2019 ground fishing regs

rogerdodger

all good with regard to our bottom fishing regs in 2019:

"The Commission adopted recreational and commercial nearshore groundfish fisheries regulations for 2019 as proposed by staff. Next year’s regulations are very similar to 2018 regulations. The general marine bag limit will again be 5 fish. The lingcod, cabezon, and longleader fishery bag limits will also be the same as 2018, and retention of blue/deacon rockfish will be allowed in the longleader fishery. New for 2019, yelloweye rockfish allowances have increased, so recreational fishing will be allowed out to the 40 fathom line (instead of 30 fathom line) during the seasonal depth restriction, and the restriction is proposed to start one month later, on May 1. "

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2018/12_december/120718b.asp

Irishrover

I like the way they handled it last year. They built in the flexibility to lower the rock fish limit and did just that mid season and then brought it back to 5 after the pressure lightened. I thought it showed active management of the fishery, and to me that is a good thing.

rogerdodger

I like the way they handled it last year. They built in the flexibility to lower the rock fish limit and did just that mid season and then brought it back to 5 after the pressure lightened. I thought it showed active management of the fishery, and to me that is a good thing.
agreed, full marks. Important to remember also that in early September, when they increased our bag limit back to 5, we were about to hit our annual limit for Yelloweye mortality, which could have shut our rec. fishery down completely. The ODFW groundfishing team worked with the Pacific Fisheries Management Council to shift enough unused Yelloweye quota from other places to keep us open.

"Yelloweye rockfish is still tracking high, said Lynn Mattes, ODFW recreational groundfish project leader. However, she added, the Pacific Fishery Management Council is projecting enough unused yelloweye rockfish for the Oregon recreational bottomfish fishery to proceed."

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2018/09_september/091818.asp