at all until it comes time to clean them.
My fishing partner, who is a few years younger than me, does all the work while boating. I just drive the boat and choose the placement.
We share the work of cleaning them and split the catch evenly between us.
As such I usually don't notice the soft or hard shells until I start cracking them to eat.
So from what I had in my bag I'd say only a couple.
I don't know what my partner had that he took home with him.
They were very sweet and tasty though, and last nights etouffee was great.

G
Gulfstream
Gotcha