8 inch crawdad ... big ..... pic

S
shotgun
Coming from the coast ( Reedsport area ) .... where a crawdad that was 5 inches was big .... this one I got out of a creek that runs through my property ... stretched out ... just hits 8 inches overall .... I have been getting allot of 4 to 6 inch crawdads out of my traps ... But this one I had to show off ...

I have been told that the commercial crawdad fishermen on the Columbia used to get really big ones ... does anyone know how big they were ?

SORRY ... I didn't get a better picture ... he would not hold still ......

Thanks for looking ..... Doug

=====================================================================[/B]

• CRAWDAD 001.jpg
T
tomriker
that's almost a lobster :)

F
fishinmachine
Wall Hanger!

bass
bass
That is a huge crawdad. I think if you let him clamp down on your finger he will hold still :)

J
joem
heard of some 9 to 10 inchers in the snake but i dont belive it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
joem said:
heard of some 9 to 10 inchers in the snake but i dont belive it.
Believe it! As a youngster, I played in the swamps around Hermiston with my sister, brother and cousins. We regularly caught 12"-ers. We would take them to school for show and tell because the females would have a bazillion eggs tucked under the tail. :shock: We kept them in a #2 wash tub out on the porch and could only get a max of four to stay inside due to their size. I was shocked to see the size of the ones my kids caught in Benson Lake. They were tiny in comparison. :D

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I have found a couple nearly that big free diving the Siletz. Angle of attack is critical!! I had a big one latch onto me about 30' down. My shriek probably spooked every living thing a mile up and a mil down river.

S
salmonslayer1991
quality over quantity! that sure is a biggun!

J
jadleybray
Zen, that's halarious! In my ignorance I had no idea they got that big

M
Moe
I have hooked 8-9 inch craws while fishing the T, I wonder how many you vould get with a trap

D
DrRocks
I've trapped crawdads on the Alsea, Marys and Luckiamute and have gotten a few 8 to 9 inchers. As far as number in a trap, I've caught over 75 in one trap (box style, about 18" X 12" X 12") - it was packed about 1/2 full! I recall tossing about 1/2 of them back in to grow up a bit. Use a little tainted chicken, fish heads or liver and let is soak overnight. I generally go out about 3 times a year and keep about 60 - 80 for a nice little boil or gumbo.