2019 Angling license and tags cost are-

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
staying the same, no changes.

they will increase for 2020 because there is a schedule that has them increasing on even years....so feel free to bitch and moan next year.

but for now, let's celebrate no cost increases for 2019!

Reactions: Ikijime, Raincatcher and troutdude
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I just want waterproof paper for mine!

Reactions: Ikijime
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
I just want waterproof paper for mine!
'good luck with that' or 'sucks to be you'. There are 2 options for 2019:
-------------
Buy your license/tags online
Great for people who want to buy at home, and/or carry their documents on their smartphone

------------
Or:
-----------
Visit an ODFW office or license vendor
Great for people who don’t use a computer or smartphone

• Call first to make sure your local vendor is set up to begin selling licenses in the new system, or check the MyODFW.com website for a list of active agents.
  • Or, go to an ODFW office that sells licenses.
  • Be patient while the vendor verifies or creates your ODFW account. Check the FAQs to see which will apply to you.
  • Remember to bring your old license with your hunter/angler ID number. If you don’t have your hunter/angler ID, the vendor will need your last name, date of birth and either the phone number or email address associated with the account*.
  • Select a way to keep your license/tags dry. They’ll be printed on regular printer paper, so you’ll need a Ziploc/plastic bag or other way to protect them from the elements.
-------------

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
with regard to 'electronic tagging', a nice feature is that you can just 'pin' your current location, no need to enter a tag code.
-------------
Will I have to pin my location when I tag my fish or animal electronically?

Customers will have the option of either pinning the location of their harvest or providing the wildlife management unit or fishery location code. ODFW recognizes the potential sensitivity of personal hunting and fishing locations and will be evaluating options to address confidentiality issues associated with the new system.
---------------

ideally the system will also know which species are valid to retain and tag at the location you pin, I haven't confirmed yet if that is part of the initial system.

Reactions: Southpaw
Admin
Admin
I think that ODFW Electronic Licensing System is cool.

T
Throbbit _Shane
2019 the year of inconvenience.

2020 another cost increase.

I see sales of licenses dwindling even more.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I dont own or want a cell phone, they should have just left it the way it was and let people do the Phone thing as an option! The old licence fit well in my wallet now I might need a man purse to carry a wad of paper and plastic bags, not going to happen!

Irishrover
Irishrover
No way, do not pin you location! That gives them the lat/lon of where you are fishing, then it becomes public record and subject to a FOIA request. Next it will be on the front page of the paper or google or Face Book! Then there will be thousands of folks fishing your spot!

(tongue in cheek);)

Reactions: Ikijime and Raincatcher
Irishrover
Irishrover
I have an I-Phone, but even with 12 grandkids sometimes it's hard for me to find one to help me operate it. I go to the district office as it's a requirement for the pioneer license anyway.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I have a printer I used once last year doing my taxes as the State no longer proves tax forms! I bet you 50 bucks it will malfunction and the reason I say that is the ink cartridges cost 50 bucks so you will pay me for them! By the way you only get one chance to print your license! After that who knows they charge you again? I am all for technology but you cannot force me to wear a GPS device all day! The lost revenue from the mom and pops selling licenses will be in the millions! To all walking around all day with your face staring at a phone screen texting you got an addiction and they know it!

Markk
Markk
It is your resposibility for your phone to be charged. I don’t like my phone exposed to rain or wet elements. I will stay with paper....

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
this isn't difficult- starting with 2019 you have 3 choices: 1- buy online and use your smartphone, 2- buy online and print at home, or 3- buy at a license agent or ODFW office and they will print them for you. you don't need a smartphone, computer, or printer.

the only thing going away, to save a bunch of money, is the system of special printers that used the waterproof paper. nobody is being forced to use electronic licensing and tagging on their phone. at most, people staying with printed credentials are being required to keep them dry.

