6 1/2 foot sturgeon on the Willy

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Thanks Bass for an awesome first time sturgeon experience!
Bass and I hit the water around 7:45 am this morning for my first intro to sturgeon fishing. The 14 mph winds whipped us around, but the rain was held at bay, and a couple of shakers had been landed in the first hour. Around 8:45 am Minnowmagnet hooked into a 6 ½ foot oversize and fought it about 10 minutes before graciously handing off the rod to me. Talk about an act of chivalry! You are truly a class act, Minnowmagnet.
Once I grabbed the rod I knew I was in for a battle. My first sturgeon ever, the rod bowed in a semi-circle, the line peeling off the spool. For the first 10 minutes, I awkwardly pumped the rod every now and then and reeled, the fish slapping me around, cruising along the bottom like it was king.
Minnowmagnet asked, “What's the biggest fish you've ever landed?”
“A 9 pound steelhead,” I admitted, embarrassed.
That's when I realized I was way out of my league here with this 100+ lb. Fish. With every run, my forearm and biceps ached as I strained against the fish. With no experience in big fish, and no technique to fall back on, it was a rough ride to say the least. The fish was clearly beating me up.
Suddenly Bass cruised up in his kayak, radiant. “You've got to fight that fish! Don't let him rest. Pump that rod...thumb the spool when he makes a run...keep the pressure on him constantly. Don't let him hang out on the bottom. You have to force him to the surface.”
His words suddenly snapped me into action, and I focused on the fish, quickly developing a rhythm of pumping the rod up, reeling down hard, then pumping it up again. By 9:15 am, a surge of massive bubbles
rose to the surface and I wondered if I were reeling up a submarine.
“The bubbles! That's it...he's coming up now,” Bass encouraged.
But another lightning run, the rod dipped low as line peeled out, the spool burning under my thumb. The leviathan wasn't giving up yet.
Another 10 minutes passed, me frantically reeling down on the fish after every hard pull upward, constantly thumbing the spool tight to slow his runs, my thumb stinging...my biceps aching.
“We're in 17 feet of water!” I said, quickly gauging my depth finder. The line was almost vertical in the water, the kayak almost on top of him. “He's close!”
I pulled off my knit cap, “I'm burning up!” I said, though it was 45 degrees outside with a cutting windchill.
And then at 9:25 am the beast surfaced suddenly...exhausted...and rolled onto his back exposing his soft white belly.
Minnowmagnet unhooked him while Bass and I watched in silent reverence.
Bass grabbed the tape measure. “78 inches long,” he said.
Minnowmagnet fired back, “This fish probably weighs about a 120 lbs.”
Minnow passed the fish off to me, and I grabbed the sturgeon's vast, rubbery mouth to feel its weight. I was in complete awe.
A couple of quick photos and he was released, down into the depths, to grow another foot or two.

Thanks Bass and Minnowmagnet for and incredible oversize sturgeon experience!

--Vance

p.s. My narration in the video gets funny when it's time to release the fish. I was repeatedly saying, "Do i just let him go? Just like that?" In my mind I was thinking... Am I supposed to revive him first? How do I revive a 120 lb fish?!

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Wow! It's going to be hard to beat that experience, almost as hard as it will be to quit grinning like you must be right now. Way to go out there, guys! :worthy: Thanks for sharing your day with us. :thumb:

T
TimberTodd
Congratulations:thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
Wow; that report was EPIC! Way to go; and kudos to Magnet for the hand OFF! :yikes:

P.S. I hear that, there are recovery support groups for your new addiction! :D

E
eugene1
That's a pretty awesome day on the water!

Sounds like you had some good teachers to help out.

Best,

bass
bass
Great to meet you out there Vance (Gettin' Jiggy Wid It). You lost your sturgeon-ity virginity in a BIG way :) I will get pics off the camera tonight and add a few pics to the post. Vance did a great job fishing for sturgeon for the first time under some very difficult conditions. The current was not very strong, the sturgeon were biting very lightly, and the wind was whipping and shifting directions a lot which was swinging us all over the place. However, he did a really good job of focusing and landed several shakers completely on his own. I only handed him a piece of bait. When he felt his first bite he said, "it feels like they are just scratching it". That is great explanation of what a sturgeon bite feels like.

Great job Vance, I know you are hooked as well as that big girl in the video :)

troutdude
troutdude
Kudos to you as well Bass, for helping Jiggy get into those dinosaurs. Can't wait, to see the pics!

M
minnowmagnet
It was nice meeting you out there V. I really like you kayak fishing setup. I get so tired paddling all the time during springer season. You did a great job with the fish. I think everyone should fight an oversized their first time sturgeon fishing.
Bass is no doubt a great person to learn the ropes from. He was still out there when I headed in at 3. Insatiable! Even with the conditions, yesterday turned out to be one of the best sturgeon days of the fall for me. All of the end of day oversized left me frazzled.
Yours was biggest.

