2018 Blacktail thread

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Figured it’d be me or TheKnigit to start this bad boy off. I got lucky and drew the Stott Mtn premium deer tag so I’ve been hunting since August and I’ve already passed on 9 bucks, (4 spikes, 4 forkies, and a small 3 point) all too small to put a premium tag on this early. I’ll be in Burns area hunting mulies on my 100 series tag the first four days of general rifle season but I’ll restart on blacktails when I get back. Good luck this year guys! Hope we all tag out! Pics of bucks I’ve passed on so far.

• photo32703.png
  • photo32704.png
  • photo32704.png
  • photo32705.png
  • photo32705.png
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good hunting out there to everyone! Stay safe!!
(made this a sticky :hi:)

F
Fred
Totally random but how does deer meat taste?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Glad you got out there and saw a couple man!!! We opted to skip opening weekend this year due to some ridiculous crazy planning. High Cascades season was a bust, so it is time to bring on the blacktails. Good luck out east.

Fred I think deer tastes fantastic, but it depends on the deer and it depends very heavily on how you process it. If it is hung properly, and you take the time to cut out the hard fat and silver skin, it is a very tender and tight grained meat. As in it cuts relatively effortlessly with a butter knife tender. It has a little bit heavier flavor than a beef steak will, but I don't notice any gamy flavor to most of the cuts. The burger can be a little bit gamy if you don't mix it with anything, but our burger tends to be made up of the scrape odds and end pieces which seem to hold the gamy flavor.

The flavor, and texture, of the meat will also change a little bit depending on what the deer has been eating and how old it is. Whether it is living up in the mountains and eating forage, or is there a farmers field close by where they can eat lush grasses, or is it a mulie from the east where there is a lot of sage to munch on.

F
Fred
TheKnigit;n614110 said:
Glad you got out there and saw a couple man!!! We opted to skip opening weekend this year due to some ridiculous crazy planning. High Cascades season was a bust, so it is time to bring on the blacktails. Good luck out east.

Fred I think deer tastes fantastic, but it depends on the deer and it depends very heavily on how you process it. If it is hung properly, and you take the time to cut out the hard fat and silver skin, it is a very tender and tight grained meat. As in it cuts relatively effortlessly with a butter knife tender. It has a little bit heavier flavor than a beef steak will, but I don't notice any gamy flavor to most of the cuts. The burger can be a little bit gamy if you don't mix it with anything, but our burger tends to be made up of the scrape odds and end pieces which seem to hold the gamy flavor.

The flavor, and texture, of the meat will also change a little bit depending on what the deer has been eating and how old it is. Whether it is living up in the mountains and eating forage, or is there a farmers field close by where they can eat lush grasses, or is it a mulie from the east where there is a lot of sage to munch on.

Interesting ill have to try some deer meat for myself.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Well it was tag soup season for me. For deer anyways. My brother and I did end up taking our first bear together, but no deer.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Little cousin, little brother and I all got one this year. I still have a 600 series “any deer” tag so I’m trying for another buck. All these deer were shot with my new Weatherby .300 Win Mag. Shot distances of 256, 352, and 375 yards. All one shot kills.

Reactions: Admin
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
TheKnigit Thanks bud! And congrats on the bear!