5' fly rod?

troutdude
troutdude
Does anyone own a 5' flyrod? I've never seen one before so short (as the one that I've recently seen). If you have one, what line weight is it rated for? Is it designed for small streams for something else?

L
Lamzy
I have a 5' casting rod that has a cork handle but no reel seat but two rings that I want to try with my 2 or 5wt lines in some of the creeks around here, but have not done so yet. It is some what stiff but might work.
KiltedBob

G
Growbug
I have recently been eyeing up a 3wt thats 5ft6, so a 5ft would probably be around that, although you can get different lengths in different weights, the smaller weight rods are usually shorter.
They are great for snicking flies, streamers, etc under branches and cover and amazing fun on small rivers and lakes where there are cutthroat.

T
troutramp
I have a 6ft 4wt I have fished a 5 ft 5wt bamboo. It was a sweet little rod, fished hoppers that day on the north fork of the white river on the white mountain Apache reservation, played many 10-14 inch browns that day. A 5 ft rod would be for small streams I could not think of another situation for a rod that short.

troutdude
troutdude
Lamzy, I'm pretty sure that you're gonna find out that a casting rod is not made for fly fishing.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I've seen, but not fished with, rods that short. Most are in the 2-4 weight catagory, but I've seen blanks for sale online that claim to be 5 weight rods. They're all small-stream rods, meant for really small, brushy creeks. That's where such a rod shines. I used to own a neat little 6' 2 weight TFO and it was an amazing small stream rod. I'm pretty sure my next fly rod will be one I build, I'm eyeing up the Batson Enterprises RX6 6'6" 2 weight blank to make into a small stream rod. Sometimes 8' is just too dern long. A 5' or 5'6" small stream fly rod, in 1-3 weight would be about perfect for some of the little creeks I fish.

Now, I will admit that I've played with a Luhr-Jenson ultra light spin rod I own, with a fly reel mounted to it. It's a 6' ultra light 2 piece, with a straight all cork grip, and two sliding bands for the reel seat. This lets you put the reel anywhere on the cork you want. a 5 weight line really over-loaded this rod, but a 2 or 3 weight would probably work really well. I also admit that sometimes I've fought off the urge to cut the spinning guides from the blank, and tie on new snake guides and a smaller stripping guide.

L
Lamzy
5 ft rod

5 ft rod

troutdude said:
Lamzy, I'm pretty sure that you're gonna find out that a casting rod is not made for fly fishing.

that is what I am afraid of but I thought I would give it a try.
I do have have fly rods from 7ft to 10ft but thought I would try this stiff 5 fter.
I know it would not load up very good but in a small creek the casting will be short.
KiltedBob

troutdude
troutdude
Can't hurt to try!