2019 Hobie Outback 'roll and recovery' practice

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Safety on the water is something I take very seriously. Plus, I love really getting to know a new boat and when the plan is to go swimming and flip it several times, you can really push the envelope.
(couple of details: I'm 6' even and 185#, Kokotat GoreTex Supernova Angler suit and Leviathan PFD. Nothing in the front hold, normal rod holders and flag).

hkcSKIe.jpg

Besides just having fun on a new Hobie, my goal in an emergency situation (mine or someone else's) is to be able to repeat (with confidence) something I have already done in a controlled situation.

The new Outback is amazing- this boat fights to stay upright. period.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/1dQDLCR.jpg"}[/IMG2]

the key to re-entry is the rear deck, which is what I was hoping since I plan to keep that area clear and also would use it for canine recovery.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/9pum7jc.jpg"}[/IMG2]

My best up-righting process is: "climb over the top from the side the paddle is on, grab the unused paddle bungie on the other side, pull the boat over towards you". (the Guardian Transducer mount works as a hand hold and makes it easy to get over the top).

here is the video, it includes what didn't work and what did. cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Admin and Aervax
P
pinstriper
Great video, Roger.

I've practiced getting over the side of my Predator when I had it, and my 2015 Outback, and your video shows the same issue with these wide, stable boats. It is hard to reach all the way over to the other gunwale and pull yourself over the near side. The PFD makes that harder, as does any amount of belly. The rear entry makes it easier to get your center of gravity past the gunwale and then the boat's stability starts working for you again.

I have to admit I never got around to clearing stuff off the rear - in fact I made things worse by mounting Boondox wheels.

It occurs to me that the new Outback rudder design gets that nicely out of the way for rear entry, as well.

bass
bass
Great video Roger!

For me, the issue would be that I always have a crate on the back so I don't think I will ever be able to use the rear deck for re-entry. I am about 6'4" so reaching the far side 0f my 2011 Outback is not too big a deal for me. Plus, I carry so much crap with me my Outback always rides low to the water :)

Also, while the rear deck entry was clearly easier and better your front re-entry did not look too hard. I think especially if you moved that rod holder out of the way. Do you typically fish without a crate?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bass said:
Great video Roger!

For me, the issue would be that I always have a crate on the back so I don't think I will ever be able to use the rear deck for re-entry. I am about 6'4" so reaching the far side 0f my 2011 Outback is not too big a deal for me. Plus, I carry so much crap with me my Outback always rides low to the water :)

Also, while the rear deck entry was clearly easier and better your front re-entry did not look too hard. I think especially if you moved that rod holder out of the way. Do you typically fish without a crate?
I only use a crate on my i11s.

I think on this new Outback, a crate is totally unnecessary and just in the way.

4 sets of gear-trax + 2 H-rails, huge hold up front, rectangular hold in front of the seat plus room under the seat at med. and high setting, and tackle boxes fit between the front gear-trax and H-rails. Large cup holders to each side of the wide seat. I can't think of what to put in a crate.

I plan to toss stringers of lings and rockfish on the back deck (when Pepper isn't there), crab will go in the front hold. My crab pots ride over the front hold real nice, I will post a fully rigged picture soon.

bass
bass
rogerdodger;n614468 said:
I only use a crate on my i11s.

I think on this new Outback, a crate is totally unnecessary and just in the way.

4 sets of gear-trax + 2 H-rails, huge hold up front, rectangular hold in front of the seat plus room under the seat at med. and high setting, and tackle boxes fit between the front gear-trax and H-rails. Large cup holders to each side of the wide seat. I can't think of what to put in a crate.

I plan to toss stringers of lings and rockfish on the back deck (when Pepper isn't there), crab will go in the front hold. My crab pots ride over the front hold real nice, I will post a fully rigged picture soon.

That is a fair point but the most important use of the crate for me is to hold rods. I often take out 6 rods on a multi-species day. I have 4 on my crate and then I use the built-in rear rod holders. I use the built-in front rod holders only as a temporary spot to drop a rod into when I am unhooking a fish or re-tying. I also added 2 flush mount scotty holders up front for trolling. I can't see how I could carry 6 rods without a crate. Minimalist and I rarely collide in the same sentence :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bass said:
That is a fair point but the most important use of the crate for me is to hold rods. I often take out 6 rods on a multi-species day. I have 4 on my crate and then I use the built-in rear rod holders. I use the built-in front rod holders only as a temporary spot to drop a rod into when I am unhooking a fish or re-tying. I also added 2 flush mount scotty holders up front for trolling. I can't see how I could carry 6 rods without a crate. Minimalist and I rarely collide in the same sentence :)
6 would be easy, use the 2 rear molded in rod holders and have 4 rod holders on the gear-trax, there is room to spread them.

I carry 4 rods, using the rear molded in holders and the 2 rocket launchers you can see on the rear of my boat. I could add another rod holder to each side at the back of the gear-trax and have 3 rods spaced out on each side.

bass
bass
rogerdodger;n614470 said:
6 would be easy, use the 2 rear molded in rod holders and have 4 rod holders on the gear-trax, there is room to spread them.

I carry 4 rods, using the rear molded in holders and the 2 rocket launchers you can see on the rear of my boat. I could add another rod holder to each side at the back of the gear-trax and have 3 rods spaced out on each side.

Thanks Roger! That does sound like it would work quite well. I sure would not mind leaving the crate at home.

bass
bass
Hey Roger, I got to sit in a 2019 Outback at West Coast Sailing in North Portland. There is definitely a good bit more legroom in the 2019 compared to my 2011. I think it is mostly due to the vantage seat so it may not have more legroom than say a 2018 but it is definitely better than a 2011. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how to make room in the garage for another kayak! My plan is to keep the 2011 for my son to use so I need to get a little creative.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bass;n614588 said:
Hey Roger, I got to sit in a 2019 Outback at West Coast Sailing in North Portland. There is definitely a good bit more legroom in the 2019 compared to my 2011. I think it is mostly due to the vantage seat so it may not have more legroom than say a 2018 but it is definitely better than a 2011. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how to make room in the garage for another kayak! My plan is to keep the 2011 for my son to use so I need to get a little creative.

excellent, I spent today crabbing from mine and it was amazing, this thing is a crabbing machine. going back tomorrow and then putting together a video of what I found worked best...cheers, roger