4-4-09 Hills Creek Lake looks chalky-green...

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
This lake looks weird. Hub and I took a drive around Hills Creek Lake...all the way around! It had a very long and narrow gravel road around the East side of the Lake and the whole lake had a strange chalky greenish color to it.

If I caught a fish in there, I'm not sure if I would want to eat it. What's going on with that lake?

Is it okay to eat fish from that lake?:think:

O
Outdrsmn
Since it was a warm weekend i am sure it was just snow melt that muddy'd up the creeks dumping in there.

M
mikeredding
LadyoftheLake said:
Is it okay to eat fish from that lake?:think:

Yes it is fine. I was born and raised in Oakridge and have eaten thousands of fish from that lake. It is always green in color but gets murky looking from snow melt and run off.

Troutski
Troutski
Extra ear...

Extra ear...

mikeredding said:
Yes it is fine. I was born and raised in Oakridge and have eaten thousands of fish from that lake. It is always green in color but gets murky looking from snow melt and run off.

Ya, but did you didn't tell her about that extra ear under that hat :shock:;)

Actually ODFW/USACE did a study on that very thing, the color of Hills Creek res.. The results were very cool, that particular water shed produce's a very fine silt that tends to stay to the upper part of the water table.
If you have a medium quality sonar and turn your sensitivity all the way up you can see it on the screen. The color change is very short lived each year, the thing about that lake that depresses me is the Toxic Blue Green Algae they have each year.
Personally I think the reason for the algae is a direct result of ODFW closing down the Middle Fork Of The Willamette above Hills Creek res. to any angling...I may be wrong about this so I am willing to go out on a limb and do a study for ODFW and fish that particular body of water for a few years and see if the algae clears up. ;) ;) ;) If you get my drift...yea dirft a jig.

Chuck

M
mikeredding
Troutski said:
Ya, but did you didn't tell her about that extra ear under that hat :shock:;)

Chuck

That's too funny!:lol: