27 inches of joy

J
just1nook
Well, caught my first salmonid this am without any help from somebody elses boat! Woo that took a lot of hours on the water. Caught him in the riffle in Gladstone between the small bridges. Coon shrimp with a sparkly green corkie. I think its a summer right?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

B
BIG D
Congrats to ya, was down at riverside today and didn't see or hear of any cought, did you catch it from the bank? real nice looking fish, Injoy

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go!

Way to go!

just1nook;
Eeeeeehaaaa! You did it! Now we'll know where to find you...you're hooked!
Be safe.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
Good work Chris. Nice fish for sure, biut I do believe it is a nice Winter. All the Summers I have hooked this year had clear, or very close to clear fins. That one is still very fresh, and I bet it cut, and will eat well. Good work on the Coon dogs.... That fish sure ate it up! Haha! Again, nice fish Chris.

K
kfallscody
Looks like 27 inches of jumping up and down not caring who sees.. to me! :) Nice fish!

K
Kodiak
Sweet!

Sweet!

Nice job! Now a summer, springer, coho, fall nook and you will have completed the Oregon grand slam!

A
ArcticAmoeba
And his first Steel was a grand slam too. Pretty nice fish for a first!:cool: 8+ no guts, no eggs!:shock:

M
mgdguy
congrats! Still searching for my first winter... :rolleyes:

K
Kodiak
Tremendous!

Tremendous!

ArcticAmoeba said:
And his first Steel was a grand slam too. Pretty nice fish for a first!:cool: 8+ no guts, no eggs!:shock:

Thats a big fish! Even Nicer!

B
BobberDown
congrats nothing like braking i on a winter steelhead keep up the good work Dan

J
just1nook
ArcticAmoeba said:
Good work Chris. Nice fish for sure, biut I do believe it is a nice Winter. All the Summers I have hooked this year had clear, or very close to clear fins. That one is still very fresh, and I bet it cut, and will eat well. Good work on the Coon dogs.... That fish sure ate it up! Haha! Again, nice fish Chris.

A guy on the bank today said something about winters having clipped mandibles or something around the jaw. Does he know what he's talkin about?

J
Johnny Southpaw
Congrats Just1nook! Hell of a fish! Welcome to the club! I spent an entire season fishing for winter metalheads with no luck; my next season I caught one, which got me HOOKED; this season I've hooked ten and landed five. My favorite color is now chrome. So, keep working hard and you'll find your skills improving and more fish on your line to show for it. Again, nice fish man.:clap::clap::clap:

J
Jig'n
Nice fish! :clap:

O
osmosis
mandibles? hahaha.

some winters and summers NOT ALL, have a clipped maxillary -changes whether it's right of left constantly.
Many of the eagle creek fish, like that little 27" winter will be adipose and have a ventral fin clipped

J
just1nook
osmosis said:
mandibles? hahaha.

some winters and summers NOT ALL, have a clipped maxillary -changes whether it's right of left constantly.
Many of the eagle creek fish, like that little 27" winter will be adipose and have a ventral fin clipped

So you can't tell winter vs summer by the clipping pattern?

How do you tell?

Is there a resource to look up the various clip patterns, tried to find one on the web with no luck. Found an old post on MeFish from '03 claiming summers were only adipose clipped, and winters had one more depending on which strain it was. Kevin's driftboat site on YouTube has a video showing winter and summer fom the clack side by side, he claims the fish with max clips is a summer.
Confusing and contradictory:confused:

L
luv2fish
just1nook said:
A guy on the bank today said something about winters having clipped mandibles or something around the jaw. Does he know what he's talkin about?

his concept is right ...but he just took wrong name..its the maxillary..the upper jaw...not the lower which is mandible....