7/16 Olallie Lake

B

beaverfan

So I spent the afternoon up at Olallie with my dad. It was great haven't gone trout fishing with him in a couple years. Got up there around 2pm. The fish were jumping all over the place again, anywhere from 1ft-10ft offshore. Out in the middle of the lake nothing all day long. Instead of hitting these white moth bugs they were going nuts for mosquitos. Too bad I really messed up my already messed up back a couple days ago and could barely get out of bed. My dad busted out the fly rod and caught some small ones then I think he noticed how jealous I was that he could use flies but my back hurt too bad to keep casting and all that so he switched over to powerbait with me. Great day. Wish I wasn't in so much pain but it was great to spend some time with my dad up there. Plus we caught a bunch. 19 total 6 kept I got 10 he got 9 nothing special. The smallest was about 8" the biggest around 14" or so. They were stealing our bait like crazy. Seriously we would cast out and either have a fish on or our bait stolen within a minute or two all day long. A little dissapointed in Fisherman's Marine. Went there to get some stuff. They were out of nearly everything. Almost no Powerbait and what they did have they were charging 6.19 for! I would have bought Powereggs but wasn't about to shell over that much when I can get them for four at Kmart! Other than that slight dissapointment and severe back pain it was a great day! Here are a couple pics.
Picture081.jpg
Picture082.jpg

Last edited:
P

platteflyfisher

Awesome, fun times

Awesome, fun times

Spending the day with the pops is worth the pain.

S

scouternw

19" 2lb'r

19" 2lb'r

:) Was there yesterday as well, I was the lone stranger on the rock point across from the store. Nailed a nice 19" 2 lb beauty about 10 am'ish and more pan size than I cared for. Tossed most back (kept the 19") naturally. Hit Harriet on the way home and had an absolute ball. Cast, reel in fish, cast, reel in fish...OMG it was fun.
Fisherman's had "a lot" of powerbait on Wednesday. With Joe's gone and Bi-Mart not stocking as much it's tough. I found the dough at 3.99 (.50 higher than Bi-Mart) and such. Not sure what you saw for $6+. Did find a new "chartreuse Scales" in the power-egg type. Tried a jar. Both Olallie and Harriet didn't need anything special - fish were more than hungry I found. BI-MART WAKE UP!
*Nice you were able to be out with family.

B

beaverfan

Way to go on the 19incher. I was fishing from the 2nd rocky point. I knew we shoulda stopped at Harriet. My dad a lifelong fisherman and native porltander has NEVER been!

T

troutmagic

How were the mosquitos up there when you went? When we went up to Three Creeks a few weeks ago they were so bad it was difficult to do anything, they were sooooo thick!

B

beaverfan

I remember there being a few but honestly I don't pay much attention to them. For some reason they almost never bite me. Just called my dad to ask him if he remembered lots of mosquitos. He says yes they were horrible!

B

beaverfan

I'm heading back up to Olallie this morning. I'll have a report hopefully with some fish pictures as soon as I get back.

W

wormosa

So I spent the afternoon up at Olallie with my dad. It was great haven't gone trout fishing with him in a couple years. Got up there around 2pm. The fish were jumping all over the place again, anywhere from 1ft-10ft offshore. Out in the middle of the lake nothing all day long. Instead of hitting these white moth bugs they were going nuts for mosquitos. Too bad I really messed up my already messed up back a couple days ago and could barely get out of bed. My dad busted out the fly rod and caught some small ones then I think he noticed how jealous I was that he could use flies but my back hurt too bad to keep casting and all that so he switched over to powerbait with me. Great day. Wish I wasn't in so much pain but it was great to spend some time with my dad up there. Plus we caught a bunch. 19 total 6 kept I got 10 he got 9 nothing special. The smallest was about 8" the biggest around 14" or so. They were stealing our bait like crazy. Seriously we would cast out and either have a fish on or our bait stolen within a minute or two all day long. A little dissapointed in Fisherman's Marine. Went there to get some stuff. They were out of nearly everything. Almost no Powerbait and what they did have they were charging 6.19 for! I would have bought Powereggs but wasn't about to shell over that much when I can get them for four at Kmart! Other than that slight dissapointment and severe back pain it was a great day! Here are a couple pics.
Picture081.jpg
Picture082.jpg
nice fish, i have only dreamed of days at olallie like that... and i put in my time believe me... nice pics....thanks..

B

beaverfan

Just got back, my dad got 14 and I caught 13. Didn't get any pics because I guess I broke my camera. All the ones we got were 11-14 inches but we saw dozens and dozens of 3-10lbers cruising the shallows. Couldn't get any of the biguns to bite, tried everything in my box. I started off using one of my double bladed spinners and caught three, then caught another three or four on a rainbow kastmaster. In the afternoon the bite dropped off so I switched to powerbait for a bit. All in all a great day, could have been better if I had gotten one of the monsters to bite. Just as an FYI to anyone headed up there in the next couple weeks. The Yellowjackets are out in full force and they are pee-peed OFF.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GoneFishin2134

Sounds like a blast! I have never been there, consider it many a time., but never have made it. I am thinking of making a trip up there next weekend. Do they allow boats, trolling motors? Thanks.

W

wormosa

Sounds like a blast! I have never been there, consider it many a time., but never have made it. I am thinking of making a trip up there next weekend. Do they allow boats, trolling motors? Thanks.
olallie is a blast, and it is one amazing place, i refer to it as "gods country" the only issue is row only... it is my favorite place in oregon to fish for trout... you should definetly go there

Top Bottom