#8 Cascade Blade

#8 Cascade Blade

• Ya, I man enough to wrassel big fish..bring it on!

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Nah, I'm happy with whats currently available.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
K
Kodiak
I've spent around a year off and on trying to build and tune a #8 Cascade, and believe I have finnaly found success. Earlier in the season I posted about an experiment which resulted in beeing spooled almost by a large fish...this would be the critter that did it. After playing with the spinner yesterday with Osmosis we determined it is a .5mph blade to 3.0 mph. It has an increadable speed range, at the slower end very "thumpy" and smooths out and will stay down at the top end around 3.0 mph, giving you a wider range of conditions to fish it in. It will come stock in all of our predator and inferno patterns and colors with a 10mm fiber optic beads and UV Cast. We are estimating its launch date early to mid september, just in the nick of time for fall chinook, and retail around 8.50..still less expensive than GDF.

F
FishSchooler
Kodiak said:
I've spent around a year off and on trying to build and tune a #8 Cascade, and believe I have finnaly found success. Earlier in the season I posted about an experiment which resulted in beeing spooled almost by a large fish...this would be the critter that did it. After playing with the spinner yesterday with Osmosis we determined it is a .5mph blade to 3.0 mph. It has an increadable speed range, at the slower end very "thumpy" and smooths out and will stay down at the top end around 3.0 mph, giving you a wider range of conditions to fish it in. It will come stock in all of our predator and inferno patterns and colors with a 10mm fiber optic beads and UV Cast. We are estimating its launch date early to mid september, just in the nick of time for fall chinook, and retail around 8.50..still less expensive than GDF.

GDFs are really really expensive, unless you buy some 30 of em for something like 50 cents each at a going-out-of-business sale. But I think your spinners will out fish GDFs 2 to 1 ;)

K
Kodiak
wanting to know what you guys think....do I dare go into production with it?

F
FishSchooler
Just curious... whats the expense is to get all the components/go through the building process?

Do you just buy normal components then coat them with UV reflective paint?

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
to design one or to just build one?

F
FishSchooler
Everything to get the finish product that you have to go through every time

M
metalmania
I wish I had a boat to troll them with, but if there anything like mini's i'm sure they'll destroy the fish:lol:.

K
Kodiak
FishSchooler said:
Everything to get the finish product that you have to go through every time

Okay. So far into the #8 I have approx. 385 hrs. of my own time reaserching what shape and size would work best for this blade...we'll say at $15.00/hr (less than my working wage) $5775.00. Raw materials, and marine brass is expensive $9.00 for 4"x10". After 67 individual blades, that comes out to 12 sheets to get close..$108. I paid someone to do the finished prototypes after finalized measurements..$75.00. The quote on my die to stamp them is right at $3500.00. If things go wrong with the die I only have to pay 25% of any following changes to the die to make the blade right...could be 2-3 times.
We'll say all goes well and no changes need to be made(usually its 1 to 2). the cost of stamping the blade will cost me and undisclosed amount. Creating a new blade is expensive proposition. I have to know there will be a market for my product before I invest the money. I already have a couple of custom shops willing to buy them from me..not sure I will sell to them...We'll see.

F
FishSchooler
That's boggling my mind...
What about an older design after you find out what works, like an inferno mini?

O
osmosis
the mini's use a french blade - he didn't have to design the blade just the paint and paint schemes. That takes the cost of the die out but it is still not a very cheap thing initial investment wise.

K
Kodiak
FishSchooler said:
That's boggling my mind...
What about an older design after you find out what works, like an inferno mini?

Things like that are what we call proprietary. Just like I won't give up who does my stamping of the blades, how we created the UV, the exact process for painting our blades. Some things are a mystery of life my little one.

F
FishSchooler
All this UV talk and UV catching fish, it's making me lose faith in my own spinners! :lol:

S
steelhead_stalkers
We caught one steelhead on a rooster tail yesterday and one on a silver rvrfshr spinner number 3 and two salmon on small spinners :) Great spinners will help but so does knowing how and were to fish for them! I would have loved throwing out a uv spinner at them to see if they reacted differently as the water was so clear we could spot them.

Last edited:
A
Anyfishisfine
I'm interested, but overwhelmed. I've been eyeballing your product line for a while. I love the fact they are designed and proven in the waters I fish.

Could you recommend the essential starter set for an aspiring spinner fisherman like myself?

A
Anyfishisfine
FishSchooler said:
All this UV talk and UV catching fish, it's making me lose faith in my own spinners! :lol:

You shouldn't give up. Your spinners will catch fish, it's just that Kodiak's will give you an edge. Even if you do catch less, the satisfaction factor will be many times more on what you built.

K
Kodiak
Anyfishisfine said:
I'm interested, but overwhelmed. I've been eyeballing your product line for a while. I love the fact they are designed and proven in the waters I fish.

Could you recommend the essential starter set for an aspiring spinner fisherman like myself?

For nooks or steelies and what rivers are you fishing?..and costal colors are sometimes different than inland rivers. I would look at the colors that traditionally produce for me then look seriously at the colors that I carry that come close, or maybe you need a custom for a particular situation. It's hard for me to know without a little more detail.

Besides the 8 I will have a line of spoons and wobblers comming out in august in time for the fall fish. I'm still trying to decide if there is enough of a market for the investment in the 8..I think I will throw up a poll.

K
Kodiak
steelhead_stalkers said:
We caught one steelhead on a rooster tail yesterday and one on a silver rvrfshr spinner number 3 and two salmon on small spinners :) Great spinners will help but so does knowing how and were to fish for them! I would have loved throwing out a uv spinner at them to see if they reacted differently as the water was so clear we could spot them.

I was in the realitively same situation with Osmosis last time, He was throwing a traditional spinner i was throwing UV. There was an obvious difference in reaction of the fish, even though niether of us caught the fish the reaction to the traditional spinner was more subduded gently sliding out of the way, while the UV spinner the fish reacted earlier by wiggling and mouthing and as the spinner approached his reactions were more pronounced, and at times allowing the UV spinner to rest along side of his body, and head and never flinch. This fish was obviously not active and wasn't going to bite anything, but there were vast differences in behavior.

S
steelhead_stalkers
That's cool to be able to see that! We did learn some more about steelhead and how they react do different lures and jigs. Sometimes you had to make twenty passes and they would ignore all of them and then for some reason snap and eat it! Very cool to see and helps you understand them a bit more.

F
FishSchooler
If there isn't much of an investment, have you thought about selling your spinners to many large retail stores, like Dick's, Fisherman's marine, etc.?
It would be better for you and the rest of us.

A
Anyfishisfine
Kodiak said:
For nooks or steelies and what rivers are you fishing?..and costal colors are sometimes different than inland rivers. I would look at the colors that traditionally produce for me then look seriously at the colors that I carry that come close, or maybe you need a custom for a particular situation. It's hard for me to know without a little more detail.

Besides the 8 I will have a line of spoons and wobblers comming out in august in time for the fall fish. I'm still trying to decide if there is enough of a market for the investment in the 8. I think I will throw up a poll.

So far just bank-fishing the Sandy and Clack, but I could see myself trying out the coastal streams as well. I'm very much a beginner with one springer under my belt. I'm still building my basic tool set for it, and it's missing any spinners.

Top Bottom