400 pound halibut!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
-c09c-400a-8c39-954932f88bf8-large16x9_halibutfull.jpg

Story shared from KATU Facebook page:

AA
PETERSBURG, Alaska (AP) — It wasn't a record breaker, but it was still a helluva halibut.

Petersburg radio station KFSK reports that fishermen Brian Mattson and Doug Corl hauled in the catch of a lifetime Sunday with a 396-pound halibut in southeast Alaska. The fish was nearly 8 feet long.

They used a winch to bring the fish up onto their vessel, the Day Spring, and Mattson says it "just kept coming and coming, and then we knew it was big."

A large crowd came down to the dock to see the fish when they delivered the halibut for processing at Petersburg Fisheries Inc. Even Levy Boiter with the International Pacific Halibut Commission went to get a gander.

Boiter says, "This is definitely not the average fish."

The record catch came in 1996 when Jack Tragis brought in a 459-pound halibut in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

Reactions: wozniasm and Admin
T
taconight2night
Is it strange that I hate seeing huge fish like this being harvested? I don't have much halibut experience but I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that huge halibut are lousy to eat and are generally female a.k.a the ones that ought to be let go so that they can breed. I'm gonna do some research now and see if this is true. If it isn't, then I will apologize... If it is true, then shame on this guy.

Reactions: Raincatcher
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Old deer lose their reproductive capabilities so maybe old butts are no longer fertile who knows but its quite a shame to shame a man for a legal catch!

troutdude
troutdude
That's a big ol' brooder, right there. I recently read (somewhere) that, only females get larger than 60 lbs. And they max out, at 400. So she was probably beyond, being able to produce any more OFFspring. [ha ha...you had to know that I'd work the OFF moniker in there somewhere...lol]

T
taconight2night
GaryP1958;n597872 said:
Old deer lose their reproductive capabilities so maybe old butts are no longer fertile who knows but its quite a shame to shame a man for a legal catch!

Fair enough, if they cannot reproduce anymore than I apologize. I did some research on the internet and found a lot info that would suggest otherwise, though. As far as shaming him, if they do reproduce at that size/age, I stand by what I said. Just because it's legal doesn't exclude it from shame.

W
wozniasm
Still can't say that large can still produce.

Adult halibut migrate long distances from shallow summer feeding grounds to deeper winter spawning grounds. The number of eggs they lay depends on the female’s size. A 50-pound female can produce about 500,000 eggs, while a female over 250 pounds can produce four million eggs.

Reactions: Raincatcher
Top Bottom