31 pound pig!

M
MikePierce170
Yesterday my diving buddy Leigh and I went out looking for carp. We decided to try a spot new to us both and on a tip from someone that said it holds huge carp. Visibility was immediately suspect once we got to the launch. After anchoring up I did a quick test dive to see what the visibility was like. At 26ft I hit the bottom and confirmed my hunch that viz was going to be garbage lol. It was a giant dirt cloud down there so I decided to hug the rocks as visibility was at least workable over there. I immediately saw a lot of crappie, large and small mouth bass. A few of the bass I saw were in the 3lb range and remarkable brave. They came right up to me to see what I was, probably just protecting their nest I suppose. On my 4th or 5th dive I was tracking a decent sized small mouth when all of a sudden I saw a giant shadow behind it. I could tell from the silhouette it was a big carp. The fish was right on the edge of my workable visibility and towards the end of my shooting range. I took a chance and waited for him to turn broadside and let it rip. I knew I hit him but what shocked me was that the fish was actually towing me through the water. At one point in the video I held on to the gun with both hands because I seriously thought I might lose it if I didn't. Slowly I pulled the carp in and noticed that my spear didn't even go all the way through. I had to knife a hole on the other side of him just to get the spear all the way through. This fish was by far the best fight I've ever had on the spear.

Towards the end of the trip a sheriff asked Leigh and I to come ashore. It made me laugh but I wasn't surprised. Not every day do they see crazy asses spearing in freshwater haha. We got over there and he asked us what we were doing and I showed him the 31 pound carp. He was pretty shocked and surprised. He said in all his years out there he hadn't seen anyone spearfishing that area. He also said they'd had problems with people diving and spearing game fish. I highly doubt that though because 1.) it conflicts with his original statement and 2.) if you're spearing anywhere along the Columbia you're an immediate red flag for anyone watching lol. Then he got a call over the radio about a crazy person chasing someone with a knife, so he had to go.

All in all it was a great trip even though this was the only fish landed.

Reactions: Admin
F
FishFinger
CarpZilla!

Great kill.

Well being the SIZE of a salmon, a LEO could be confused. lol

C
CESAR503
that's awesome....wish I knew how to dive.....looks really fun man....thanks for sharing that cool video

I
igquick
damn it's freakin fat!

O
OnTheDrop
Big Carpski,

I've always been curious, what does one do with a dead carp?

M
MikePierce170
SteelmonKiller20, come over for dinner one night and I'll show you :)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Mike! He was towing you! One hell of a fish to tow a big guy like you. Wow! :worthy:

M
MikePierce170
Raincatcher said:
Mike! He was towing you! One hell of a fish to tow a big guy like you. Wow! :worthy:

Yeah it was crazy. I've never had a fish do that before. This fish had power and surprised me. If you watch the rocks in the video you can kinda see how far fish dragged me. Can't wait to shoot a bigger one :)

Also, the line I have attached to my spear is 300lb mono which is connected to a rubber shock cord. It's not easy to stretch that out and keep it stretched, but this fish did it.

T
troutmasta
MikePierce170 said:

You eat em?

M
MikePierce170
troutmasta said:
You eat em?

Hell, no lol. I just wanted to mess with him :D. I use them for bait.

E
eugene1
MikePierce170 said:
I knew I hit him but what shocked me was that the fish was actually towing me through the water.

You should get a kayak and fish for Fall chinook or sturgeon!

M
MikePierce170
I have 2 kayaks. And I have actually battled a 6 foot sturgeon in my kayak with nothing but a tail snare. True story. I literally thought I was going in the water when I let that snare go around his head lol. I had a hold of the snare in my left hand and had to lean all the way to the right to prevent from going in. Fortunately I was in 3ft of water and managed to get myself to shore to un-snare him and put him back in the water. The fish was massive.

E
eugene1
Nice! You must have been down in CA where snares were legal until recently? The power of fish is pretty cool. I love being towed around when I get a big nook on while I'm free drifting in my sled. Well they can't move it too much, but just feeling them change my drift slightly is pretty impressive.

Best,

MikePierce170 said:
I have 2 kayaks. And I have actually battled a 6 foot sturgeon in my kayak with nothing but a tail snare. True story. I literally thought I was going in the water when I let that snare go around his head lol. I had a hold of the snare in my left hand and had to lean all the way to the right to prevent from going in. Fortunately I was in 3ft of water and managed to get myself to shore to un-snare him and put him back in the water. The fish was massive.

O
OnTheDrop
MikePierce170 said:

Lol. I'll bring the beers, you bring the carp. Sounds good to me.

E
eugene1
Haha, I'll stay away!

SteelmonKiller20 said:
Lol. I'll bring the beers, you bring the carp. Sounds good to me.

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice fish mike. What a breast

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Awesome.

T
troutmasta
steelhead_slayer said:
Nice fish mike. What a breast

beast?

MikePierce170 said:
Hell, no lol. I just wanted to mess with him :D. I use them for bait.

Dang I some killer recipies I got from on the fly;)

M
mikeee2362
OINK! nice Vid!

Admin
Admin