3 Bull Trout...

S
Steelyfishn
I went spinner fishing today on the Mac after leaving my sisters place and caught 3 Bull Trout. I have fished the Mac for a lot of years and I have never caught 1 and managed 3 in the same hole today. To be modest the 1 in the pic (I did not touch the fish) was 12" the 2nd was easily 14" and the 3rd was a hog by my standards for trout easily over 20" and fought like a champ I thought I had a steely... Also caught a dozen all wild bows. What a great day on the Mac. And for the record all 3 Bull Trout were released unharmed and swam away as fierce as they fought... My hat is off to the most beautiful Trout I have ever seen

• IMG00249.jpg
brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome fish! and not trying to be a jerk but..bull trout are endangered i don't think it's very helpful to put them in the grass like that. it's easier to keep it at water level or atleast on the wet rocks on the bank snap a pic and release. way to go though, that just shows how much of a comeback those fish are making :clap:

S
Steelyfishn
I couldn't agree more just had a selfish moment and not to make excuses but that was the bank there were no rocks. But you are right and next time I will do what I did with the other 2 keep em in the water and remove the hook with pliers.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i know how it is bro you get all pumped up and just try to bank the fish :lol: i think we have all done it atleast once completely understandable :clap:

M
mgman6000
I thought you couldn't fish for trout in other than lakes now, I get soooo confused with the regs up here!!

troutdude
troutdude
I agree...very CONFUSING!

The Zone Reg's (Willy Zone) say streams are open May 28 - Oct. 31.

However, the Special Reg section for the Mac (from the Mouth upstream to Hayden Bridge) says open for trout entire year, catch and release only as per Zone Reg's? Huh???

From Hayden to Leaburg, it's open for now until April 22, but artificial flies and lures and C & R only.

So, I don't know what section Steely was fishing...or whether it was open water or not.

BTW, GOOD FOR YOU...at least you released those fish!

Last edited:
S
Steelyfishn
troutdude said:
I agree...very CONFUSING!

However, the Special Reg section for the Mac (from the Mouth upstream to Hayden Bridge) says open for trout entire year, catch and release only as per Zone Reg's? Huh???

From Hayden to Leaburg, it's open for now until April 22, but artificial flies and lures and C & R only.

So, I don't know what section Steely was fishing...or whether it was open water or not.

BTW, GOOD FOR YOU...at least you released those fish!

I don't understand what is so confusing about the Regs. In my opinion it clearly states when and what you can use to fish and if you can keep them or C&R them. I went below leaburg and C&R every fish I caught with the barbless treble and Siwash hooks. most if not all creeks and rivers have there own special regulations and clearly specify the Regulations. Not trying to be a jerk but what is it that is so confusing?

H
halibuthitman
Steelyfishn said:
I don't understand what is so confusing about the Regs. In my opinion it clearly states when and what you can use to fish and if you can keep them or C&R them. I went below leaburg and C&R every fish I caught with the barbless treble and Siwash hooks. most if not all creeks and rivers have there own special regulations and clearly specify the Regulations. Not trying to be a jerk but what is it that is so confusing?
amen... I think the problem is guys stare at the regs trying to find what they want to hear, instead of just READING the pamplet. Nice fish

troutdude
troutdude
I didn't intend to insinuate that you were fishing illegally, by any means. I even mentioned that I saw that you C & R'd those fish...that was not the issue.

But, here is what I found confusing (and MGM also thought is confusing):

The special reg for that area says "open entire year"; but then it directs you right back to the Zone Reg, that says "open from May 28 0 Oct. 31".

So which reg prevails is the question. And another good question, I think, is why are there different regs for different stretches of that river? Can't ODFW just simplify the deal, and one set of regs cover the entire river...instead of breaking it up and into sections?