B
Big3d
Congrats. You just got an addiction far hardrr to kick than any drug on the market! Nice fish, may they all be oversized monsters!

bass
bass
Here are a few more pics from the day:

Gettin' Jiggy Wid It, wondering what the heck he has gotten himself into while minnowmagnet offers encouragement:
qIyFBgQ.jpg

Minnowmagnet with the grab:
oYYNVzH.jpg

Gettin' Jiggy Wid It getting a kiss goodbye:
VKDHyNq.jpg

Then it was back to fishing for normal sized fish. Getting Jiggy Wid It hooking into his first solo sturgeon:
zvoYG3J.jpg

And the look of relief at not having had to battle another oversized :)
i5UdOz6.jpg

Here is my full report for the day:

Took a Gettin Jiggy Wid It (GJWI)out to introduce him to kayak sturgeon fishing. Minnowmagnet (MM)showed up to fish as well. A bit after we got there MM hooked up a huge 6.5' sturgeon and handed the rod off to GJWI. That is the way to lose your sturgeon-ity :) That was really a nice gesture MM!

After that we went out of the mouth to where there was some current to try to offset the brutal wind. The current helped some and the shaker bite was decent. GJWI caught his first few sturgeon and was really happy. While the bite was decent where we were it was clearly going to be a shaker fest so GJWI and I went downstream to see if we could find some better fish I picked up another 3 or 4 shakers but GJWI did not hook up again - it was really tough to tell the bites.

GJWI left in the early afternoon and I headed back to go fish in the harbor where I had marked a ton of fish earlier (but it was impossible to fish in the shifting wind with two kayaks hanging off of one anchor buoy). I found MM there and he said that the bite was insane, nothing but keepers and oversized. I anchored up a short distance away and pretty much immediately caught a fat 49" fish.

QPXfYCc.jpg

After picking up 4 keepers from that spot the bite died (Brian had been on that spot killing them for quite a while before I got there). Brian went and took a bio break and I pulled anchor and moved a few hundred yards away and the bite was just as hot there, although there were a few shakers. Brian topped of the day with another 6 footer (how many oversized did you catch???). I picked up another 4 keepers and a couple of shakers.

Brian left around 3:30 or so but I decided to keep fishing. I started casting where he had just pulled his anchor and man that was like a sturgeon magnet. I landed 3 keepers on 3 casts and never waited more than a few seconds for a bite. I swear on one cast a fish bit before it had even made it all the way to the bottom.

B7LfoH2.jpg

Then on the 4th cast I waited for a few minutes without a bite and decided to move. It was about a bit after 4:00 and I wanted to fish inside the harbor a bit before I left.

It was freaky. I anchored up near the big boat with the big radar domes on it. There were so many sturgeon jumping around me that it was scary. A fish was jumping within casting distance about every 15 seconds. I caught a mix of shakers and keepers here with really fast action. I fished the area by moving my bait every 10 seconds. It almost felt like I was fishing a carolina rig for bass. Pretty much every bite came right after a move.

This one was close to oversized but I could not get an accurate measurement:
htxY55S.jpg

This one was one of the fattest sturgeon I have ever caught for its size:
NO3AVY1.jpg

Finally I hooked an oversized:
0MjfpjN.jpg

I battled it for about 15 minutes before it snapped my line. Quite a few sturgeon had rolled up my line during the course of the day and I think that it was probably frayed and I should have re-tied several times during the day. By then it was about close to 5:00 and getting pretty dark so I pulled anchor and hauled butt back to the ramp.

Overall it was was probably my best day of sturgeon fishing ever in terms of total number of inches caught - and my day sucked compared to mnoowmagnet's :) I probably ended up with 15 or so keeper sized sturgeon. I went through 36 baits (1/2 anchovies) counting the ones I shared with MM and GJWI. I would guess I used about 28 myself. I caught multiple fish on baits quite a few times. I would guess I ended up with 30 or more sturgeon on the day.

Minnowmagnet, I just have to say again that I have never seen anyone do so well on the oversized. I bet you caught over a 100' of sturgeon yesterday :) That is just downright insane.

troutdude
troutdude
Totally awesome additional report there Bass. Made me feel, like I was along for the ride. Thanks for the great write up, and great pics!

:worthy:

Oh...and now we have a newly coined Fishing Phrase: "Bio Break"!!!

:lol:

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Brian unhooking the 6 1/2 footer...thanking the fish for giving us a good fight.IMG_0016.jpg

John landing another shaker in the rock-n-chop surf.

bass
bass
Ha, that was such a little fish, but man you can really hear the wind noise! The important thing though is to admire the kayak spreader at the beginning of the video to allow two yaks to fish off the same anchor buoy without banging into each other! Clearly a marvel of modern engineering :)

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
That spreader worked extremely well. I was surprised at how fast we were both able be latch onto it and quick-release off of it. Even with all the wind, we were able to fish side-by-side without hanging up any gear or feeling crowded.

I'm headed out today to look for anchor supplies. :)

bass
bass
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
That spreader worked extremely well. I was surprised at how fast we were both able be latch onto it and quick-release off of it. Even with all the wind, we were able to fish side-by-side without hanging up any gear or feeling crowded.

I'm headed out today to look for anchor supplies. :)

1/8" or 3/16" nylon is all you need for anchor rope, I think Brian uses para-cord. I have 300' (three 100' sections tied together) on my spool and I have let out ~250' a few times (but to be honest that really sucks when you try to get your anchor back). Also, the big thing is to practice anchoring and retrieving a few times in light current before trying to pull in heavy current. That can be pretty dangerous and is an easy way to get flipped. I have had a few close calls in fast current up by Cedaroak when I just did not pay enough attention to what I was doing.

If you have any direction questions then shoot me a PM and I will respond as quickly as possible.

H
Hawk
Those are all beautiful fish. Well Done. Great Job bro's......:D:D