29 point buck!!

H

halibuthitman

at 6 yrs old he's basicly mature and reached his peak for a midwest deer, lots of points and good bulk but very weak in the frame, Im suprised it made national news.. the artical sure framed the dedicated hunters into sounding like a bunch of wierdos spankin it in the closet to the cabellas master catalogue.. This buck is still for sure a lifetime animal and very impressive.. but a buck with that short of g-1 and g-2 tines and an average inside or outside spread is not national news-

Last edited:
T

TTFishon

at 6 yrs old he's basicly mature and reached his peak for a midwest deer, lots of points and good bulk but very weak in the frame, Im suprised it made national news.. the artical sure framed the dedicated hunters into sounding like a bunch of wierdos spankin it in the closet to the cabellas master catalogue.. This buck is still for sure a lifetime animal and very impressive.. but a buck with that short of g-1 and g-2 tines and an average inside or outside spread is not national news-

How would the meat be?

H

halibuthitman

well, since its probably been eating off a pile of crushed corn at a bait for two years.. not bad at all.. timber or sagebrush bucks are the ones that are pretty rugged, this bucks neck looks swollen a little.. if he was in the rut... the smell and upper shoulder and neck meats gonna be a little tangy.

H

halibuthitman

once again... not trying to steal this guys thunder..AWSOME buck... but 5 or 6 bucks like this are shot every year... and 5-6 are hit by cars.. and 15-20 are shot out of season and never see a camera or bragging wall.. and last but not least this buck was shot over bait...with a crossbow which as far as im concerned would be about the same as hitting it with your car-

Last edited:
troutdude

troutdude

Gotta love this part of the news story...

"What's the big deal, you ask. To an ardent deer hunter, this is the Megabucks winning ticket. This is the cherry 1957 Chevy Bel Air you find under a dusty cover while cleaning out grandpa's barn. This is a clear, daytime picture of a UFO, complete with a videotaped interview with the little green man."

It's writing like that...which "made" it onto the national press level.

H

halibuthitman

no shat... makes me wonder if his mom or sister wrote it... and I don't know about you but I would rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother holding a crossbow.... claiming to be a bow hunter

H

halibuthitman

it would be pretty hard to say.. mountain buck, coastal, or farm fed... a 4x4 with matching eye gaurds that goes for a total score of 130-150 would be my idea of a nice mountain buck... members could probably post some impressive photos if they wanted to to this thread..

T

TTFishon

I'd love to see OFF members deer pics. I wouldn't mind showing mine too, although it's probably not that impressive, but it was my first and only buck so far so it's impressive to me.

F

fishkiller

Nice buck!! He probably shot it from a heated tree stand over a bait station. Guys like that would leave western Oregon broken hearted and empty handed. The Blacktail never gets respect it deserves. They are quite cagey. I put in over 200 hours in the field this year and settled for a nice 3X and boy does he taste good.

G

Growbug

Real nice buck, if you are going for trophy points. I would rather take my longbow, or compound and take down a nice doe. Sure, it doesn't have the points on it, but it sure tastes a hulluva lot sweeter to me.

C

capblack

here are 3 nice blacktails that 3 of my hunting buddies got at the top of a clearcut while my other buddy and i were headed to the bottom in my truck. Believe it or not, they were standing together in the clearcut. I guess we went to the wrong end of the clearcut:( . the 3 point is a real nice buck in my book. This is the best day ive seen or heard of, hunting the weeds of western oregon. those whitetail racks just dont do it for me, they are too cookie cutter, ill take a nice blacktail or muley any day. Brian

Attachments

• Photo0022.jpg
    Photo0022.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
D

Damon79

Funny tid bit my wife just pointed out about the picture of the huge buck.. Notice the Handicap sign in the back ground? She did right off the bat.. She's pretty keen on things like that.. We just laughed..

F

fishkiller

here are 3 nice blacktails that 3 of my hunting buddies got at the top of a clearcut while my other buddy and i were headed to the bottom in my truck. Believe it or not, they were standing together in the clearcut. I guess we went to the wrong end of the clearcut:( . the 3 point is a real nice buck in my book. This is the best day ive seen or heard of, hunting the weeds of western oregon. those whitetail racks just dont do it for me, they are too cookie cutter, ill take a nice blacktail or muley any day. Brian

WOW!! Nice 3pt, nice spread. That would be a trophy in my book. I'm a meat hunter not a horn hunter. Congrats.

H

halibuthitman

Im not a meat hunter... therefore I often pass up a lot of shots at deer some years... now any elk is a good elk but im not pulling the trigger on a spike on opening morning. I usally have seen the bull or buck I want to shoot several times before the season starts.... and + 1 on the muley over whitetail.. but I must admit I tried "harvesting" ( doesn't that sound better than cold bloodedly gunning down? ) a whitetail buck with a recurve... and ended up on shooting a doe the last day after 3 different bucks beat my arrow... hard!

T

TTFishon

Here's my first and only buck. Mine's the small one. Shot him with my buddies 243 from 150 yards.
100_2061.jpg

H

halibuthitman

that is a morbid use for a radio flyer wagon! but nice bucks!

T

TTFishon

that is a morbid use for a radio flyer wagon! but nice bucks!

Yeah, my buddy didn't want to drag his buck a mile and a half down a logging road so he went home a got his son's wagon.:lol: Then on the way back in I shot mine. We saw 3 other bucks that day too. Oh and thanks :D