4:20 A.B. Update

E
everett464
I hit the AB Canal today, and wanted to give an update.

First, if someone wants to show me how to fish a wooly bugger one of these days, I would be grateful; I have had absolutely no luck with them in the RT Pond, or anywhere else for that matter. Today was no different: I threw streamers all around that pond from 3:30 - 5:00, and didn't even get a nibble.

At 5:00 I went East of the freeway, and fished a nymph, and had one of the best 45 minutes of fishing of my life. Between the rain, and the low sun, I hooked up with roughly ten fish, and I likely lost another 4.

There are tons of fish in that little canal, and they were all over my stonefly nymph today.

Have fun,

Everett

4539835704_cda534dba2_b.jpg

4539835700_83f97d8692_b.jpg

4539835714_e84c31baab_b.jpg

E
everett464
Yes, I did eye-hook that first fish, and yes, my wife is presenting her wooly bugger as if she'd caught it.

N
natro
Nice job. I thought most of the fish would be out of that area by now. I might have to go poke around there tomorrow. I'm guessing you were over there by Autzen then?

N
nwkiller
nice work man, made the best of the windy rain

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go.

E
everett464
no, not by Autzen, over by the footbridge off od D street East of the freeway.

N
natro
Oh ok, thanks. I don't think I've been over in that area yet, I might have to go do some exploring today. When they stocked in the park there was a fisherman asking the stockers if they stocked anywhere else and I didn't hear what they said, but I heard the fisherman say "oh, by D street". So maybe where you were was it, not sure. Thanks for the info, I might go check it out today.

E
everett464
They throw fish in at the tip top of the canal by the D Street boat launch. I think lots of those fishies head to the pond, but quite a few of them kick it East of the freeway: my favorite place in the park.

S
skunk
Nice job, looks like you had fun. I love how your wife is holding the wooly bugger, that's how I usually feel. "No fish but look at my lure"

T
TTFishon
What color of wooly bugger were you using? I have found that the black wooly buggers with a red tail work the best.

E
everett464
I have used every color in the book with little effect: i.e. not even a tug. I am sure that if I stuck it out that I would get a feel for it, but so far nothing.

I think that afternoon, my wife had a purple #6 tied on, and I had a olive body brown tail. Like I said in the OP, if someone ever wants to teach a mini-course on Wooly Bugger technique, I would be stoked.

T
TTFishon
I've never used them on a flyrod before only with a sliding float(the kind you fill with water about 3/4 full) cast and retrieve very slow.

E
everett464
I think (although I am the furthest thing from an expert on the subject) that its the same deal with the fly rod. Floating line, you cast out, and employ a random 3-5" retrieve, until it is close, and then do it again.

I have read tons of articles on the technique, but haven't ever had any luck putting it to use. someday I will break the drought, and then it will be my favorite technique. That is what happened to me once I started catching fish on nymphs.

T
TTFishon
I used to fly fish about 15 years ago and I don't think I had much luck with wooly buggers on my fly rod. I think it's time to get another reel and give it a try.

M
marriemb
poor fish has been eye hooked :(

G
grampa ron
start out fishing where there are fish