23 lb common

J
john montana
I found some nice fish today! All told I landed around 25 carp, with a bunch in the teens, and a couple of 20s...great day of carping!

c3c5f94b.jpg

That fish was 23 lbs, and I landed a 21 lber just a few minutes before that one. *Most of the fish took a standard green soft hackle with a red worm tail. Some of the reactions were great today, but most of them were pretty subtle. *The fish would slightly turn to the fly, or the tail would speed up...intriguing stuff.

520509dc.jpg

e7079dea.jpg

75b4bc80.jpg

b1e6a58c.jpg

Great day on the water!

S
Sinkline
Excellent work John! :cool:

Got any photos of that fly? Sounds interesting.

Randy

T
Throbbit _Shane
Very nice as always!

M
MikePierce170
That's a PIG of a fish. Nice work John.

V
Van
Very nice!

F
flocaster
That's awesome! You really seem to have perfected an art almost no one else has an interest in. It's cool to see someone who does such a good job of bringing attention to an oft ignored species

Reactions: todd_brooks
W
wozniasm
:clap::clap::clap:

J
john montana
Great day on the water! plus, I actually had my buddy from MN on the phone when I hooked and landed the 21 lber...that was fun.

troutdude
troutdude
As you reeled in those monsters...I'd swear that I heard you say...

"here piggy piggy piggy..."

Nicely done once again.

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done there John!! Looks like you had a blast there dude!! Congrats, and multi-tasking non-the-less: fishing while talking on the phone!!!!! :clap:

-Spydey

J
john montana
I will try to get a picture of the fly tonight randy. I need to restock my arsenal and will hopefully hit the vice. Simple fly, but it works.

The fish were in inches of water yesterday. Backs out, rooting amongst the gravel. It was cool. I would sneak within range and put the soft hackle on them, then watch and if the turned set the hook. Very neat visuals.

Last edited:
J
john montana
Horrible call phone picture, but all I can do tonight randy.

348d1a33.jpg

Chenille tail, black ice chenille for the body, yellow pheasant tail hackle and black dumbell eyes. Basic, basic, basic.

But the carp like it.

F
flocaster
john montana said:
Horrible call phone picture, but all I can do tonight randy.

348d1a33.jpg

Chenille tail, black ice chenille for the body, yellow pheasant tail hackle and black dumbell eyes. Basic, basic, basic.

Maybe basic if you're an experienced tier but if I made something that looks that good I'd be feelin pretty good! LOL. Nice fly though!!!

T
todd_brooks
Nice report as usual Mr. Montana, I like your style.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
john montana
That is my go to pattern, but the red worm tail is new. In the last year or so I have caught about 80 percent of my carp on a green soft hackle. My buddy added the worm tail recently, and it worked. I played with it last time out and had good results as well. The carp out here eat a lot of clams, and that fly can look like a nymph, small crayfish, aquatic worm or even a clam (the worm tail looks like the extended foot). I will try it again this weekend at the carp tournament at banks lake.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
john montana
Should be fun! The best prize is for the smallest carp, so I will have to adjust a bit. I don't know the water at all, so I am at a big disadvantage there. The smallest carp wins an Orvis Helios 8 wt...not bad. Second smallest fish wins an Orvis Access 8 wt. they are also giving put a couple of reels...I am after the smallest carp if I can pull it off!

F
flocaster
Smallest fish...now that should prove interesting! I can't wait to see some pics of your smallest carp! I can picture it now.....you out there with your nice gear, hand tied flies, bandana hiding your face as you sneak up as stealthily as you can hoping to perfectly present your fly to an 8 inch carp! LOL

S
Sinkline

Last edited: