7lbr on 6lb test!

P

Phil_Bud

Woke up early this morning for this nice Upper Rogue River Steelhead.
Pretty pumped on this fish...This is my first and biggest in a little while so it deserves its six pictures!
It was full of roe...most I've ever seen in a steely...hopefully it will get us into a few more.
Slapped her on the tag...
Then halfed the meat with my pard todd...Gunna cook it tomorrow.
Except for the cell phone pictures...it was a good day....FINALLY!!!
Can't wait till the chrome winters are in thick!

Attachments

• clip of fury.jpg
    clip of fury.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 39
  • all eggs.jpg
    all eggs.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 33
  • steeldome.jpg
    steeldome.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 33
  • nice doe.jpg
    nice doe.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 37
  • upper rogue steel.jpg
    upper rogue steel.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 33
  • huge scanes.jpg
    huge scanes.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 36
C

capblack

nice fish, why are you using 6 lb test? just for the challenge?

troutdude

troutdude

Very nice job buddy. And on 6 lb. test line too...SUH WEEEEEET!

With the copious amounts of rain that we've been getting; I would think that the chrome would be in thick by now.

T

tonedef89

Nice fish, Upper Rogue huh? This is my first year fishing steelhead and everything I read says February/March on the Rogue. Good to know I can get out there before that. Lot closer to home than the coast or Grants Pass.

P

Phil_Bud

Very nice job buddy. And on 6 lb. test line too...SUH WEEEEEET!

With the copious amounts of rain that we've been getting; I would think that the chrome would be in thick by now.
I heard they are in GP...On the days I've been to the REALLY upper rogue; including today I've only seen big summers landed...could be more in there then I think though...:think:

Last edited:
P

Phil_Bud

Nice fish, Upper Rogue huh? This is my first year fishing steelhead and everything I read says February/March on the Rogue. Good to know I can get out there before that. Lot closer to home than the coast or Grants Pass.
Someone correct me if im wrong...but you can harvest fin clipped steelhead all year around on the rogue.
There are just certain regz on what gear you can use at certain times of the year.

brandon4455

brandon4455

noice steel! (with a british accent)

F

FISHHEADMAFIA

Damm I miss the Rogue . Used to live in GP . Hit up the Casey zone quite a bit . Enough memories though ,
Thats a fine fish dude ! ! ! !

T

the salmon kid

hey man Ive seen you fish that hole (corner pocket) before do you remember me?
kid in a camo jacked fishing with spoons and full of fish stories
got your pm about the central point group and it sounds like a fantastic idea

S

skunk

Nice fish, funny thing...I think I caught a whif of the one cut in the sink. Nothing like fresh fish just before cooking and eating. mmmmmmm.

P

Phil_Bud

Damm I miss the Rogue . Used to live in GP . Hit up the Casey zone quite a bit . Enough memories though ,
Thats a fine fish dude ! ! ! !
Yeah, when I decided to move up here and go to school I was dreading leaving the Klamath River fishing I was used to...but really it's just a hop, skip, and a jump over the mountain into the rogue valley where the fishing is just as good...Its great that mostly all of Oregon's Rivers have strong runs of fish...No matter where; I think we're pretty lucky to live in the Northwest.
I was never used to being able to fish for coho or spring salmon on the klamath so im luvin the rogue!
Fish on bring on the winterz!

P

Phil_Bud

hey man Ive seen you fish that hole (corner pocket) before do you remember me?
kid in a camo jacked fishing with spoons and full of fish stories
got your pm about the central point group and it sounds like a fantastic idea
Yeah I seen you around a few times...I was drivin to school one day and seen you headin to TUE VILLE with a backpack full of rods...lol. fish on!
Yeah "corner pocket" is growin on me...good drift through there...is this the same place you had all of your luck with the COHO's? Or was it the hole right below there?
YEAH I'm tellin ya CP holds some good anglers. Rogue Valley period.

Y

yellowjacket

Light tackle

Light tackle

I use light gear most of the time too. 8# sufix copolymer on a 20 series reel IM6 rod with the cheap $.95 for 20 #4 black octopus hooks from W-mart. Once you get the hang of loose drag & using hand control on the spinning reel spool you don't lose many to shaken hooks. Here's a pic of a couple 7-8# late summers I got recently. Fishing fast running water is the biggest challenge, getting them to stop running downstream in the current without breaking the line.

Tight lines & sizzlin' skillets :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rippin fish lips

yeah its all about the drag...soon as i get the set thats the next place my hand goes. Up to loosen the drag...automatically...now...but lost a few learning how fast you have to actually do it lol...i agree the true challenge on light gear is the fish using the current against you...nothing like reeling in a hawg in a nice big pool on light tackle...just you, the fish, and your drag. Luv it.

ilovecathchingsteelheadonlightgear!!!! :d :p :)

Top Bottom