B
bigsteel
the mckenzie has been open for trout up to hayden bridge ever since i can remember..the regs say open for trout entire year,,,its spelled out very clear....people make the regs more confusing then what they really are.
you can thank the people down there who wanted hatchery trout for harvest for all the different regs for each section,,above the dam they plant fish so they have regular trout season.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Josh! nice catch guy! Ive been wondering what you have been doing with your time. You should make it up this week, put a steelhead or two on the bank. Your slot is gonna be fishing good, Im gonna go drift some yarn under the bridge when the rain comes. Text me on my work cell.

G
GDBrown
halibuthitman said:
amen... I think the problem is guys stare at the regs trying to find what they want to hear, instead of just READING the pamplet. Nice fish

It can be confusing, some of us old timers remember when the whole state :shock:had one opening date and one closing date and we only fished for trout. I have to carry the regs with me now so when I fish a new river or lake I can check to see when and how I am allowed to fish.:rolleyes:

M
mgman6000
I came from Calif where the regs were simple up here you can get in trouble easily I went up to the upper Deschutes last fall and parts were open until Sept 30 other parts only to Aug 30 I was actually fishing in a part that had closed without knowing it, luckily I was told. If you weren't born up here or know the waters it is very confusing The regs book maps suck I wish they could put an interactive site up where you could simply click where you want to fish and the regs would pop up then you could print it out and take it with you. I don't know how much money is generated by fines but I bet a lot was because the person tagged wasn't aware of the special reg where he was. It takes the fun out of it being scared if you are breaking the law.

B
bigsteel
crane to wickiup open may28th to aug31st
little lava lake to crane open may28th to sep30th

all you have to do is google the upper deschutes section and get a map,and just go between the lake and 2 reservoirs.and match the regulations

R
RunWithSasquatch
A lot of the problem with people fishing out of season or against regulations, is lack of care, and effort. But this thread is going the wrong direction, if this is a serious topic, feel free to make a new thread, this one is about 3 bull trout and an experience on the Mckenzie river.

G
GDBrown
bigsteel said:
.....all you have to do is google the upper deschutes section and get a map,and just go between the lake and 2 reservoirs.and match the regulations

That works great if you know where you really are. I have problems when I travel to a new area of the state and the regs change based on a landmark I'm not familiar with. Like a bridge that I have never heard of or road that I can't find, even with a GPS! If I had mobile internet access it might not be so bad, but I won't ruin my outdoor experiences with that kind of technology.

M
mgman6000
Exactly! I don't know what they are talking about, as was said fishing should be a pleasent experience not one where you have to read maps and measure the distance from some landmark you never heard of. Why not insist they simplifly it? Is there a point on having season change in a 20 mile stretch of the same river?

B
bigsteel
mgman6000 said:
Exactly! I don't know what they are talking about, as was said fishing should be a pleasent experience not one where you have to read maps and measure the distance from some landmark you never heard of. Why not insist they simplifly it? Is there a point on having season change in a 20 mile stretch of the same river?

I dont know what to tell you other then the 2 stretches of the upper deschutes is between a dam and 2 lakes,,they state clearly which stretch is open which time.it is simplifies,,crane to wickiup means from crane praire down to wickiup,why is that so tough?yes there are good reasons for having different regs for that section because of the spawning browns and wild trout up there.

B
beaverfan
mgman6000 said:

Yes there's a point to it, they do it to keep fisherman from trampling on the redds of spawning fish, to protect spawning fish and to protect smolts. For the most part the regs are pretty dang simple, every now and then you run into something a little confusing but it's hardly something to be stressing out about. It's simple first you read the zone regs, then check and see if there are any special regs and last you just look at google maps. Three easy steps is all it takes.

Now as mentioned above a new thread should be started or something because this ones about this guys trip to the Mckenzie and some nice Bull trout.

T
Thuggin4Life
Bull trout are very cool looking fish. I managed a 14"er out of the mckenzie system last summer. Thought i had a 2lb bow on for sure. very cool looking fish. never got a pic though. Yeah deffinantly can't go by the zone regs. have to check out the special regs for where you are fishing. Central zone says lakes open all year but only 2 or 3 lakes really are.