3 guys limit out in 3 hours at Big Creek!

troutdude
troutdude
We had a blast at Big Creek Reservoir, on the north side of Newport! :D

We got onto the water about 7:45 a.m. and took out about 10:45.

We started out by stillfishing, from our boat, near the dam and boat ramp. While still fishing, we used sliding sinkers and the following baits:

Chartruese Power Eggs
Combination of Spring Green and Orange Power Eggs
Combination of Spring Green and Bubble Gum (pink and white) Power Eggs

All of the above produced fish. And, my buddy also cast and retrieved a wedding ring spinner and worm combo, with some success. Plus, I also had a few bumps casting (and later trolling) a brass colored Little Cleo wobbler / spoon.

Then, we switched to trolling. Buddy tried a brass colored deep diving Metlfly wobbler, with a few bumps and one landed. I used a 1/2 pink and 1/2 red wedding ring w/ a bit of worm. I caught more fish with that combo, than anything we tried all day. But, the Chartreuse Power Eggs was also a VERY good producer (and worked very fished way out from the bank in deeper water). :dance:

In short, we landed 15 fish in 3 hours (for 3 fishermen). We released about 6 - 8 others, and many, many other strikes and fish on but lost.

Weather was NOT as good as upon our return to the valley. It was much cooler, much windier and overcast. But, it was still a BLAST. Our fish ranged from 10" up to 14" and they all were hearty fighters...no joke. Some even danced on the water like steelhead. Plus, a few bankies caught some in the 16" - 17" class! A very good day had by all in attendance. :clap::clap:

L
lilsalmon
Yay....a very successful day :dance: Now I have another place to try...wonder why you had the place to yourself?...hmmmm

Good job!!!!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

troutdude
troutdude
Yes, kinda weird to be the only boat on the water. There were several bankies, but only us in a boat.

I heard it was crowded yesterday. So, maybe the other boaters had there fill from Friday? Dunno.

B
bigsteel
nice day Troutdude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats how to catch em and go home

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you. It was a great day!

E
ezdoesit
troutdude said:
Thank you. It was a great day!

Glad to hear you got after them. It's been tuff for me as a bankie having to argue with the Great blues trying to rob my stringer. And dealing with the bald eagles while a trout is trying to tell you to set the hook,is almost too much to deal with. Oh well, Maybe this week the Trophys will give me a shot and I'll be armed with a camera.
Peace out Bro.!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Dodging beaked creatures doesn't sound like any fun. We did see some Great Blues today...quite a few of them actually.

BTW, it seemed really strange that we were the only boat on the water. I wonder there weren't other boaters today?

Q
qwapaw
Good job Troutdude. Sounds like a fun day to me. Do you smoke those trout, Put them on a Barbe' of what. sounds like dinner to me no matter how you do it. How big is the reservoirs. I know nothing about it, but sound like a place to go while the wife shops. Tight lines my friend, Qwa

L
Lunkerhunter5000
I am visiting down from Portland for 3 days. I am heading down to Big creek today, will let you all know how it go's.

troutdude
troutdude
There are two reservoirs: Big Creek 1 (lower and the first one you come to), and Big Creek 2 (upper). The turn off is across Hwy. 101 from Wally World. And you can see it best on Google Maps.

The lower res. is hard to fish...VERY WEEDY. But, there are bass in there too; if that's your cup o' tea.

The upper Res. is where we always fish. They both provide water for the City of Newport--so NO GAS MOTORS! Only electric motors are allowed.

Good luck.

L
Lunkerhunter5000
I fished along the damn on the upper big creek 2 part. The guy on my left maxed out and the guy on my right almost did. As for me I had nothing! I tried worms, orange power bait, green power bait, eggs, and more. Just wasn't my day I guess.

troutdude
troutdude
Lunkerhunter5000 said:
I fished along the damn on the upper big creek 2 part. The guy on my left maxed out and the guy on my right almost did. As for me I had nothing! I tried worms, orange power bait, green power bait, eggs, and more. Just wasn't my day I guess.

That's exactly where we fished too...just a little farther out in a boat. On Saturday, everyone (bankies too) were doing best w/ Chartruese Bait/Power Eggs. But, I also got bites on a combination of Spring Green & Orange power eggs (1 of each color on the hook), and Bubble Gum too (pink and white).

One more trick. Use enough weight (a lot) to really fling it out into the deep water! I think you'll do well using these tactics.