"The new system is expected to save $2 million annually, thanks to the elimination of specialty paper and computer equipment and overall lower cost of the system. "

T
Throbbit _Shane
rogerdodger said:
this isn't difficult- starting with 2019 you have 3 choices: 1- buy online and use your smartphone, 2- buy online and print at home, or 3- buy at a license agent or ODFW office and they will print them for you. you don't need a smartphone, computer, or printer.

the only thing going away, to save a bunch of money, is the system of special printers that used the waterproof paper. nobody is being forced to use electronic licensing and tagging on their phone. at most, people staying with printed credentials are being required to keep them dry.

"The new system is expected to save $2 million annually, thanks to the elimination of specialty paper and computer equipment and overall lower cost of the system. "
It may not be difficult for some. But is definitely a inconvenience from the former system.

Reactions: GaryP1958
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I can see pluses and minuses to the new system. I haven't decided which route to go yet. I kind of like the idea of having it all on a app on my phone, although, since I am not very good at keeping my phone charged, this means I am now going to have to buy one of those battery pack charger things. If I go the paper route then I have to keep that dry also. I typically don't carry my tags in my wallet like a lot of folks seem to, so I don't mind if they are more bulky. I have three questions about the new system that I haven't been able to find answers to though.

1. If a guy was to choose to go with a paper tag, then are we allowed to laminate it? Or is that a "no-no"? The government can be kind of weird about those things.
2. If a guy chooses to use the app, do we still have to do the hunter reporting on top of filling out the info for our harvest that will then upload to ODFW? Or will we only have to do the reporting on tags that we aren't successful on?
3. This last question is rather trivial. I know the app will work offline, or if your phone is in airplane mode, but will it work if my phone is in battery saver mode? That is what I tend to have it in when I go hunting, but I only have access to a very limited number of features.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
my observations after buying my 2019 credentials this morning:

1-on-line purchase was simple: logged into myODFW account, load cart, enter CC info, done.
2-opened the app on my phone, list of credentials is displayed, no need to log-in or enter a password again.
3- all my 2018 credentials also loaded and are available for the rest of this year (I just need my paper 2018 tag for the rest of this year).
4- I turned off WiFi and Data, restarted the phone, touched the app icon and all my credentials are displayed, they are stored in the phone.
(the orange box at the bottom of this image says "You are in Off-line Mode".

KkWJQGq.jpg

5- best thing for me so far- my Non-motorized Invasive Species permit is in my list of credentials, I have 4 non-motorized boats and always carry my phone, so I will always have my Invasive Species permit with me from now on, one less thing to think about.

Markk
Markk
I believe some venders are offering 8 1/2 x 11 waterproof paper for an additional $.50 per sheet.

Reactions: GaryP1958
hobster
hobster
This is cool and all, but I wish they stayed with the old tags. They could have done the online thing and stayed with the old tags as well. Paper just seems stupid, and I don't trust my smartphone. Old school

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Markk said:
I believe some venders are offering 8 1/2 x 11 waterproof paper for an additional $.50 per sheet.
Which ones? Bi Mart will sell you a plastic laminate!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hobster said:
This is cool and all, but I wish they stayed with the old tags. They could have done the online thing and stayed with the old tags as well. Paper just seems stupid, and I don't trust my smartphone. Old school

gotta disagree on this one, I think electronic tagging is going to be sweet.

catch fish
open phone
tap "use this location"
select species from menu.
tap "done"

as for paper tagging, I've gone to do that and several times my pen failed to work, (salt water and months in my PFD not good for ball points). Always carry a back-up pen just in case. done with that.

on the other hand, over the hundred and hundreds of days I have been out fishing with a smartphone over the last 5 years, my battery has never died and I've only killed one phone (Umpqua flipped me near Scottsburg in April, dead phone last of my concerns when that happened).

so I'm feeling good about e-tagging. cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
GaryP1958 said:
Which ones? Bi Mart will sell you a plastic laminate!
Fisherman’s in Portland