50+ bass last night!

D
daehleets
Did a test run on the sea bass last night, Buddy fished his swimbait without a1bbb.jpga1bb.jpga1bbbbbbb.jpga1bbbbbbbb.jpga1b.jpga1bbbb.jpg tippin his swimbait. I fished my marabou jig tipped with a river wiggler . after 8 fish to his none he started tippin his swimbait and the bass started slamin his. Think the added smell of the bait due to fishin um at night helps cause they rely more on there noses. Also found the fish would come back if we missed hookin up first strike due to being real food and get them hooked up on the second or third strike. good times on the little utra light!

Reactions: Finneus Polebender
F
Finneus Polebender
Nice shootin guys gonna have to hit you up when I get over to the coast next time for some of that action!

B
Bad Tuna
Looks awesome! Makes me hungry..

D
daehleets
Bad Tuna said:
Looks awesome! Makes me hungry..
Made me hungry enough to fillet a few up last night a 2 am and fry um up. Hard to beat that with a shot of lemon and a glob of tatar sauce!

troutdude
troutdude
Oh yeah!!! Way to go. I got into those sea bass like that a few decades back, with floating rapalas. Night time and minus tide = lots o' bass. It's a blast reeling in something that you can't see too! lol

D
Drew9870
Those really have some size to them, nice job.

Reminds me of a couple months ago when I was in the boat with my buddies at Newport, they were getting a fish every once in awhile on white rubber grubs, but I starting getting Coppers and Blues about every cast just using a strip of Trout meat with a 1/8oz bullet slider above it.

Bait, in general, can boost the effeciency of most lures, fish don't naturally eat things without taste/scent, so they will even hold the lure longer with added bait, I bet I could have tipped a grub with a Nightcrawler on my buddies boat and had the same results. Not to bag on the flourescent dyed octo, I might even do it to Squid and Octo tentacles this year just to make them more eye catching to the fish, might even experiment dying Trout fillets :):think:.

Squid and Octo have a great protein content, along with a great scent and amino content, so I take it just a dye and a preservative, this is another part of bait making I need to research. Gonna do a documentary on a wide variety of fish liking Squid/Octo bought from the store, Largemouth, Rainbows, etc.

4Age 503
Wherabouts were ya guys fishin at? Id like to head to the coast next weekend.

D
daehleets
4Age 503 said:
Wherabouts were ya guys fishin at? Id like to head to the coast next weekend.
Depoe bay area, Just make sure your prepared for the night life of fishin with the right weather forcast, tides, boots, lights, gear ect. Easy for good things to go bad perty fast at night. Carefull and good luck!

D
daehleets
Finneus Polebender said:
Nice shootin guys gonna have to hit you up when I get over to the coast next time for some of that action!
PM sent

H
Hawk
Those are reel Beautiful bass Bro.
Well Done.
:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool:

D
daehleets
Thanks Hawk, can't wait till i have some time to chase um again!
Hawk said:
Those are reel Beautiful bass Bro.
Well Done.
:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool:

Last edited:
C
CoastieFlo
Where can I get some of those wiggler lookin thingys to try.......or better yet I could 'test' some for you down at Winchester Bay :)

D
daehleets
PM sent
CoastieFlo said:
Where can I get some of those wiggler lookin thingys to try.......or better yet I could 'test' some for you down at Winchester Bay :)

N
nwkiller
nice fish man!!! thats a fat bass

S
Slick
I know you had fun with that. Congrats man.

4Age 503
Thanx For The Info! Might Head Out There This Weekend.

T
Team CF
How the heck do you catch those and where? lol looks amazing! great job.

D
daehleets
Team CF said:
How the heck do you catch those and where? lol looks amazing! great job.
Thanks. They can be caught on a variety of gear, Rapalas, swimbaits, jigs. Seem to do the best with steelhead marabou jigs tipped with the stickleback bait for added scent and taste. Depoe bay worked for me but i hear all up and down the coast there is places to catch these hogs. Good luck

Slick said:
I know you had fun with that. Congrats man.

Thnkx

nwkiller said:
nice fish man!!! thats a fat bass
Thanx, did managed to tie into a few nice hogletts that night, Sure fun to play on those ultra lights!

troutdude
troutdude
daehleets said:
Thanks. They can be caught on a variety of gear, Rapalas, swimbaits, jigs. Seem to do the best with steelhead marabou jigs tipped with the stickleback bait for added scent and taste. Depoe bay worked for me but i hear all up and down the coast there is places to catch these hogs. Good luck

X 2. I've had the same level of success w/ floating Rapalas (blue & silver). Got the most hits by reeling VERY SLOWLY, with an occasional twitch every now & then. The trick is in making your plug resemble a wounded bait fish.

Another thing that we did, to bag a lot of those sea bass was to fish OFF of a finger jetty. As the tide went out, we faced the bay side and worked that water. As the tide came back in, we faced the ocean side and worked that water. As the water goes in and out, it washes the food supply OFF of the rocks and onto the surface. Then the bait fish swarm in a feeding frenzy. And those fish are scarfed up by the sea bass (and probably other larger fish too).

Something else that is key, is to time your outing for a low tide. And I've heard that a minus tide is even better.

Also X2 on the warnings stated above. Those rocks are SLIPPERY, so be aware of what's going on. Don't allow yourself to get caught out there, and get swept up in the tidewaters as they flow back in. It is a VERY strong current. So, give yourself plenty of time to get OFF the jetty and back to safe ground.

Good luck!

P.S. Sea bass have some serious spines, so just pinch their bottom lip and under their tongue. The pressure of your thumb under their tongue paralyzes them; so you can remove your hooks without getting jabbed.