2013 Fishing Regs

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Just read the entire 2013 fishing regs, and no mention of barbless hooks being required for salmon & steelhead on the willamette. Looks like a dropshot rig is illegal now based on the anti-snagging rule. Looks like short, 12" or so leaders for salmon/steelhead are now forbidden (unless flat-lined without a weight) since we can't attach a weight less than 18" above lure/bait.

"Weights may not be attached below
or less than 18 inches above the lure or bait."

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Looks like short, 12" or so leaders for salmon/steelhead are now forbidden (unless flat-lined without a weight) since we can't attach a weight less than 18" above lure/bait.

"Weights may not be attached below
or less than 18 inches above the lure or bait."

It looks like that was the same rule, as was in the 2012 reg book.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Hmmm...wonder why they highlighted it in blue for 2013. Oh well. It's still ambiguous. I can't tell if these are general, statewide regs for anti-snagging, or site-specific. It looks like they might be sight-specific, and bass fishing in certain areas may still allow for drop shot rigs. Difficult to tell from the way things are written. There are several spot-specific sites with a narrowly defined range of dates where the "Anti-snagging rules" are in effect. I'm not sure if these rules apply to all bodies of water all the time, or just some bodies of water at specific times of the year.

Last edited:
S
SINKER STEVE
Check odfw's web site

barbless hooks in the columbia, willamette up to the falls and up to the first bridge on the clack. One sturgon per year for 2013

troutdude
troutdude
I've definitely got to agree: the reg's are sometimes pretty confusing!

In general, the reg book starts out (in the first few pages) with regs that apply Statewide. From that point, they then get more specific by Zone. Then, there are "Special" regs for specific water bodies, within each zone.

If you need help sorting it out; I'd recommend calling (or emailing) ODFW directly. They've always been very helpful, whenever I've contacted them.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
SINKER STEVE said:
Check odfw's web site

barbless hooks in the columbia, willamette up to the falls and up to the first bridge on the clack. One sturgon per year for 2013

Thanx, Sinker. I just found the info on their website. So now I'm wondering if I need to convert all my smallmouth crankbaits to barbless hooks for when i'm fishing the Willamette below the Falls. Guess I will call ODFW.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Thanx, Sinker. I just found the info on their website. So now I'm wondering if I need to convert all my smallmouth crankbaits to barbless hooks for when i'm fishing the Willamette below the Falls. Guess I will call ODFW.
No the barbless regulation is just in effect while fishing for salmon and steelhead.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Irishrover said:
No the barbless regulation is just in effect while fishing for salmon and steelhead.

Thanks for the update. I suppose I won't pull out the pliers just yet.

C
ChezJfrey
Irishrover said:

And it is indeed in effect for 2013 as I am on the email notification from ODFW and received messages about it. Also in effect on the Clack to the 99 bridge.

R
rippin fish lips
ChezJfrey said:
And it is indeed in effect for 2013 as I am on the email notification from ODFW and received messages about it. Also in effect on the Clack to the 99 bridge.

YUppp! :D

B
Big3d
Is a bent down barb considered barbed? I have so many octopus hooks that i was hoping i could bend them down and use them, but i dont want to find out the hard way if thats ok or not! Anyone know for sure?

bass
bass
Big3d said:
Is a bent down barb considered barbed? I have so many octopus hooks that i was hoping i could bend them down and use them, but i dont want to find out the hard way if thats ok or not! Anyone know for sure?

From the 2013 regulations (although this has been in there for a while):

Barbless Hook: A hook manufactured without barbs or a hook with the point barb removed or bent down to the shank.

Pinching down the barbs on a hook is fine. I think that it is just supposed to feel smooth if you run your thumb over it. I buy barbed hooks and mash them for sturgeon.

Irishrover
Irishrover
If i'm debarbing a bunch of hooks for ocean fishing I use my dremel. A couple of passes and the hook is good to go.

bass
bass
Irishrover said:
If i'm debarbing a bunch of hooks for ocean fishing I use my dremel. A couple of passes and the hook is good to go.

I usually just do it hook by hook as I use them. I grab the barb with my needle-nose pliers and rotate the hook. This breaks off the barb cleanly on most of the hooks (Gamakatsu circle octopus 7/0 or 8/0). If there is a nub I use my diamond hook hone to file it off. Just takes a couple of seconds. I keep thinking I should do my hooks in advance, but I just can't seem to find the time.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Luckly I'm retired and have the time to get things set up a head of time. Too much motion in the boat sometimes to be working on the hooks. I debarb them, tie up the mooching rig, push the sharp hook pionts into a wine cork then wrap the line around the cork. When I need a new set up I just grab a cork with the hooks and line already to go and I'm back in the water fishing post haste! The hard part is drinking all the wine so I have enough corks.

B
Big3d
thanks, just saved me a trip to the sporting goods store!

F
fredaevans
Minor thought only. True if your weight is 'lead,' gear chucker sort of thing. Not the case if you're using a fly rod. Longer leader is a 'snagging' rig sort of thing.